Using multi_array for OpenGL textures

Matthias Biedermann
Hi there,

I'd like to use 3D volume date stored as multi_array with OpenGL as
texture. What is the best way to do this without copying, as the default
ordering seems to be incompatible with OpenGL's column-major layout?
I've read something about custom storage orderings etc. but my first
tries did not work right away... Or is this related to the quite recent
bug regarding resizing multi_arrays with non-default ordering (from Mar 6)?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matthias

Re: Using multi_array for OpenGL textures

Ronald Garcia
Hi Matthias,

You should be able to build a column-major 3d array using the storage
order facility of multi_array.  If you are resizing your arrays, then
it is possible that you were affected by that bug.  If not, then it
should not have been a problem.

Cheers,
ron

On Mar 27, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Matthias Biedermann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to use 3D volume date stored as multi_array with OpenGL as
> texture. What is the best way to do this without copying, as the
> default
> ordering seems to be incompatible with OpenGL's column-major layout?
> I've read something about custom storage orderings etc. but my first
> tries did not work right away... Or is this related to the quite
> recent
> bug regarding resizing multi_arrays with non-default ordering (from
> Mar 6)?
>

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Matthias

Re: Using multi_array for OpenGL textures

Matthias Biedermann
Hi Ronald,

thanks for your immediate answer. Could you give some hints about using
these facilities? Is it sufficient to use 'fortran_storage_order' or do
I have to build things upon the general system? I've already looked into
the documentation, but I'm not sure what the right way would be...

Thanx again,
Matthias

Ronald Garcia wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> You should be able to build a column-major 3d array using the storage
> order facility of multi_array.  If you are resizing your arrays, then
> it is possible that you were affected by that bug.  If not, then it
> should not have been a problem.
>
> Cheers,
> ron
>
> On Mar 27, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Matthias Biedermann wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I'd like to use 3D volume date stored as multi_array with OpenGL as
>>texture. What is the best way to do this without copying, as the
>>default
>>ordering seems to be incompatible with OpenGL's column-major layout?
>>I've read something about custom storage orderings etc. but my first
>>tries did not work right away... Or is this related to the quite
>>recent
>>bug regarding resizing multi_arrays with non-default ordering (from
>>Mar 6)?
>>

>>Thanks in advance for your help,
>>Matthias

Re: Using multi_array for OpenGL textures

Ronald Garcia
Hi Matthias,

If all you need is column-major layout then fortran_storage_order
should suffice.

Cheers,
ron