apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheet and Libraries link?

apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheet and Libraries link?

Stjepan Rajko-3
Hi,

John Maddock recently mentioned using the boost.root parameter to
avoid having to have copies of html/images in a libs own doc/html
directory.  In addition, this parameter is also applied as a prefix to
the "Home", "People", "FAQ", and "More" links in the navbar (but not
"Libraries").

Another cool use case seems to be that, instead of specifying the
relative-path-to-boost-root, you can also specify a global url (like
http://www.boost.org) and it will work with the images from there and
the navbar links will also point to the right place.  This seems
useful for developing libs that are not yet in boost, and don't
necessarily have a relative path to a boost root (when uploaded
somewhere).

My question is, should the boost.root parameter by default also be
applied as a prefix to the boostbook.css location, as well as the
"Libraries" link in the navbar?

The former would require something like the following in html.xsl (and
xhtml.xsl i presume):

  <xsl:param name="html.stylesheet">
      <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="$boost.root"><xsl:value-of
select="concat($boost.root, '/doc/html/boostbook.css')"/></xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>'boostbook.css'</xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:param>

(I tested this and it looks like it works.)

The latter would require something similar in the definition of the
boost.libraries xsl:param in navbar.xsl.

Does this sound reasonable to add?  I can post the diffs here for
verification, since this is the first time I've looked at an xsl
sheet.

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Stjepan

Re: apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheetand Libraries link?

Michael Marcin
Stjepan Rajko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Maddock recently mentioned using the boost.root parameter to
> avoid having to have copies of html/images in a libs own doc/html
> directory.  In addition, this parameter is also applied as a prefix to
> the "Home", "People", "FAQ", and "More" links in the navbar (but not
> "Libraries").
>
> Another cool use case seems to be that, instead of specifying the
> relative-path-to-boost-root, you can also specify a global url (like
> http://www.boost.org) and it will work with the images from there and
> the navbar links will also point to the right place.  This seems
> useful for developing libs that are not yet in boost, and don't
> necessarily have a relative path to a boost root (when uploaded
> somewhere).

Not directly related to your ideas but I'd just like to mention something
aloud since lots of things are changing fast.

I think quickbook is a great code documentation tool and I use it to
document code (and more) at work.  I would like to make sure that quickbook
and its generated output is still useable without boost and for non-boost
documentation.

I dont know if I still have to but before I had to add something like the
following to my jamfile

<xsl:param>boost.image.src=images/company_logo.png
<xsl:param>boost.image.alt="\"Company Name\""
<xsl:param>boost.image.w=100
<xsl:param>boost.image.h=100

Which seems sort of silly.  Couldn't a more descriptive name be chosen for
these paramaters that would invite the rest of the world to use these cool
documentation tools?

Thanks,

Michael Marcin

Re: apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheetand Libraries link?

Joel de Guzman-2
Michael Marcin wrote:

> Not directly related to your ideas but I'd just like to mention something
> aloud since lots of things are changing fast.
>
> I think quickbook is a great code documentation tool and I use it to
> document code (and more) at work.  I would like to make sure that quickbook
> and its generated output is still useable without boost and for non-boost
> documentation.
>
> I dont know if I still have to but before I had to add something like the
> following to my jamfile
>
> <xsl:param>boost.image.src=images/company_logo.png
> <xsl:param>boost.image.alt="\"Company Name\""
> <xsl:param>boost.image.w=100
> <xsl:param>boost.image.h=100
>
> Which seems sort of silly.  Couldn't a more descriptive name be chosen for
> these paramaters that would invite the rest of the world to use these cool
> documentation tools?

Agreed 100%. That one always strikes me as odd. I'm sure no one will
object to a patch.

Aside: we need to get Rene's installer, or something similar, online,
to make it easier for people to use quick/boostbook. Installation is
the number one PITA. If we make it effortless to install, we'll have
more people using it, for sure.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheetand Libraries link?

Matias Capeletto
Hi, I am working to do exactly this and even more while simplifying things.
Here is the post where I present the issue:

http://www.nabble.com/-boost-docs---boostbook--Documenting-and-revising-params-t3943381.html

> Michael Marcin:
> I think quickbook is a great code documentation tool and I use it to
> document code (and more) at work.  I would like to make sure that quickbook
> and its generated output is still useable without boost and for non-boost
> documentation.

YES!
This will be very easy to do, because all the style information
including images and sizes will be controlled by the css and not the
html.

I will start documenting this params soon so it will be better if you
present your woes now.

Best regards
Matias

Re: apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheetand Libraries link?

John Maddock
Stjepan Rajko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Maddock recently mentioned using the boost.root parameter to
> avoid having to have copies of html/images in a libs own doc/html
> directory.  In addition, this parameter is also applied as a prefix to
> the "Home", "People", "FAQ", and "More" links in the navbar (but not
> "Libraries").
>
> Another cool use case seems to be that, instead of specifying the
> relative-path-to-boost-root, you can also specify a global url (like
> http://www.boost.org) and it will work with the images from there and
> the navbar links will also point to the right place.  This seems
> useful for developing libs that are not yet in boost, and don't
> necessarily have a relative path to a boost root (when uploaded
> somewhere).
>
> My question is, should the boost.root parameter by default also be
> applied as a prefix to the boostbook.css location, as well as the
> "Libraries" link in the navbar?

I believe it already does apply to the .css in cvs HEAD, we should fix it so
that "Libraries" is found as well though.

> The latter would require something similar in the definition of the
> boost.libraries xsl:param in navbar.xsl.
>
> Does this sound reasonable to add?  I can post the diffs here for
> verification, since this is the first time I've looked at an xsl
> sheet.

Sure go ahead.

John.

On 6/21/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stjepan Rajko wrote:
> >
> > My question is, should the boost.root parameter by default also be
> > applied as a prefix to the boostbook.css location, as well as the
> > "Libraries" link in the navbar?
>
> I believe it already does apply to the .css in cvs HEAD, we should fix it so
> that "Libraries" is found as well though.

I double checked and it doesn't seem to apply boost.root as a prefix
to the .css.

> > The latter would require something similar in the definition of the
> > boost.libraries xsl:param in navbar.xsl.
> >
> > Does this sound reasonable to add?  I can post the diffs here for
> > verification, since this is the first time I've looked at an xsl
> > sheet.
>
> Sure go ahead.

Patches attached.  Since navbar.xsl defines boost.root as ../.. by
default, the patches have the following effects when boost.root is not
defined in the Jamfile, and neither are boost.libraries and
html.stylesheet:

* instead of using 'boostbook.css', it will use '../../doc/html/boostbook.css'
* instead of Libraries pointing to 'libraries.html', it will point to
../../libs/libraries.htm'

Of course, if boost.libraries and/or html.stylesheet are defined
explicitly then those values are used instead.

Should I apply these to CVS HEAD then?

Stjepan

xhtml.xsl.patch (1014 bytes) Download Attachment
html.xsl.patch (1008 bytes) Download Attachment
navbar.xsl.patch (980 bytes) Download Attachment

On 7/3/07, Stjepan Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/21/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Stjepan Rajko wrote:
> > >
> > > My question is, should the boost.root parameter by default also be
> > > applied as a prefix to the boostbook.css location, as well as the
> > > "Libraries" link in the navbar?
> >
> > I believe it already does apply to the .css in cvs HEAD, we should fix it so
> > that "Libraries" is found as well though.
> >

> I double checked and it doesn't seem to apply boost.root as a prefix
> to the .css.
>
> > > The latter would require something similar in the definition of the
> > > boost.libraries xsl:param in navbar.xsl.
> > >
> > > Does this sound reasonable to add?  I can post the diffs here for
> > > verification, since this is the first time I've looked at an xsl
> > > sheet.
> >
> > Sure go ahead.
> >

> Patches attached.  Since navbar.xsl defines boost.root as ../.. by
> default, the patches have the following effects when boost.root is not
> defined in the Jamfile, and neither are boost.libraries and
> html.stylesheet:
>
> * instead of using 'boostbook.css', it will use '../../doc/html/boostbook.css'
> * instead of Libraries pointing to 'libraries.html', it will point to
> ../../libs/libraries.htm'
>
> Of course, if boost.libraries and/or html.stylesheet are defined
> explicitly then those values are used instead.
>
> Should I apply these to CVS HEAD then?

:(

Thanks for jumping in anyway.
I work three days to simplify boostbook params and to have only one
place in Boost with the resources: stylesheets, images, etc.

I will write docs about it soon.
Please check:

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocsRepository

Best regards
Matias

On 7/3/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Stjepan Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Patches attached.  Since navbar.xsl defines boost.root as ../.. by
> > default, the patches have the following effects when boost.root is not
> > defined in the Jamfile, and neither are boost.libraries and
> > html.stylesheet:
> >
> > * instead of using 'boostbook.css', it will use '../../doc/html/boostbook.css'
> > * instead of Libraries pointing to 'libraries.html', it will point to
> > ../../libs/libraries.htm'
> >
> > Of course, if boost.libraries and/or html.stylesheet are defined
> > explicitly then those values are used instead.
> >
> > Should I apply these to CVS HEAD then?
>
> :(
>
> Thanks for jumping in anyway.
> I work three days to simplify boostbook params and to have only one
> place in Boost with the resources: stylesheets, images, etc.
>
> I will write docs about it soon.
> Please check:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocsRepository

Yeah I figured this may have been a silly thing to do with all the
changes in the sandbox that make it obsolete :-)

Stjepan

Re: apply xsl:param boost.root as a prefix to stylesheetand Libraries link?

Matias Capeletto
On 7/3/07, Stjepan Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I work three days to simplify boostbook params and to have only one
> > place in Boost with the resources: stylesheets, images, etc.
> >
> > I will write docs about it soon.
> > Please check:
> >
> > http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocsRepository
> >
> Yeah I figured this may have been a silly thing to do with all the
> changes in the sandbox that make it obsolete :-)

Silly? Never... Now you know some of the internals of boostbook. That
is a good thing :)
By the way, I know you have make some progress with smart_ptr docs.
Can you commit this changes to the boost_docs repository.
It does not have to be finished. I think this will encourage others to jump in.

Thanks!
Best regards
Matias

PS: Nice to finally meeting you... :D