[boost] [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

12

[boost] [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
Hello all,

I'm trying to get ScopeExit to work on Sun.

1) First it looked like all tests fail on this compiler:
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/scope_exit.html

2) However, I installed Solaris Studio 12.3 on my Ubuntu 10 and it seems that I can compile ScopeExit just fine with the following"

$ CC -I /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/ -I ../../.. -DBOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION world_seq.cpp

Note that:
a) Sun does not support variadic macros so only ScopeExit sequence syntax will work.
b) Sun does not support native type-of so BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION needs to be defined.

Therefore, all original ScopeExit type-of emulation tests named `emulation_...` should compile (because they use the sequence syntax and define BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION). However, they fail... why?

3) Why when I click on the "fail" link for these tests I get no information on the Sun compiler's output?

For example:
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-emulation-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-link-static-stdlib-sun-stlport.html

If I follow this link I get "Error extracting file: No matching files were found.". What does this mean?

Thanks a lot!
--Lorenzo

Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

Steven Watanabe-4
AMDG

On 03/24/2012 08:54 AM, lcaminiti wrote:

> 3) Why when I click on the "fail" link for these tests I get no information
> on the Sun compiler's output?
>
> For example:
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-emulation-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-link-static-stdlib-sun-stlport.html

It looks like the Boost.Test library failed to build.

> If I follow this link I get "Error extracting file: No matching files were
> found.". What does this mean?

This is an error from the server, not an error from
the regression test run.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

Stefan Teleman-2
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 11:54, lcaminiti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get ScopeExit to work on Sun.
>
> 1) First it looked like all tests fail on this compiler:
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/scope_exit.html
>
> 2) However, I installed Solaris Studio 12.3 on my Ubuntu 10 and it seems
> that I can compile ScopeExit just fine with the following"
>
> $ CC -I /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/ -I ../../.. -DBOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION
> world_seq.cpp
>
> Note that:
> a) Sun does not support variadic macros so only ScopeExit sequence syntax
> will work.
> b) Sun does not support native type-of so BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION needs to be
> defined.
>
> Therefore, all original ScopeExit type-of emulation tests named
> `emulation_...` should compile (because they use the sequence syntax and
> define BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION). However, they fail... why?
>
> 3) Why when I click on the "fail" link for these tests I get no information
> on the Sun compiler's output?
>
> For example:
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-emulation-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-link-static-stdlib-sun-stlport.html
>
> If I follow this link I get "Error extracting file: No matching files were
> found.". What does this mean?

Hi.

Could you please try passing:

-Qoption ccfe -features=gcc -Qoption ccfe -tmpldepth=N

on compile line, where N above is an integer greater than 64 (which is
the default) and see if this fixes the problems. I would try first
with -tmpldepth=128.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 03/24/2012 08:54 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>>
>> 3) Why when I click on the "fail" link for these tests I get no information
>> on the Sun compiler's output?
>>
>> For example:
>> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-emulation-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-link-static-stdlib-sun-stlport.html
>>

> It looks like the Boost.Test library failed to build.

Actually, now that you mentioned it, it looks like a lot of Boost.Test
regressions fail on the Sun platform...
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/test.html

Is this Sun platform supported on not by Boost? (How can my library
tests pass IF the tester library doesn't work on a platform?!)

>> If I follow this link I get "Error extracting file: No matching files were
>> found.". What does this mean?
>>

> This is an error from the server, not an error from
> the regression test run.

Can the Sun platform maintainer (Noel Belcourt?) please send me more
detail on the failure messages? Unfortunately, at this point I can't
confirm if the failure is in the Sun platform/toolset, Boost.Test, or
Boost.ScopeExit?

Thanks a lot :)
--Lorenzo

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

Belcourt, Kenneth
On Mar 25, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> AMDG
>>
>> On 03/24/2012 08:54 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) Why when I click on the "fail" link for these tests I get no
>>> information
>>> on the Sun compiler's output?
>>>
>>> For example:
>>> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-emulation-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-link-static-stdlib-sun-stlport.html
>>>

>> It looks like the Boost.Test library failed to build.
>
> Actually, now that you mentioned it, it looks like a lot of Boost.Test
> regressions fail on the Sun platform...
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/test.html
>
> Is this Sun platform supported on not by Boost? (How can my library
> tests pass IF the tester library doesn't work on a platform?!)
>
>>> If I follow this link I get "Error extracting file: No matching
>>> files were
>>> found.". What does this mean?
>>>

>> This is an error from the server, not an error from
>> the regression test run.
>
> Can the Sun platform maintainer (Noel Belcourt?) please send me more
> detail on the failure messages? Unfortunately, at this point I can't
> confirm if the failure is in the Sun platform/toolset, Boost.Test, or
> Boost.ScopeExit?

Hi Lorenzo,

Sun is, for all intent and purposes, a dead platform for us.  While I
realize others may be using newer flavors of it, we've basically
stopped and use it only for the numerics which were/are quite good.
Our system is not being maintained so I'd guess your best bet is to
mark your library as unsupported on this platform.

Best.

-- Noel Belcourt

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
Belcourt, K. Noel wrote
Sun is, for all intent and purposes, a dead platform for us.  While I
realize others may be using newer flavors of it, we've basically
stopped and use it only for the numerics which were/are quite good.
Our system is not being maintained so I'd guess your best bet is to
mark your library as unsupported on this platform.
OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?

Regards,
--Lorenzo

On Mar 26, 2012, at 6:31 AM, lcaminiti wrote:

> Belcourt, K. Noel wrote
>>
>> Sun is, for all intent and purposes, a dead platform for us.  While I
>> realize others may be using newer flavors of it, we've basically
>> stopped and use it only for the numerics which were/are quite good.
>> Our system is not being maintained so I'd guess your best bet is to
>> mark your library as unsupported on this platform.

Hi Lorenzo,

> OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?

No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.  Go
to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of the keys
is this:

n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular platform/
toolset.

I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester, as
others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
statechart, xpressive, etc...

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

Vicente Botet
Le 26/03/12 17:39, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :

> On Mar 26, 2012, at 6:31 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>

>> Belcourt, K. Noel wrote
>>>
>>> Sun is, for all intent and purposes, a dead platform for us.  While I
>>> realize others may be using newer flavors of it, we've basically
>>> stopped and use it only for the numerics which were/are quite good.
>>> Our system is not being maintained so I'd guess your best bet is to
>>> mark your library as unsupported on this platform.
>
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
>> OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?
>

> No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.  Go
> to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of the keys
> is this:
>
> n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular
> platform/toolset.
>
> I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester, as
> others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
> statechart, xpressive, etc...

Noel,

it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know what is
not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a bug on the
regression tools.

Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in changing
whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.

Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why the
test fails?

Best,
Vicente

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Le 26/03/12 17:39, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2012, at 6:31 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>>

>>> Belcourt, K. Noel wrote

>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>
>>> OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?
>>

>> No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.
>> Go to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of
>> the keys is this:
>>
>> n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular
>> platform/toolset.
>>
>> I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester,
>> as others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
>> statechart, xpressive, etc...

> it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know what
> is not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a bug on
> the regression tools.

I believe this is the same problem it's been for years, libraries like
Thread that depend on Boost.Test won't work right unless Test works
right.  A quick glance at the Boost.Test results show most of it
doesn't work on Sun, that's why Thread and presumably many other
libraries don't work on Sun.

> Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in
> changing whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.

I only see a couple of option, push on Gennadiy to bring up Test on
Sun, or decouple Thread from Test and control your own fate.

> Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why
> the test fails

Here's an example.

...skipped <p/scratch2/kbelco/boost/results/boost/bin.v2/libs/thread/
test/condition_variable__default_p.test/sun-5.10/debug/address-
model-64/stdlib-sun-stlport/threading-
multi>condition_variable__default_p for lack of <p/scratch2/kbelco/
boost/results/boost/bin.v2/libs/test/build/sun-5.10/debug/address-
model-64/link-static/stdlib-sun-stlport/threading-
multi>libboost_unit_test_framework.a...

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

Belcourt, Kenneth

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Le 26/03/12 17:39, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2012, at 6:31 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>>

>>> Belcourt, K. Noel wrote

>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>
>>> OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?
>>

>> No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.
>> Go to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of
>> the keys is this:
>>
>> n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular
>> platform/toolset.
>>
>> I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester,
>> as others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
>> statechart, xpressive, etc...
>>
> Noel,
>
> it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know what
> is not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a bug on
> the regression tools.
>
> Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in
> changing whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.
>
> Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why
> the test fails?

Oh, I should point out that there's about 500 targets that fail to
link due to missing Boost.Test libraries.

-- Noel

Le 26/03/12 19:30, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :

> On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

>>> Hi Lorenzo,

>>> No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.  Go
>>> to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of the
>>> keys is this:
>>>
>>> n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular
>>> platform/toolset.
>>>
>>> I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester, as
>>> others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
>>> statechart, xpressive, etc...
>>>
>> Noel,
>>
>> it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know what
>> is not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a bug on the
>> regression tools.
>>
>> Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in
>> changing whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.
>>
>> Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why
>> the test fails?
>
> Oh, I should point out that there's about 500 targets that fail to
> link due to missing Boost.Test libraries.

Thanks for the information. The last test I have been adding to
Boost.Thread doesn't use Boost.Test, but the link to Boost.Test is done
however. I will dissociate it to see if this helps.

Thanks again,
Vicente

On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Le 26/03/12 19:30, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :

>>> Noel,
>>>
>>> it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know
>>> what is not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a
>>> bug on the regression tools.
>>>
>>> Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in
>>> changing whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.
>>>
>>> Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why
>>> the test fails?
>>
>> Oh, I should point out that there's about 500 targets that fail to
>> link due to missing Boost.Test libraries.
>>
> Thanks for the information. The last test I have been adding to
> Boost.Thread doesn't use Boost.Test, but the link to Boost.Test is
> done however. I will dissociate it to see if this helps.

I'm most interested in hearing if Thread (sans Test) will work on Sun.

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
Belcourt, K. Noel wrote
On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Le 26/03/12 17:39, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2012, at 6:31 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
>>

>>> Belcourt, K. Noel wrote

>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>
>>> OK. Shall Sun be removed by the trunk regression tests then?
>>

>> No, we'll leave the Sandia-Sun tester running as long as we can.
>> Go to the Legend at the bottom of the trunk results page, one of
>> the keys is this:
>>
>> n/a  The library author marked it as unusable on particular
>> platform/toolset.
>>
>> I suggest you mark your library as n/a for the Sandia-Sun tester,
>> as others have done for their libraries, e.g. proto, property_tree,
>> statechart, xpressive, etc...
>>
> Noel,
>
> it is difficult to classify a library as N/A when we don't know what
> is not working on. I'm wondering if this is not catching a bug on
> the regression tools.
>
> Boost.Thread is on the same case, and I will be interested in
> changing whatever is needed to make it usable on Sun/Solaris.
>
> Please, could you see why the regression tests are not showing why
> the test fails?

Oh, I should point out that there's about 500 targets that fail to
link due to missing Boost.Test libraries.
Note that ScopeExit (LocalFunction, etc) regression tests use Boost.Test but the library itself does not use Boost.Test at all. So even if the regression tests for the library fails due to Boost.Test missing, it is difficult to conclude if the library will or not work on the platform. The only sure thing is that the library is not being sensibly tested on Sun...

All of that said, I'm happy not worry about Sun :) I might mark the library n/a or something like that. I'll stop trying to understand if they work or not on Sun given that I can't really test it on that platform.

Thanks a lot.
--Lorenzo

Le 27/03/12 20:17, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :

> On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

>>> Oh, I should point out that there's about 500 targets that fail to
>>> link due to missing Boost.Test libraries.
>>>
>> Thanks for the information. The last test I have been adding to
>> Boost.Thread doesn't use Boost.Test, but the link to Boost.Test is
>> done however. I will dissociate it to see if this helps.
>
> I'm most interested in hearing if Thread (sans Test) will work on Sun.

Me too. Note that some test are using yet Boost.Test.
Committed revision 77588.

Best,
Vicente

Le 27/03/12 22:28, Vicente J. Botet Escriba a écrit :

> Le 27/03/12 20:17, Belcourt, K. Noel a écrit :

>>> Thanks for the information. The last test I have been adding to
>>> Boost.Thread doesn't use Boost.Test, but the link to Boost.Test is
>>> done however. I will dissociate it to see if this helps.
>>
>> I'm most interested in hearing if Thread (sans Test) will work on Sun.
>>

> Me too. Note that some test are using yet Boost.Test.
> Committed revision 77588.

Good news. The regression test show now that a lot of test pass and when
failing the reason is accessible.

I will start to analyze the failing test.

Best,
Vicente

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
Vicente Botet wrote
Good news. The regression test show now that a lot of test pass and when
failing the reason is accessible.
Congrats :)

Is there a reason in general not to use Boost.Test or this issue is limited to the Sun platform? In my libraries I used Boost.Test just for convenience -- I could just as easily catch the errors and return an exit code instead of using Boost.Test...

Thanks.
--Lorenzo

Le 28/03/12 23:37, lcaminiti a écrit :

> Vicente Botet wrote
>> Good news. The regression test show now that a lot of test pass and when
>> failing the reason is accessible.
>>
> Congrats :)
>
> Is there a reason in general not to use Boost.Test or this issue is limited
> to the Sun platform? In my libraries I used Boost.Test just for convenience
> -- I could just as easily catch the errors and return an exit code instead
> of using Boost.Test...
IIRC Boost.Test doesn't works neither on cygwin.

I'm using <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp> which is really
lightweight and works everywhere.

Here it is a simple example

#include <boost/thread/thread.hpp>
#include <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp>

int main()
{
   boost::thread::id id = boost::this_thread::get_id();
   BOOST_TEST(id != boost::thread::id());
   return boost::report_errors();
}

Boost.TypeTraits has defined some macros that make use of Boost.Test or
an internal framework.

HTH,
Vicente

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
Vicente Botet wrote
Le 28/03/12 23:37, lcaminiti a écrit :
> Vicente Botet wrote
>> Good news. The regression test show now that a lot of test pass and when
>> failing the reason is accessible.
>>
> Congrats :)
>
> Is there a reason in general not to use Boost.Test or this issue is limited
> to the Sun platform? In my libraries I used Boost.Test just for convenience
> -- I could just as easily catch the errors and return an exit code instead
> of using Boost.Test...
IIRC Boost.Test doesn't works neither on cygwin.
I was able get Boost.Test to work on my Cygwin with GCC 4.5.3.

I'm using <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp> which is really
lightweight and works everywhere.

Here it is a simple example

#include <boost/thread/thread.hpp>
#include <boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp>

int main()
{
   boost::thread::id id = boost::this_thread::get_id();
   BOOST_TEST(id != boost::thread::id());
   return boost::report_errors();
}
Thanks a lot Vicente! I've changed ScopeExit tests to use Boost.Detail/LightweightTest instead of Boost.Test and now the tests give sensible errors also on Sun :)

http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/output/Sandia-sun-boost-bin-v2-libs-scope_exit-test-native-test-sun-5-10-debug-address-model-64-stdlib-sun-stlport.html

Next I'll either be able to fix these errors or mark the Sun tests n/a.

--Lorenzo

[boost] [scope_exit] trunk tests fail on sun compiler

lcaminiti
lcaminiti wrote
Next I'll either be able to fix these errors or mark the Sun tests n/a.
Good news :) it seems that ScopeExit compiles on Sun (after I've replaced Boost.Test with Boost.Detail/LightweightTest as Vicente suggested).

One issue however it that Boost.Typeof does not automatically detect Sun as not having native type-of so BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION must be explicitly defined by the user to compile ScopeExit code. But once that's done, most (I'm still double checking if all) tests seems to compile. I will mark the ScopeExit failures on Sun as "must use type-of emulation mode (by defining the BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION macro)".

Thanks.
--Lorenzo

Le 02/04/12 22:21, lcaminiti a écrit :

> lcaminiti wrote
>> Next I'll either be able to fix these errors or mark the Sun tests n/a.
>>
> Good news :) it seems that ScopeExit compiles on Sun (after I've replaced
> Boost.Test with Boost.Detail/LightweightTest as Vicente suggested).
>
> One issue however it that Boost.Typeof does not automatically detect Sun as
> not having native type-of so BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION must be explicitly
> defined by the user to compile ScopeExit code. But once that's done, most
> (I'm still double checking if all) tests seems to compile. I will mark the
> ScopeExit failures on Sun as "must use type-of emulation mode (by defining
> the BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION macro)".

What about forcing BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION with Sun compiler?

Boost.Chrono adds this to the Jamfile project requirements

<toolset>sun:<define>BOOST_TYPEOF_EMULATION

Maybe I should add it to the config.hpp file in addition to document the
restriction.

Best,
Vicente

12