Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges

Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges

Boost - Dev mailing list
In case the list didn't know, from the Creator's Update onwards Windows
10 allows normal users to create symlinks if the machine is put into
Developer mode:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/12/02/symlinks-windows-10/

I don't know about others, but this will be a major time saver for me at
least, I had been using hard links on Windows which are prone to
accidental data loss.

Niall

Re: Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges

Boost - Dev mailing list
> [...] Windows 10 allows normal users to create symlinks if the machine
> is put into Developer mode

At least you don't have to be a Microsoft Certified Symlink Creator to
use this feature. But does Boost use symlinks for anything in its
source tree? I think
it's the Cygwin project who are going to be especially (un)happy about this
Windows update.

—— Pavel K.

On 5/14/2017 7:47 AM, Pavel Kretov via Boost wrote:
>> [...] Windows 10 allows normal users to create symlinks if the machine
>> is put into Developer mode
>
> At least you don't have to be a Microsoft Certified Symlink Creator to
> use this feature. But does Boost use symlinks for anything in its
> source tree?

Boost uses symlinks, when available, to create its 'boost' subdirectory
in the source tree. That's what running 'b2 headers' from the Boost root
is all about, although I believe this latter is now done automatically
when using b2.

> I think
> it's the Cygwin project who are going to be especially (un)happy about this
> Windows update.
>
> —— Pavel K.

Re: Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On 14 May 2017, at 14:46, Edward Diener via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 5/14/2017 7:47 AM, Pavel Kretov via Boost wrote:
>>> [...] Windows 10 allows normal users to create symlinks if the machine
>>> is put into Developer mode
>> At least you don't have to be a Microsoft Certified Symlink Creator to
>> use this feature. But does Boost use symlinks for anything in its
>> source tree?
>
> Boost uses symlinks, when available, to create its 'boost' subdirectory in the source tree. That's what running 'b2 headers' from the Boost root is all about, although I believe this latter is now done automatically when using b2.

I would like to have that confirmed if possible by Boost.Build experts.  It is possible it appear to be done automatically, as it did in the past, but did not produce correct (complete) results unless called explicitly.  It is certainly desired to be automatic and correct, but take care to state it is so unless you are sure.  I think Steven had some intentions to find a solution, but I am not sure it was ever fixed.

Bjørn

Re: Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges

Boost - Dev mailing list
AMDG

On 05/14/2017 10:02 AM, Bjørn Roald via Boost wrote:

>>> At least you don't have to be a Microsoft Certified Symlink Creator to
>>> use this feature. But does Boost use symlinks for anything in its
>>> source tree?
>>
>> Boost uses symlinks, when available, to create its 'boost' subdirectory in the source tree. That's what running 'b2 headers' from the Boost root is all about, although I believe this latter is now done automatically when using b2.
>
> I would like to have that confirmed if possible by Boost.Build experts.  It is possible it appear to be done automatically, as it did in the past, but did not produce correct (complete) results unless called explicitly.  It is certainly desired to be automatic and correct, but take care to state it is so unless you are sure.  I think Steven had some intentions to find a solution, but I am not sure it was ever fixed.

  The situation is still the same as ever.  Most headers
will be updated on demand, but headers that are #included
through a macro may be missed.  symlinks make the situation
a bit better as the links never need to updated after they
are created.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe