Quantcast

base64 ?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi all,

First:

As an introduction: I am new on this list. Joined a few weeks ago.

Second:is there any interest in base64? I have a library for encoding
and decoding, which I could contribute.

Thank you, tc

Greger

Re: base64 ?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greger via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First:
>
> As an introduction: I am new on this list. Joined a few weeks ago.
>
> Second:is there any interest in base64? I have a library for encoding and
> decoding, which I could contribute.

Hi,

I think it'd be nice to have, I've needed it before.

--
Olaf

Re: base64 ?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 15/05/2017 19:18, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greger wrote:
>> Second:is there any interest in base64? I have a library for encoding and
>> decoding, which I could contribute.
>
> I think it'd be nice to have, I've needed it before.

According to this, Boost already has the parts, albeit possibly a bit
hidden away:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7053538/how-do-i-encode-a-string-to-base64-using-only-boost

Re: base64 ?

This would indeed be a useful addition to Boost.

(though there are lots and lots of possible implementations, and scope for much bike-shedding).

But it must be Boost format and include examples and documentation.

Good luck.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: base64 ?

On 5/15/17 1:11 AM, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:

> On 15/05/2017 19:18, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Greger wrote:
>>> Second:is there any interest in base64? I have a library for encoding
>>> and
>>> decoding, which I could contribute.
>>
>> I think it'd be nice to have, I've needed it before.
>
> According to this, Boost already has the parts, albeit possibly a bit
> hidden away:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7053538/how-do-i-encode-a-string-to-base64-using-only-boost

Indeed, if one just googles boost base64 he'll find a large number of
hits on pages which explain how to do this using the component in the
serialization library.  The only issue with the one in the serialization
library is that as it stands, it doesn't do the padding with '=' because
the serialization library doesn't need it.  But the posts alluded to
above demonstrate how to add this.

The serialization component which deals this is called "dataflow
iterators" and the base64 component is just single usage case of this
approach.

Robert Ramey

Re: base64 ?

Boost - Dev mailing list
> it doesn't do the padding with '='
Much worse is that it doesn't parse input with such padding correctly. This
issue is so severe that IMO that thing should not be called base64, as it
misleads new users.

As to the original post, having a good base64 implementation in boost would
be great.

пн, 15 мая 2017 г., 17:25 Robert Ramey via Boost <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/15/17 1:11 AM, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it'd be nice to have, I've needed it before.
> >
> > According to this, Boost already has the parts, albeit possibly a bit
> > hidden away:
> >

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7053538/how-do-i-encode-a-string-to-base64-using-only-boost
>
> Indeed, if one just googles boost base64 he'll find a large number of
> hits on pages which explain how to do this using the component in the
> serialization library.  The only issue with the one in the serialization
> library is that as it stands, it doesn't do the padding with '=' because
> the serialization library doesn't need it.  But the posts alluded to
> above demonstrate how to add this.
>
> The serialization component which deals this is called "dataflow
> iterators" and the base64 component is just single usage case of this
> approach.
>
> Robert Ramey

Re: base64 ?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5/15/17 8:34 AM, Andrey Goryachev via Boost wrote:
>> it doesn't do the padding with '='
> Much worse is that it doesn't parse input with such padding correctly.

Right - it was written for use in a specific context. Had I known it was
going to be so popular, I might have made it a little more general, but
I was pretty busy at the time.  There's no reason this couldn't be fixed
if someone was actually interested in doing so.

> This
> issue is so severe that IMO that thing should not be called base64, as it
> misleads new users.

LOL - just about all nomenclature turns out to be misleading for someone
- and some turns out to be misleading for everyone. (vector, concepts,
...).  Sorry I didn't name it better.

The most interesting think about the base64 is it's implementation in
terms of composed iterator ranges.  This has turned out to be quite
interesting, useful and unique.

Robert Ramey

Re: base64 ?

The documentation is here:

http://www.multi.fi/~ghaga/base64docs/html/index.html

There's only two functions in the library, one for encode and one for
decode

Done some testing and it is compatible with PHP's encode and decode of
base64.

tc
Greger