boost::regex (implementation question)

Boost - Users mailing list
Yesterday I downloaded boost v1.71.0

The file 'regex/v4/cregex.hpp' contains declarations for functions like
'regexecA' and 'regexecW'.  There are similar declarations for regfree,
regcomp & regerror.

But where are the implementations for those functions?  Or is my own app
expected to provide them?  Many thanks,

John Emmas

Re: boost::regex (implementation question)

Boost - Users mailing list

On 23/11/2019 09:14, John Emmas via Boost-users wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded boost v1.71.0
>
> The file 'regex/v4/cregex.hpp' contains declarations for functions
> like 'regexecA' and 'regexecW'.  There are similar declarations for
> regfree, regcomp & regerror.
>
> But where are the implementations for those functions?

You would find them under libs/regex/src, but those old POSIX API's
while technically still supported have been deprecated for a long time.

John.

On 23/11/2019 13:58, John Maddock via Boost-users wrote:

> On 23/11/2019 09:14, John Emmas via Boost-users wrote:
>>
>> But where are the implementations for those functions?
>
> You would find them under libs/regex/src, but those old POSIX API's
> while technically still supported have been deprecated for a long time.

Many thanks John,

I do remember building boost::regex from source (maybe back around the
time of boost v1.54) but the source files from back then won't compile
against the latest regex headers.  Also... I'm not seeing a 'src'
subfolder here in v1.71 (for that matter, I don't even see a
'boost/libs/' subfolder).  These are the subfolders I currently see
under 'boost/regex':-

       config
       pending
       v4

Have I maybe downloaded the wrong version? (or am I looking in the wrong
place??)

John

On 23/11/2019 15:09, John Emmas via Boost-users wrote:

> On 23/11/2019 13:58, John Maddock via Boost-users wrote:
>>
>> On 23/11/2019 09:14, John Emmas via Boost-users wrote:
>>>
>>> But where are the implementations for those functions?
>>
>> You would find them under libs/regex/src, but those old POSIX API's
>> while technically still supported have been deprecated for a long time.
>>

> Many thanks John,
>
> I do remember building boost::regex from source (maybe back around the
> time of boost v1.54) but the source files from back then won't compile
> against the latest regex headers.

I would think not!

> Also... I'm not seeing a 'src' subfolder here in v1.71 (for that
> matter, I don't even see a 'boost/libs/' subfolder).  These are the
> subfolders I currently see under 'boost/regex':-

Not under boost-root/boost, but under boost-root/libs/regex.

On 23/11/2019 16:42, John Maddock via Boost-users wrote:

>> Also... I'm not seeing a 'src' subfolder here in v1.71 (for that
>> matter, I don't even see a 'boost/libs/' subfolder).  These are the
>> subfolders I currently see under 'boost/regex':-
>
> Not under boost-root/boost, but under boost-root/libs/regex.

Thanks again John... it's all building fine now (it turned out I WAS
looking in the wrong place !! )

John