anonymous access to boost-consulting

Gennadiy Rozental
I remember it used to be possible. Now I am getting:

C:\temp\ww>cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/boost checkout
boost
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [checkout aborted]: anonymous: no such user

Any pointers?

Gennadiy

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

David Abrahams
"Gennadiy Rozental" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I remember it used to be possible. Now I am getting:
>
> C:\temp\ww>cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/boost checkout
> boost
> Fatal error, aborting.
> cvs [checkout aborted]: anonymous: no such user
>
> Any pointers?

You can browse boost at http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost, but we
don't provide public CVS service.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

Gennadiy Rozental

> You can browse boost at http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost, but we
> don't provide public CVS service.

The problem is that "official" cvs access doesn't seems to work either:

C:\temp\ww>cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/boost
checkout boost
cvs checkout: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

cvs [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server cvs.sourceforge.net
rejected access to /cvsroot/boost for user anonymous

Gennadiy

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

pabristow
Well this is the method of access suggested in the Boost docs!

Are you telling me this is no longer available?

In order to help with the documentation and examples, I'm trying to get
Gennadiy's latest and greatest updates to the Boost.Test library (only).
There are quite a lot of files, so using the web browser doesn't seem
practical.

Please can you suggest how I can achieve this.

Is it that I (we - actually his team is five people) need username and
passwords?
Probably we don't need write access.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul A Bristow
Phone and SMS text +44 1539 561830, Mobile and SMS text +44 7714 330204

So you should report that problem to SourceForge.

But why are you using pserver access anyway?  As a Boost developer,
you should be using ssh access.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

Jim Douglas-2
David Abrahams wrote:

> But why are you using pserver access anyway?  As a Boost developer,
> you should be using ssh access.

Thanks for the tip - I was experiencing major problems using pserver and
switching to ssh has given me error free access.

Jim

"Paul A Bristow" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Well this is the method of access suggested in the Boost docs!
>
> Are you telling me this is no longer available?

Yes, it has been disabled for a long while, because the sourceforge
server that provides the nightly CVS tarballs that I try to mirror
routinely refuses the connection.  I just tried again, and it still
happens.

> In order to help with the documentation and examples, I'm trying to
> get Gennadiy's latest and greatest updates to the Boost.Test library
> (only).  There are quite a lot of files, so using the web browser
> doesn't seem practical.
>
> Please can you suggest how I can achieve this.

Use pserver access from sourceforge, or use some kind of spidering
software to walk through and collect the relevant parts of
http://boost-consulting.com/boost, or download the snapshot tarball
from http://boost-consulting.com/boost.tar.bzw

I'm out of other ideas; as long as SF's pserver access is broken, all
we can do is wait for the change to OSL-supported SVN.

> Is it that I (we - actually his team is five people) need username
> and passwords?

Usernames and passwords would get you ssh access, which is more
reliable than pserver access.

> Probably we don't need write access.

We don't have a reasonable way of giving you ssh access without write
permission.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

pabristow

I've reaised this issue with Sourceforge today.

 or use some kind of spidering
| software to walk through and collect the relevant parts of
| http://boost-consulting.com/boost,

This looks a hassle.

 or download the snapshot tarball
| from http://boost-consulting.com/boost.tar.bzw

This also works, but I only really want the test part and sorting the new
files is a nuisance.

| I'm out of other ideas; as long as SF's pserver access is broken, all
| we can do is wait for the change to OSL-supported SVN.
|
| > Is it that I (we - actually his team is five people) need username
| > and passwords?
|
| Usernames and passwords would get you ssh access, which is more
| reliable than pserver access.

This seems the least worst answer.

| > Probably we don't need write access.
|
| We don't have a reasonable way of giving you ssh access without write
| permission.

I hope we are to be trusted.

Paul

--
Paul A Bristow
Phone and SMS text +44 1539 561830, Mobile and SMS text +44 7714 330204
mailto: [hidden email]  http://www.hetp.u-net.com/index.html
http://www.hetp.u-net.com/Paul%20A%20Bristow%20info.html

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

David Abrahams
"Paul A Bristow" <[hidden email]> writes:

I've reinstated the CVS mirror at boost-consulting.  It seems that you
can eventually get through and retrieve a tarball.  It will take a
little while before the repository is available, though.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

David Abrahams <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Paul A Bristow" <[hidden email]> writes:

Unfortunately, the tarball is corrupted.  So we're back at square 1,
sorry.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: anonymous access to boost-consulting

pabristow

| >> |

| > I've reinstated the CVS mirror at boost-consulting.  It
| seems that you
| > can eventually get through and retrieve a tarball.  It will take a
| > little while before the repository is available, though.
|
| Unfortunately, the tarball is corrupted.  So we're back at square 1,
| sorry.

Thanks for trying.

Gennadiy says he has got connected to Sourceforge, but I have yet to :-((

Paul