Verbose output from configuration checks

Verbose output from configuration checks

Boost - Build mailing list
Hi,

after switching from MSVC 14.1 to 15.0, I now have output from bjam and
cl in the log file during the "Performing Configuration Checks" phase,
which causes Jenkins to yell at me for having compile errors in a
project that reports to build successfully.

I have no immediate idea how a newer compiler version would affect
bjam's behavior here; the Boost version and commandline for b2 are the same.

With MSVC 14.1:

http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/25/consoleFull

With MSVC 15.0:

http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/45/consoleFull

How does b2 decide whether to generate output and/or redirect the output
from the compiler?

   Simon

Re: Verbose output from configuration checks

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/17/2018 03:42 PM, Simon Richter via Boost-build wrote:

> after switching from MSVC 14.1 to 15.0, I now have output from bjam and
> cl in the log file during the "Performing Configuration Checks" phase,
> which causes Jenkins to yell at me for having compile errors in a
> project that reports to build successfully.
>
> I have no immediate idea how a newer compiler version would affect
> bjam's behavior here; the Boost version and commandline for b2 are the same.
>
> With MSVC 14.1:
>

> http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/25/consoleFull
>
> With MSVC 15.0:
>

> http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/45/consoleFull
>
> How does b2 decide whether to generate output and/or redirect the output
> from the compiler?

  b2 is supposed to redirect all the output from configure
checks.  I think others have reported similar behavior to
what you're describing, but I've never managed to reproduce
it myself, so I have have no idea why it's happening.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: Verbose output from configuration checks

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/17/2018 03:42 PM, Simon Richter via Boost-build wrote:

> after switching from MSVC 14.1 to 15.0, I now have output from bjam and
> cl in the log file during the "Performing Configuration Checks" phase,
> which causes Jenkins to yell at me for having compile errors in a
> project that reports to build successfully.
>
> I have no immediate idea how a newer compiler version would affect
> bjam's behavior here; the Boost version and commandline for b2 are the same.
>
> With MSVC 14.1:
>

> http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/25/consoleFull
>
> With MSVC 15.0:
>

> http://darine.hogyros.de:8080/job/windows-boost-msvc/build=release,cpu=amd64,label=msvc/45/consoleFull
>
> How does b2 decide whether to generate output and/or redirect the output
> from the compiler?

This is definitely a bug.  It seems to be related
to --build-dir somehow.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: Verbose output from configuration checks

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/17/2018 03:42 PM, Simon Richter via Boost-build wrote:
> after switching from MSVC 14.1 to 15.0, I now have output from bjam and
> cl in the log file during the "Performing Configuration Checks" phase,
> which causes Jenkins to yell at me for having compile errors in a
> project that reports to build successfully.

  The log file was not being opened correctly, when
you pass an absolute windows path to --build-dir.
Fixed in develop.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe