Quantcast

binding_v1 vs sandbox/numeric/bindings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

binding_v1 vs sandbox/numeric/bindings

Nizar Khalifa Sallem
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the numeric/bindings found
here: https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings and the
ones at this location:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/boost/numeric/bindings
cause I am getting really confused: which one should I use??? and if

--
Nizar
_______________________________________________
ublas mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/ublas
Sent to: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: binding_v1 vs sandbox/numeric/bindings

Rutger ter Borg-2
On 11/10/2010 03:20 PM, Nizar Khalifa Sallem wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me the difference between the numeric/bindings found
> here: https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings and the
> ones at this location:
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/boost/numeric/bindings
> cause I am getting really confused: which one should I use??? and if
>
> --
> Nizar

Hello Nizar,

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings are the more
recent bindings, and this is the recommended project to use.

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1 is the
somewhat older project. Still useable but has limitations in some cases.

Some highlights of the differences:

1) Most of the algorithmic part of these bindings are generated based on
the original Fortran and/or C code. The BLAS and LAPACK bindings are
(way) more complete. Run-time and compile-time checks are way more
consistent and complete.

2) Binding to containers has been made more flexible; i.e., it is
possible to pass vectors and/or matrices (or even scalars), as long as
their dimensions are correct. In addition, the bindings provide a couple
of in-place views, such as trans, row, etc..

3) Different BLAS-backends have been merged into one frontend: the BLAS
bindings.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Rutger


_______________________________________________
ublas mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/ublas
Sent to: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: binding_v1 vs sandbox/numeric/bindings

Nizar Khalifa Sallem
At Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:47:20 +0100,
Rutger ter Borg wrote:

>
> On 11/10/2010 03:20 PM, Nizar Khalifa Sallem wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the difference between the numeric/bindings found
> > here: https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings and the
> > ones at this location:
> > http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/boost/numeric/bindings
> > cause I am getting really confused: which one should I use??? and if
> >
> > --
> > Nizar
>
> Hello Nizar,
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings are the more
> recent bindings, and this is the recommended project to use.
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1 is the
> somewhat older project. Still useable but has limitations in some cases.
>
> Some highlights of the differences:
>
> 1) Most of the algorithmic part of these bindings are generated based on
> the original Fortran and/or C code. The BLAS and LAPACK bindings are
> (way) more complete. Run-time and compile-time checks are way more
> consistent and complete.
>
> 2) Binding to containers has been made more flexible; i.e., it is
> possible to pass vectors and/or matrices (or even scalars), as long as
> their dimensions are correct. In addition, the bindings provide a couple
> of in-place views, such as trans, row, etc..
>
> 3) Different BLAS-backends have been merged into one frontend: the BLAS
> bindings.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Kind regards,
>
> Rutger
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ublas mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/ublas
> Sent to: [hidden email]
Thanks Rutger,

That was a complete answer and things are really clearer for me now. I
will follow your recommendation and use
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings. To do so I
need a little help: in numeric_binding-v1 the lapack methodes return
int but in numeric_bindings they return std::ptrdiff_t and I want to
know if the returned values remain the same? i.e. in
numeric_binding-v1 boost::numeric::bindings::lapack::gesdd returned an
int which is equal to 0 in case of success, does the
boost::numeric::bindings::lapack::gesdd in numeric_binding return 0
two in case of success? I couldn't find the realted documentation.

Thanks a lot,

--
Nizar
_______________________________________________
ublas mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/ublas
Sent to: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: binding_v1 vs sandbox/numeric/bindings

Rutger ter Borg-2
On 11/10/2010 09:38 PM, Nizar Khalifa Sallem wrote:

> Thanks Rutger,
>
> That was a complete answer and things are really clearer for me now. I
> will follow your recommendation and use
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings. To do so I
> need a little help: in numeric_binding-v1 the lapack methodes return
> int but in numeric_bindings they return std::ptrdiff_t and I want to
> know if the returned values remain the same?

Yes, they are.

Cheers,

Rutger


_______________________________________________
ublas mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/ublas
Sent to: [hidden email]
Loading...