What happened to Boost.Nowide?

I'm a user of (a fork of) Boost.Nowide and already fixed some issues I
found and was looking into getting them upstream.

I also wanted to know, if it is finally in Boost. Unfortunately this
does not seem to be the case. I found
https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost//2017/06/236475.php which
accepted it into Boost. This is from mid-2017 and nothing has happened
since.

Does anyone know what the status of Boost.Nowide is? It seems the
filestream parts are now incorporated into Boost.FileSystem. So it seems
only cin/cout/cerr, the args wrapper and the C-functions (fopen, ...)
are missing. Especially the first 2 are very useful in writing
cross-platform code.

Might those be integrated into some other Boost Library?

Thanks,
Alex

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: What happened to Boost.Nowide?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:11 AM Alexander Grund via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know what the status of Boost.Nowide is? It seems the
> filestream parts are now incorporated into Boost.FileSystem. So it seems
> only cin/cout/cerr, the args wrapper and the C-functions (fopen, ...)
> are missing. Especially the first 2 are very useful in writing
> cross-platform code.

I don't know the status of Boost.Nowide. However, it's usefulness has
diminished with the introduction of UTF-8 codepage support in Windows 10 in
May this year. See
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page
.

--
Yakov Galka
http://stannum.co.il/

Am 07.11.19 um 03:39 schrieb Yakov Galka:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:11 AM Alexander Grund via Boost
>
>     Does anyone know what the status of Boost.Nowide is? It seems the
>     filestream parts are now incorporated into Boost.FileSystem. So it
>     seems
>     only cin/cout/cerr, the args wrapper and the C-functions (fopen, ...)
>     are missing. Especially the first 2 are very useful in writing
>     cross-platform code.
>

> I don't know the status of Boost.Nowide. However, it's usefulness has
> diminished with the introduction of UTF-8 codepage support in Windows
> 10 in May this year. See
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page.
Interesting, thanks! Great to see that someone at MS finally made the
right decision so that Windows is no longer the only OS not supporting UTF8.

However it does require Win10 1903 minimum and a change to the
manifest(s). So maybe Nowide still has some use.

Alex

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: What happened to Boost.Nowide?

Am 07.11.19 um 03:39 schrieb Yakov Galka:
>  However, it's usefulness has diminished with the introduction of
> UTF-8 codepage support in Windows 10 in May this year. See
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page.

I just noticed that it is very unfortunate, that this didn't happen 3
years (or so) ago. Now not only `boost::filesystem::path` is using
`wchar` but also the C++17 `std::filesystem::path` does so. So we now
have costly conversions and wasting half the space on windows for no gain :/

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment