[boost] [quickbook] changing paths

lcaminiti
Hello all,

How can I change the paths were Boost.QuickBook looks for the following files?

1) CSS and icon images by default from BOOST_ROOT/doc.
2) Navigation bar by default from BOOST_ROOT/tools/boostbook/xls.

Essentially, I'd like to put the CSS, icon images, and navbar into a different path. Also, I'd like to change the navbar to one of my own.

Thanks a lot.
--Lorenzo

Re: [quickbook] changing paths

pabristow

path-constant nav_images : html/images/ ; # png and svg images for home, next, note, tip...

path-constant images_location : html ; # location of SVG and PNG images referenced by Quickbook.

and may find helpful to show these

echo "images_location" $(images_location) ;
echo "nav_images" $(nav_images) ;

  # Links are relative and trying to make absolute does NOT work.
  # And remember that all links MUST use  backslash / , not forward \ - that is the trip char!
 # Using enclosing quotes is safest.
 # Trailing / may be needed for folder names.

  # Grep through our stylesheet layer in $(local-boost-root)/tools/boostbook/xsl for xsl:params you
can alter.
  #  main xsl param reference for docbook http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/

> 1) CSS and icon images by default from BOOST_ROOT/doc.

In jamfile,

boostbook standalone
:
your library
:

  <xsl:param>boost.root=.  # Your choice
  <xsl:param>html.stylesheet=../../doc/html/boostbook.css    # or your choice

> 2) Navigation bar by default from BOOST_ROOT/tools/boostbook/xls.

  #<xsl:param>nav.layout=none # No navigation bar (home, prev, next).
  # defining creates a runtime error: Global parameter nav.layout already defined.
  <xsl:param>nav.layout=horizontal # to get a horizontal navigation bar (you probably DO want this).

  <xsl:param>boost.image=Boost # options are: none (no logo), Boost (for boost.png), or your own
logo like inspired_by_boost.png
  <xsl:param>boost.image.src=./images/yourlogo.png # Instead of boost, or proposed_for_boost?
  <xsl:param>boost.image.w=180 # Width of logo in pixels. (JM has W = 162, h = 46)
  <xsl:param>boost.image.h=90 # Height of logo in pixels.

HTH

Paul

Re: [quickbook] changing paths

John Maddock-3
> How can I change the paths were Boost.QuickBook looks for the following
> files?
>
> 1) CSS and icon images by default from BOOST_ROOT/doc.

These are Docbook XSL params rather than anything Boost sets:

html.stylesheet - sets the name of the stylesheet (including any relative
path).

Not sure what you mean by icons, but the admonishment graphics path is set
with admon.graphics.path

See http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/index.html
for a full list of options.

Assuming you're using a Jamfile to build the docs, then these are set with a

<xsl:param>parameter-name=value

In the build options for the documentation target.

> 2) Navigation bar by default from BOOST_ROOT/tools/boostbook/xls.

That I don't know how to do - you can certainly disable it (don't ask me
what the xsl param name is though - you'll need to look at our stylesheet
customization layer for that).  In all likelihood you'll need your own XSL
customization layer - I'm not sure how you integrate that with Boost.Build
though.

HTH, John.

Re: [quickbook] changing paths

John Maddock-3
>> How can I change the paths were Boost.QuickBook looks for the following
>> files?
>
> path-constant nav_images : html/images/ ; # png and svg images for home,
> next, note, tip...
>
> path-constant images_location : html ; # location of SVG and PNG images
> referenced by Quickbook.

path-constant creates *absolute paths*.  You need that for PDF generation
when you're embedding the images in the PDF.  But don't use that for HTML
generation or your users won't be able to read the docs :-(

Cheers, John.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2) Navigation bar by default from BOOST_ROOT/tools/boostbook/xls.
>

> That I don't know how to do - you can certainly disable it (don't ask me
> what the xsl param name is though - you'll need to look at our stylesheet
> customization layer for that).  In all likelihood you'll need your own XSL
> customization layer - I'm not sure how you integrate that with Boost.Build
> though.

Can I get quick/boostbook/xls/etc to get the navbar from one of of my
own creation from mynavbar/navbar.xls below instead of he default
navbar from tools/boostbook/xls?

I want to have my own navbar with links different from Home,
Libraries, etc (e.g., Download, Help, etc). This is for docs of a
project of my own (not a Boost library).

Thanks.
--Lorenzo