[boost][review] Review of Nowide (Unicode) starts today
The formal review of Artyom Beilis' Nowide library starts today and
will last until Wed. 21st of June.
Your participation is encouraged, as the proposed library is
uncoupled, focused and rather small. Nowadays, everyone needs to
handle Unicode but this is very difficult using only the standard
library in a platform independant way. Nowide offers a very simple way
to handle Unicode the same way on
* work with UTF-8 in your code, Nowide converts to OS encoding
* Easy to use functions for converting UTF-8 to/from UTF-16
* A class to fixing argc, argc and env main parameters to use UTF-8
* UTF-8 aware functions:
- stdio.h functions (fopen, freopen, remove, rename)
- stdlib.h functions (system, getenv, setenv, unsetenv, putenv)
- fstream (filebuf, fstream/ofstream/ifstream)
- iostream (cout, cerr, clog, cin)
Nowide has standard boost layout. So, just put it into the boost
source tree under libs/nowide directory for building and running
Or alternatively - for header only part of the library add the
nowide/include path to the include path of your projects.
Please post your comments and review to the boost mailing list
(preferably), or privately to the Review Manager (to me ;-). Here are
some questions you might want to answer in your review:
- What is your evaluation of the design?
- What is your evaluation of the implementation?
- What is your evaluation of the documentation?
- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?
- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
And most importantly:
- Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library? Be
sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments don't obscure
your overall opinion.