V2/1.34: Can we make it?

David Abrahams

If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.

I have a personal investment in this, not least because I'm going to
be giving talks on how to use Boost in the next few months and it will
be embarassing to have to mumble excuses about how there's something
lots better coming but for now everyone should use BBv1.

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Reece Dunn
David Abrahams wrote:
>If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
>I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.

Same for me - if there is anything I can do to get V2 ready, let me know.

It may be useful putting this on the Wiki - what is needed for V2 to be
ready for release to make it easier to track if multiple people are helping.
People could hten also put their names beside what they are working on so
that we don't duplicate effort.

Thoughts?

- Reece

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Vladimir Prus
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 02:03, Reece Dunn wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
> >If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
> >I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.
>
> Same for me - if there is anything I can do to get V2 ready, let me know.
>
> It may be useful putting this on the Wiki - what is needed for V2 to be
> ready for release to make it easier to track if multiple people are
> helping. People could hten also put their names beside what they are
> working on so that we don't duplicate effort.

You can find the list all all issues assigned to "C++ Boost switch to V2"
milestone at http://tinyurl.com/8mnbr

And if you want to work on any, just accept the ticket. I'll walk though the
list we have on Wiki again today and file any remaining issues and then get
to hacking.

- Volodya

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Reece Dunn
Vladimir Prus wrote:

>On Tuesday 31 January 2006 02:03, Reece Dunn wrote:
> > David Abrahams wrote:
> > >If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
> > >I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.
> >
> > Same for me - if there is anything I can do to get V2 ready, let me
>know.
> >
> > It may be useful putting this on the Wiki - what is needed for V2 to be
> > ready for release to make it easier to track if multiple people are
> > helping. People could hten also put their names beside what they are
> > working on so that we don't duplicate effort.
>
>You can find the list all all issues assigned to "C++ Boost switch to V2"
>milestone at http://tinyurl.com/8mnbr

Cool.

>And if you want to work on any, just accept the ticket. I'll walk though
>the
>list we have on Wiki again today and file any remaining issues and then get
>to hacking.

How do you log in/create a new account so that you can assign a ticket to
yourself?

I am going to have a look at the "Review supported toolsets" ticket and will
assign it to me when I can log on.

- Reece

Tracker registration (Was: V2/1.34: Can we make it?)

Vladimir Prus
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 11:46, Reece Dunn wrote:

> > > It may be useful putting this on the Wiki - what is needed for V2 to be
> > > ready for release to make it easier to track if multiple people are
> > > helping. People could hten also put their names beside what they are
> > > working on so that we don't duplicate effort.
> >
> >You can find the list all all issues assigned to "C++ Boost switch to V2"
> >milestone at http://tinyurl.com/8mnbr
>
> Cool.
>
> >And if you want to work on any, just accept the ticket. I'll walk though
> >the
> >list we have on Wiki again today and file any remaining issues and then
> > get to hacking.
>
> How do you log in/create a new account so that you can assign a ticket to
> yourself?

I believe you can just use your email in the entry form, without registration.
I'm not sure there are many functional differences when you login, but it's
just more convenient, and the way to to this is ask me by email.

I'll send you a private email with the password in a moment.

On Monday 30 January 2006 22:44, David Abrahams wrote:
> If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
> I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.

Help with either

   https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/23

or

   https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/26

will be very appreciated. I'm still working on converting all V1 test Jamfile
to V2 and when that done we can ask somebody to try regressions on Linux.

- Volodya

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

David Abrahams
Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Monday 30 January 2006 22:44, David Abrahams wrote:
>> If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
>> I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.
>
> Help with either
>
>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/23
>
> or
>
>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/26

Can we move this to another server?  As usual, the server is
unreachable and/or the response time is long.  I've been waiting 60
seconds for the first link to come up and still nothing.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Vladimir Prus
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 19:02, David Abrahams wrote:

> Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On Monday 30 January 2006 22:44, David Abrahams wrote:
> >> If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
> >> I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.
> >
> > Help with either
> >
> >    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/23
> >
> > or
> >
> >    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/26
>
> Can we move this to another server?

Which one?

> As usual, the server is
> unreachable and/or the response time is long.  I've been waiting 60
> seconds for the first link to come up and still nothing.

Can you run the "traceroute" command to verify where the bottleneck is?

23 is:

 The tests for Boost Serilization library have quite a complex logic for
requirements. For example, toolset:require-boost-spirit-support does will
check if the current toolset is borland, and if so check that global var
SPRIT_ROOT is defined, and if it's defined, add <include>$(SPIRIT_ROOT) to
requirements. V2 does not have a comparable mechanism.

I can see three methods.

Allow rule names in the requirements list, just like in V1. The rule will be
called with the current list of properties and will return the new list. In a
sense, this will be equivalent to conditional requirements.
Write a completely special target with a custom generator. The custom
generator's 'run' method will contain the same logic and return new
properties as usage requirements. This is similar to how stlport module works
at the moment.
Allow to customize build process of a target without creating complete custom
generator, but just creating a rule that will act as 'run' method of the
generator. For example:
build-indirectly spirit : @spirit-builder ;
# The parameters of the run as the same as for generator.run
rule spirit-builder ( name project ? : sources * : property-set )

 Approach 3 can have wider utility -- it's often desirable to control build
process details, but writing a custom generator each time is too much syntax
noise.

26 is:
   Sometimes it's desirable to skip building of a specific target, because
   building is known to fail, for example:

      compile a : <toolset>borland:<build>no ;

   Need to implement this <build>no that's present in V1.

- Volodya

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

David Abrahams
David Abrahams <[hidden email]> writes:

> Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Monday 30 January 2006 22:44, David Abrahams wrote:
>>> If there is any hope of replacing v1 with v2 for the upcoming release,
>>> I'd like to know what needs to be done and how I can help.
>>
>> Help with either
>>
>>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/23
>>
>> or
>>
>>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/26
>
> Can we move this to another server?  As usual, the server is
> unreachable and/or the response time is long.  I've been waiting 60
> seconds for the first link to come up and still nothing.

I got through eventually, but only after first trying to visit the top
level of https://zigzag.cs.msu.su and accepting the certificate there.
Is it normal that accessing a sub-page of such a site should hang
forever?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Vladimir Prus
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 19:09, David Abrahams wrote:

> David Abrahams <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> writes:
> >>
> >> Help with either
> >>
> >>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/23
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >>    https://zigzag.cs.msu.su:7813/boost.build/ticket/26
> >
> > Can we move this to another server?  As usual, the server is
> > unreachable and/or the response time is long.  I've been waiting 60
> > seconds for the first link to come up and still nothing.
>
> I got through eventually, but only after first trying to visit the top
> level of https://zigzag.cs.msu.su and accepting the certificate there.
> Is it normal that accessing a sub-page of such a site should hang
> forever?

No, your browser should ask you to accept the certificate right away.

- Volodya

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Reece Dunn
Vladimir Prus wrote:

>On Tuesday 31 January 2006 19:09, David Abrahams wrote:
> > David Abrahams <[hidden email]> writes:
>release,

> > > Can we move this to another server?  As usual, the server is
> > > unreachable and/or the response time is long.  I've been waiting 60
> > > seconds for the first link to come up and still nothing.
> >
> > I got through eventually, but only after first trying to visit the top
> > level of https://zigzag.cs.msu.su and accepting the certificate there.
> > Is it normal that accessing a sub-page of such a site should hang
> > forever?
>
>No, your browser should ask you to accept the certificate right away.

It works in Firefox :). BTW, when accessing via FF, it initially asks for a
certificate on one page, then when it redirects, FF informs me that the
certificate is from a different website (IIRC, they only differ by the .su
extension). After OKing that, everything works fine.

I think Dave is using IE and that is having issues with the certificates and
URL redirection.

HTH,
- Reece

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

David Abrahams
"Reece Dunn" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>
>>No, your browser should ask you to accept the certificate right away.
>
> It works in Firefox :).

I'm using Firefox :)

> BTW, when accessing via FF, it initially asks for a
> certificate on one page, then when it redirects, FF informs me that the
> certificate is from a different website (IIRC, they only differ by the .su
> extension). After OKing that, everything works fine.
>
> I think Dave is using IE

I'm insulted!

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

Reece Dunn
David Abrahams wrote:
>"Reece Dunn" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > It works in Firefox :).
>
>I'm using Firefox :)

Hmm... I don't know why it didn't work for you, then :(.

> > I think Dave is using IE
>
>I'm insulted!

Sorry! I was just assuming that because the certificate identification
wasn't working properly for you. I apologise for thinking that you were
using IE.

Is the problem due to how you have configured FF to handle certificates. Are
you using FF1.0 or FF1.5 (as they might behave differently)?

- Reece

Re: V2/1.34: Can we make it?

David Abrahams
"Reece Dunn" <[hidden email]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>>"Reece Dunn" <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > It works in Firefox :).
>>
>>I'm using Firefox :)
>
> Hmm... I don't know why it didn't work for you, then :(.
>
>> > I think Dave is using IE
>>
>>I'm insulted!
>
> Sorry! I was just assuming that because the certificate identification
> wasn't working properly for you. I apologise for thinking that you were
> using IE.
>
> Is the problem due to how you have configured FF to handle certificates. Are
> you using FF1.0 or FF1.5 (as they might behave differently)?

I think it's an old one that comes with Ubuntu.  1.0.7.  I don't know
why they haven't upgraded the distro.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting