[atomic] Status?

12

[atomic] Status?

Vicente Botet
Hi,

There are some libraries that would prefer to be reviewed after Boost.Atomic is reviewed, otherwise them should move the library as an internal detail of the implementation.

Could the people working on Boost.Atomic tell us what is the state of the library? Which platforms have been handled? Which part of the standard has been implemented?

Could others having knowledge in assembler participate in this project?

When we can expect the library to be ready for review?

Best,
Vicente

Re: [atomic] Status?

GMan-6
I'll ping too. :) I think this library is very important, and it'd be sad
for it to disappear.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Vicente Botet <[hidden email]>wrote:

> PING!
>

> Vicente Botet wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are some libraries that would prefer to be reviewed after
> > Boost.Atomic is reviewed, otherwise them should move the library as an
> > internal detail of the implementation.
> >
> > Could the people working on Boost.Atomic tell us what is the state of the
> > library? Which platforms have been handled? Which part of the standard
> has
> > been implemented?
> >
> > Could others having knowledge in assembler participate in this project?
> >
> > When we can expect the library to be ready for review?
> >
> > Best,
> > Vicente

GMan, Nick Gorski

Re: [atomic] Status?

Bryce Lelbach (wash)

Re: [atomic] Status?

Vicente Botet
Bryce Lelbach aka wash wrote

We've (Parallex group) got some important fixes for Atomic (the library is
broken on Intel, notably, because __amd64__ is the macro used to detect x86_64
bit systems, Intel obviously does not define this macro :P. Not sure the extent
of the rest of our changes).

I know Hartmut has put some amount of hacking into Atomic... hopefully our
changes can be sent upstream and this library will be up for review in the near
future.
Hi,

as it seems this important library is orphaned, it will be great if people having the needed competences could go ahead and make the library ready for review. Is there a volunteer to lead this group.

Thanks,
Vicente

Re: [atomic] Status?

Oliver Kowalke-2
Am 09.02.2011 13:43, schrieb Vicente Botet:

> Bryce Lelbach aka wash wrote:

>> We've (Parallex group) got some important fixes for Atomic (the library is
>> broken on Intel, notably, because __amd64__ is the macro used to detect
>> x86_64
>> bit systems, Intel obviously does not define this macro :P. Not sure the
>> extent
>> of the rest of our changes).
>>
>> I know Hartmut has put some amount of hacking into Atomic... hopefully our
>> changes can be sent upstream and this library will be up for review in the
>> near
>> future.
>>

> Hi,
>
> as it seems this important library is orphaned, it will be great if people
> having the needed competences could go ahead and make the library ready for
> review. Is there a volunteer to lead this group.
>
> Thanks,
> Vicente

Helge has been signed off sick for multiple days - we should wait until
next week.

Oliver

Re: [atomic] Status?

Gennadiy Rozental-2
Oliver Kowalke <k-oli <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > Hi,
> >
> > as it seems this important library is orphaned, it will be great if people
> > having the needed competences could go ahead and make the library ready for
> > review. Is there a volunteer to lead this group.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vicente
>
> Helge has been signed off sick for multiple days - we should wait until
> next week.

I have personal interest in this library going through.

If there is anything needs to be done to speed up review process and I can help
please let me know.

Also if there is a need for review manager you can count on me.

Gennadiy

Re: [atomic] Status?

Tim Blechmann-2
>> > as it seems this important library is orphaned, it will be great if people
>> > having the needed competences could go ahead and make the library ready for
>> > review. Is there a volunteer to lead this group.
>> >

>> Helge has been signed off sick for multiple days - we should wait until
>> next week.
>
> I have personal interest in this library going through.
>
> If there is anything needs to be done to speed up review process and I can
> help please let me know.

i've been using boost.atomic in my lockfree library. from my experience, it is
well designed, but it would benefit from some contributions to support more
platforms. there is some fallback code using a spinlock pool, but native atomics
for compilers other than gcc are still missing.
so it would be great if people, who are using unsupported compilers could
contribute some implementations ...

tim

http://tim.klingt.org

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say
"I want to see the manager."
  William S. Burroughs

Re: [atomic] Status?

Bryce Lelbach (wash)

Re: [atomic] Status?

Oliver Kowalke-2
Am 10.02.2011 02:58, schrieb Bryce Lelbach (wash):

> We use a patched version Boost.Atomic at work (hacked on mostly by Hartmut
> Kaiser). I'd like to see our changes pushed upstream. Is this (candidate)
> library without a maintainer now?

no - Helge is the author. As I wrote in my previous eMail he has been
signed off sick.

Oliver

Re: [atomic] Status?

Tim Blechmann-2
> We use a patched version Boost.Atomic at work (hacked on mostly by Hartmut
> Kaiser). I'd like to see our changes pushed upstream. Is this (candidate)
> library without a maintainer now?

in the meantime i would be interested to include your changes into the
boost.lockfree repository.

tim

http://tim.klingt.org

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say
"I want to see the manager."
  William S. Burroughs

Re: [atomic] Status?

Bryce Lelbach (wash)

Re: [atomic] Status?

Tim Blechmann-2
> We also use Lockfree at work, though I don't know if Hartmut has hacked up our
> copy of Lockfree. Tim, would you like to see those changes, as well?

always nice to see, that someone is using it ... yes, if you have introduced
changes, it would be interesting to see how, where and why ...

tim

http://tim.klingt.org

The price an artist pays for doing what he wants is that he has to do
it.
  William S. Burroughs

Re: [atomic] Status? -> collect patches

Oliver Kowalke-2
Am 10.02.2011 16:27, schrieb Tim Blechmann:
>> We also use Lockfree at work, though I don't know if Hartmut has hacked up our
>> copy of Lockfree. Tim, would you like to see those changes, as well?
>
> always nice to see, that someone is using it ... yes, if you have introduced
> changes, it would be interesting to see how, where and why ...

could you send me the patches - I'll give the patches Helge if I see him
on monday.

Oliver

Re: [atomic] Status?

Helge Bahmann
Hi everyone,

thanks Olli for the heads-up, and sorry to everyone for not replying
earlier (incapacitated by flu)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Bryce Lelbach wrote:

> We use a patched version Boost.Atomic at work (hacked on mostly by Hartmut
> Kaiser). I'd like to see our changes pushed upstream. Is this (candidate)
> library without a maintainer now?

I'm actively maintaining it, and if you have patches please just forward
them to me. I am always especially eager to apply patches that improve
support for platforms that I cannot test on myself.

If there is something I can/must do in order to make it "reviewable", just
tell me and I'll see it done.

Helge

Re: [atomic] Status?

Gennadiy Rozental-2
Helge Bahmann <hcb <at> chaoticmind.net> writes:
> If there is something I can/must do in order to make it "reviewable", just
> tell me and I'll see it done.

Is it already in review queue?

Gennadiy

Re: [atomic] Status?

Matthew Chambers-3
On 2/9/2011 9:41 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> I have personal interest in this library going through.
>>
>> If there is anything needs to be done to speed up review process and I can
>> help please let me know.
>
> i've been using boost.atomic in my lockfree library. from my experience, it is
> well designed, but it would benefit from some contributions to support more
> platforms. there is some fallback code using a spinlock pool, but native atomics
> for compilers other than gcc are still missing.
> so it would be great if people, who are using unsupported compilers could
> contribute some implementations ...
>
> tim

What is the current state of platform support? I downloaded lockfree from your klingt.org site and
it still seems to be missing MSVC support. GCC and MSVC x86[_64] are the platforms I care about. I
could take a crack at adding MSVC support but perhaps someone has already done it?

-Matt

Re: [atomic] Status?

Tim Blechmann-2
> What is the current state of platform support? I downloaded lockfree from your
> klingt.org site and it still seems to be missing MSVC support. GCC and MSVC
> x86[_64] are the platforms I care about. I could take a crack at adding MSVC
> support but perhaps someone has already done it?

there is basic support for the interlocked API [1] ... but it seems to only
support 32bit sized types ... would be great, if you could extend it for 64bit
types ...

thanks, tim

[1]
http://tim.klingt.org/git?p=boost_lockfree.git;a=blob;f=boost/atomic/detail/interlocked.hpp;h=83456a7dbfdf0f65dbadcba6e8c3366c1860ea5d;hb=HEAD
http://tim.klingt.org

Linux is like a wigwam: no windows, no gates, apache inside, stable.

Re: [atomic] Status?

Oliver Kowalke-2
Am 16.02.2011 20:52, schrieb Tim Blechmann:

>> What is the current state of platform support? I downloaded lockfree from your
>> klingt.org site and it still seems to be missing MSVC support. GCC and MSVC
>> x86[_64] are the platforms I care about. I could take a crack at adding MSVC
>> support but perhaps someone has already done it?
>
> there is basic support for the interlocked API [1] ... but it seems to only
> support 32bit sized types ... would be great, if you could extend it for 64bit
> types ...
>
> thanks, tim
>

> [1]
> http://tim.klingt.org/git?p=boost_lockfree.git;a=blob;f=boost/atomic/detail/interlocked.hpp;h=83456a7dbfdf0f65dbadcba6e8c3366c1860ea5d;hb=HEAD

you should check your patches against Helges repo
http://git.chaoticmind.net/boost.atomic first.

Re: [atomic] Status?

Hartmut Kaiser
> > What is the current state of platform support? I downloaded lockfree
> > from your klingt.org site and it still seems to be missing MSVC
> > support. GCC and MSVC x86[_64] are the platforms I care about. I could
> > take a crack at adding MSVC support but perhaps someone has already done
> it?
>
> there is basic support for the interlocked API [1] ... but it seems to
> only support 32bit sized types ... would be great, if you could extend it
> for 64bit types ...

FWIW, the patches Bryce referred to add 64 bit support for Windows. We're
still busy cleaning them up, but will sent them really soon now.

Regards Hartmut
12