bin_float parser

Vitaly Budovski-4
Hi,

Now that Boost 1.47 has been released, I'm hoping to get the following
parsers added for the next version.
Attempt #2, which has hopefully addressed all of the issues from the
previous submission. Please see attached diffs and test case.

Cheers,

Vitaly

float.cpp (6K) Download Attachment
binary.qbk.diff (11K) Download Attachment
endian.diff (5K) Download Attachment
karma.diff (13K) Download Attachment
qi.diff (13K) Download Attachment
terminals.diff (1004 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: bin_float parser

Joel de Guzman-2
On 7/15/2011 3:00 PM, Vitaly Budovski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Boost 1.47 has been released, I'm hoping to get the following
> parsers added for the next version.
> Attempt #2, which has hopefully addressed all of the issues from the
> previous submission. Please see attached diffs and test case.

I suggest you post to Spirit general too. This list has been quiet
recently due in part to IRC.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com
http://boost-spirit.com

Re: bin_float parser

Hartmut Kaiser
Vitaly,

Sorry for the delay...

> Now that Boost 1.47 has been released, I'm hoping to get the following
> parsers added for the next version.
> Attempt #2, which has hopefully addressed all of the issues from the
> previous submission. Please see attached diffs and test case.

Thanks for your contribution!

>From reading Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness#Floating-point_and_endianness) I gather:

<quote>
It may therefore appear strange that the widespread IEEE 754 floating point standard does not specify endianness.[4] Theoretically, this means that even standard IEEE floating point data written by one machine might not be readable by another. However, on modern standard computers (i.e. implementing IEEE 754), one may in practice safely assume that the endianness is the same for floating point numbers as for integers, making the conversion straight forward regardless of data type. (Small embedded systems using special floating point formats may be another matter however.)
</quote>

Is that your assumption while implementing the float_bin? I'm asking as I personally have no experience with this problem domain.

Nevertheless, Joel and I would be willing to accept this into the Spirit repository if you added some tests and docs. Would you be willing to prepare corresponding patches?

Thanks!
Regards Hartmut
---------------
http://boost-spirit.com

Re: bin_float parser

Vitaly Budovski-4
Hi Hartmut,

On 17 July 2011 17:08, Hartmut Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vitaly,
>
> Sorry for the delay...
>

> Thanks for your contribution!
>
> >From reading Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness#Floating-point_and_endianness) I gather:
>
> <quote>
> It may therefore appear strange that the widespread IEEE 754 floating point standard does not specify endianness.[4] Theoretically, this means that even standard IEEE floating point data written by one machine might not be readable by another. However, on modern standard computers (i.e. implementing IEEE 754), one may in practice safely assume that the endianness is the same for floating point numbers as for integers, making the conversion straight forward regardless of data type. (Small embedded systems using special floating point formats may be another matter however.)
> </quote>
>
> Is that your assumption while implementing the float_bin? I'm asking as I personally have no experience with this problem domain.

Yes, I am assuming that the endianness of integers and IEEE 754
numbers is the same.

> Nevertheless, Joel and I would be willing to accept this into the Spirit repository if you added some tests and docs. Would you be willing to prepare corresponding patches?

Are you after anything specific?
I provided some tests in the attached float.cpp in the original email.
I've also updated the binary parser documentation to make mention of
the bin_float parsers (binary.qbk.diff, also in original email).

> Thanks!
> Regards Hartmut

Cheers,

Vitaly

Re: bin_float parser

Hartmut Kaiser
> On 17 July 2011 17:08, Hartmut Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Vitaly,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay...
> >

> > Thanks for your contribution!
> >
> > >From reading Wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness#Floating-point_and_endianness) I
> gather:
> >
> > <quote>
> > It may therefore appear strange that the widespread IEEE 754 floating
> > point standard does not specify endianness.[4] Theoretically, this
> > means that even standard IEEE floating point data written by one
> > machine might not be readable by another. However, on modern standard
> > computers (i.e. implementing IEEE 754), one may in practice safely
> > assume that the endianness is the same for floating point numbers as
> > for integers, making the conversion straight forward regardless of
> > data type. (Small embedded systems using special floating point
> > formats may be another matter however.) </quote>
> >
> > Is that your assumption while implementing the float_bin? I'm asking as
> I personally have no experience with this problem domain.
>
> Yes, I am assuming that the endianness of integers and IEEE 754 numbers is
> the same.
>

> > Nevertheless, Joel and I would be willing to accept this into the Spirit
> repository if you added some tests and docs. Would you be willing to
> prepare corresponding patches?
> >

> Are you after anything specific?
> I provided some tests in the attached float.cpp in the original email.

Well, you know the drill. Look at the existing tests if you're unsure how tests should look like.

> I've also updated the binary parser documentation to make mention of the
> bin_float parsers (binary.qbk.diff, also in original email).

Ahh, I have not seen this, sorry.

In any case, we would like to add your parsers to the repository, which requires different patches.

Regards Hartmut
---------------
http://boost-spirit.com

Re: bin_float parser

Vitaly Budovski-4
On 18 July 2011 22:45, Hartmut Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahh, I have not seen this, sorry.
>
> In any case, we would like to add your parsers to the repository, which requires different patches.
>
> Regards Hartmut
> ---------------
> http://boost-spirit.com

Hi,

Please see the attached file. I've updated the documentation and test cases.
If anyone has access to a big endian system, could you please run the
test cases to make sure they pass?

Regards,

Vitaly

bin_float.patch.gz (10K) Download Attachment

Re: bin_float parser

Hartmut Kaiser-2
Vitaly,

> On 18 July 2011 22:45, Hartmut Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ahh, I have not seen this, sorry.
> >
> > In any case, we would like to add your parsers to the repository, which
> requires different patches.
> >
> > Regards Hartmut
> > ---------------
> > http://boost-spirit.com
> >

> Hi,
>
> Please see the attached file. I've updated the documentation and test
> cases.
> If anyone has access to a big endian system, could you please run the test
> cases to make sure they pass?

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I was trying to apply the patch this morning but there have been some changes since it was created, which prevented it to work cleanly. Even more, Bemans endian library got accepted and Spirit will switch to it as soon as it is available. This probably will cause more changes to your submission.

Again, I'm sorry for the delay I was way too busy over the last months.

Regards Hartmut
---------------
http://boost-spirit.com

Re: bin_float parser

Vitaly Budovski-4
On 10 October 2011 23:32, Hartmut Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I was trying to apply the patch this morning but there have been some changes since it was created, which prevented it to work cleanly. Even more, Bemans endian library got accepted and Spirit will switch to it as soon as it is available. This probably will cause more changes to your submission.
>
> Again, I'm sorry for the delay I was way too busy over the last months.
>
> Regards Hartmut
> ---------------
> http://boost-spirit.com

Hi,

I've updated the bin_float patch so it applies to current trunk. I
wasn't aware that the Endian library had been accepted already. Must
have missed the review summary email.
There's another patch I'd like to submit, but I'll wait until the
Endian library is in the next Boost release.

Cheers,

Vitaly

bin_float2.patch (91K) Download Attachment

Re: bin_float parser

Hartmut Kaiser-2
Vitaly,

The patch fits ok now, thanks! The only question I have is how this functionality will be implemented using Beman's endian library. We intend to switch to it once it got added to the trunk (it will get accepted provisionary, pending a mini-review). Do you have any insights here?

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu