[boost-docs] [Quickbook] General image handling

[boost-docs] [Quickbook] General image handling

Matias Capeletto
Hi,

I have been reading about how docbook works with images, and it has a
very neat framework to deal with them, including scaling, align,
format, etc.

IMO Quickbook must start to support this options.
I propose the following notation:

[$image_path
     [format ...]
     [width ...]
     [srccredit ...]
     [contentdepth ...]
     [contentwidth ...]
     [scalefit ...]
     [align ...]
     [valign ...]
     [depth ...]
     [scale ...]
]

All extra parameters are optional, and we use common sense default
when they are not included. For example, if the format is omitted we
use the extension of the image_path.

Comments are welcome
Best regards
Matias

Re: [boost-docs] [Quickbook] General image handling

Stjepan Rajko-3
> I have been reading about how docbook works with images, and it has a
> very neat framework to deal with them, including scaling, align,
> format, etc.
>
> IMO Quickbook must start to support this options.
> I propose the following notation:
[snip]
> Comments are welcome
> Best regards
> Matias

That would be nice to have.  I've wanted to center an image in the
past and found I couldn't do it through quickbook, but as you say,
docbook supports it.

Re: [boost-docs] [Quickbook] General image handling

Joel de Guzman-2
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been reading about how docbook works with images, and it has a
> very neat framework to deal with them, including scaling, align,
> format, etc.
>
> IMO Quickbook must start to support this options.
> I propose the following notation:
>
> [$image_path
>      [format ...]
>      [width ...]
>      [srccredit ...]
>      [contentdepth ...]
>      [contentwidth ...]
>      [scalefit ...]
>      [align ...]
>      [valign ...]
>      [depth ...]
>      [scale ...]
> ]
>
> All extra parameters are optional, and we use common sense default
> when they are not included. For example, if the format is omitted we
> use the extension of the image_path.

Looks good. Preferably, this should be a template. Alas, we do
not have optional template arguments like that yet. I'll try
to come up with a solution.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: [boost-docs] [Quickbook] General image handling

John Maddock
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been reading about how docbook works with images, and it has a
> very neat framework to deal with them, including scaling, align,
> format, etc.
>
> IMO Quickbook must start to support this options.
> I propose the following notation:
>
> [$image_path
>     [format ...]
>     [width ...]
>     [srccredit ...]
>     [contentdepth ...]
>     [contentwidth ...]
>     [scalefit ...]
>     [align ...]
>     [valign ...]
>     [depth ...]
>     [scale ...]
> ]
>
> All extra parameters are optional, and we use common sense default
> when they are not included. For example, if the format is omitted we
> use the extension of the image_path.

All excellent ideas, I wonder can we support multiple formats as well, lets
say if I write:

[$myfile]

with no extension on the filename, then quickbook checks for .png .svg etc
and wraps each found in the an appropriate media object?

John.

John Maddock wrote:

> Matias Capeletto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been reading about how docbook works with images, and it has a
>> very neat framework to deal with them, including scaling, align,
>> format, etc.
>>
>> IMO Quickbook must start to support this options.
>> I propose the following notation:
>>
>> [$image_path
>>     [format ...]
>>     [width ...]
>>     [srccredit ...]
>>     [contentdepth ...]
>>     [contentwidth ...]
>>     [scalefit ...]
>>     [align ...]
>>     [valign ...]
>>     [depth ...]
>>     [scale ...]
>> ]
>>
>> All extra parameters are optional, and we use common sense default
>> when they are not included. For example, if the format is omitted we
>> use the extension of the image_path.
>
> All excellent ideas, I wonder can we support multiple formats as well, lets
> say if I write:
>
> [$myfile]
>
> with no extension on the filename, then quickbook checks for .png .svg etc
> and wraps each found in the an appropriate media object?

We can if we give images special handling. I'm leaning towards making
as much as possible templates, tough, so I'm not sure. Hrm...maybe...
images are quite special anyway. But don't we also want to choose
the image format depending on target doc format? I.e. png on html,
svg on pdf?

Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> with no extension on the filename, then quickbook checks for .png
>> .svg etc and wraps each found in the an appropriate media object?
>
> We can if we give images special handling. I'm leaning towards making
> as much as possible templates, tough, so I'm not sure. Hrm...maybe...
> images are quite special anyway. But don't we also want to choose
> the image format depending on target doc format? I.e. png on html,
> svg on pdf?

This is going to require some experimenting, but basically we can either:

Omit the file extension and then set the extention using
graphic.default.extension,

Or, emit all graphics versions in the Docbook XML, set the "Role" attribute
for each and use preferred.mediaobject.role to select which object ends up
in the output.  I believe this is probably the "right" way to do it IMO.

In an ideal world for HTML output we would embed SVG's and have the .png as
an alt image, but I don't know if that's possible.

HTH, John.

On 6/21/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
> >> with no extension on the filename, then quickbook checks for .png
> >> .svg etc and wraps each found in the an appropriate media object?
> >
> > We can if we give images special handling. I'm leaning towards making
> > as much as possible templates, tough, so I'm not sure. Hrm...maybe...
> > images are quite special anyway.

Yes, I think that they deserve to have a good notation. Joel, allowing
options to a construction may pop up in other places in the future.
For example, we will surely want to be able to insert media objects
like video or sounds if we want that quickbook becomes a mainstream
tool. Can templates notation be extended to use optional named
parameters (onp). I am thinking in:

Template definition:

[template tname [a b c]
    [onp_1 default_1]
    [onp_2 default_2]

This is the template body...
use unamed forced parameters: [a]
use onp parameters: [onp_1] (This prints the value or the default)
[onp_1? if was used do this : if not do this ]

]

IMO this is a good extension and is backward compatible with the
current implementation.

> > But don't we also want to choose
> > the image format depending on target doc format? I.e. png on html,
> > svg on pdf?

mmmm...

> This is going to require some experimenting, but basically we can either:
>
> Omit the file extension and then set the extention using
> graphic.default.extension,
>
> Or, emit all graphics versions in the Docbook XML, set the "Role" attribute
> for each and use preferred.mediaobject.role to select which object ends up
> in the output.  I believe this is probably the "right" way to do it IMO.
>
> In an ideal world for HTML output we would embed SVG's and have the .png as
> an alt image, but I don't know if that's possible.

I think that we should go this way. SVG will be supported in browser
in the near future. And pdf woul support pngs in a better way.

Anyway, if we have the templates notation I showed above it will be
easy to provide an alternative like:

[image_set
     [pdf pdf_path]
     [png png_path]
]

But I really think we should do things with optimism in other areas
(browsers and fo will get better)

Best regards
Matias