[boost][review] **NEXT WEEK** Review of Nowide (Unicode) Mon. 12th -> Wed. 21st June
** HEADS UP, NEXT WEEK'S REVIEW **
The formal review of Artyom Beilis' Nowide library starts next week
(Mon. 12-June to Wed. 21-June).
Your participation is encouraged, as the proposed library is uncoupled and
focused. Nowadays, everyone needs to handle Unicode but this is very
difficult using only the standard library in a platform independant way.
Nowide offers a very simple way to handle Unicode the same way on
* work with UTF-8 in your code, Nowide converts to OS encoding
* Easy to use functions for converting UTF-8 to/from UTF-16
* A class to fixing argc, argc and env main parameters to use UTF-8
* UTF-8 aware functions:
- stdio.h functions (fopen, freopen, remove, rename)
- stdlib.h functions (system, getenv, setenv, unsetenv, putenv)
- fstream (filebuf, fstream/ofstream/ifstream)
- iostream (cout, cerr, clog, cin)
get it from GitHub (Download as zip)
NEXT WEEK (when the public review is started):
Please post your comments and review to the boost mailing list
(preferably), or privately to the Review Manager (to me ;-). Here are
some questions you might want to answer in your review:
- What is your evaluation of the design?
- What is your evaluation of the implementation?
- What is your evaluation of the documentation?
- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?
- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
And most importantly:
- Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library? Be
sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments don't obscure
your overall opinion.