boost::asio::deadline_timer segmentation in version 1.71

boost::asio::deadline_timer segmentation in version 1.71

My application is running one thread under boost::asio::io_service, it
is an embedded system running on an ARM processor with Linux, so no
gdb installed. The application is also using a
boost::asio::deadline_timer to call a function every second, but I got
following segmentation stack trace:

_ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler10do_run_oneERNS1_27conditionally_enabled_mutex11scoped_lockERNS1_21scheduler_thread_infoERKNS_6system10error_codeE+0xdd

_ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler3runERNS_6system10error_codeE+0x83

I thought I could run c++filt to demangling the library name, not sure
why it didn't demangle the name today.

I used the same boost::asio::deadline_timer version 1.69 for another
application running on Ubuntu which was working fine, what I could be
missing?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jupiter

Re: boost::asio::deadline_timer segmentation in version 1.71

Boost - Dev mailing list
There's not a lot of information to go on here. It looks as if you might
have a segfault in the scheduler rather than the timer itself. Is the
io_context still in scope?

Happy to chat in real time on slack if you have access to it. I generally
hang out in the #beast channel as I maintain this library.

https://cppalliance.org/slack/

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 02:30, Jupiter via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My application is running one thread under boost::asio::io_service, it
> is an embedded system running on an ARM processor with Linux, so no
> gdb installed. The application is also using a
> boost::asio::deadline_timer to call a function every second, but I got
> following segmentation stack trace:
>

> _ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler10do_run_oneERNS1_27conditionally_enabled_mutex11scoped_lockERNS1_21scheduler_thread_infoERKNS_6system10error_codeE+0xdd
>
> _ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler3runERNS_6system10error_codeE+0x83
>
> I thought I could run c++filt to demangling the library name, not sure
> why it didn't demangle the name today.
>
> I used the same boost::asio::deadline_timer version 1.69 for another
> application running on Ubuntu which was working fine, what I could be
> missing?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jupiter

Richard Hodges
[hidden email]
office: +442032898513
home: +376841522
mobile: +376380212

Re: boost::asio::deadline_timer segmentation in version 1.71

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response, I don't use io_context but use the
boost::asio::io_service &io_service for boost::asio::deadline_timer in
a class object created by shared_ptr. I am sure that the io_service
was in scope at the time crashed.

Thank you.

Jupiter

On 10/14/20, Richard Hodges via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's not a lot of information to go on here. It looks as if you might
> have a segfault in the scheduler rather than the timer itself. Is the
> io_context still in scope?
>
> Happy to chat in real time on slack if you have access to it. I generally
> hang out in the #beast channel as I maintain this library.
>
> https://cppalliance.org/slack/
>

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 02:30, Jupiter via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My application is running one thread under boost::asio::io_service, it
>> is an embedded system running on an ARM processor with Linux, so no
>> gdb installed. The application is also using a
>> boost::asio::deadline_timer to call a function every second, but I got
>> following segmentation stack trace:
>>

>> _ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler10do_run_oneERNS1_27conditionally_enabled_mutex11scoped_lockERNS1_21scheduler_thread_infoERKNS_6system10error_codeE+0xdd
>>
>> _ZN5boost4asio6detail9scheduler3runERNS_6system10error_codeE+0x83
>>
>> I thought I could run c++filt to demangling the library name, not sure
>> why it didn't demangle the name today.
>>
>> I used the same boost::asio::deadline_timer version 1.69 for another
>> application running on Ubuntu which was working fine, what I could be
>> missing?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jupiter

> Richard Hodges
> [hidden email]
> office: +442032898513
> home: +376841522
> mobile: +376380212

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else."
-- John Burroughs