Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

I’m getting the following message during compilation of my application:

1>Info: Boost.Config is older than your compiler version - probably nothing bad will happen - but you may wish to look for an update Boost version.  Define BOOST_CONFIG_SUPPRESS_OUTDATED_MESSAGE to suppress this message.

I don’t want to suppress the message, but would appreciate any mods I need to do to actually stop its cause.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

Re: Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

Boost - Users mailing list
On 31/01/2018 17:39, Tim Burgess via Boost-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m getting the following message during compilation of my application:
>
> 1>Info: Boost.Config is older than your compiler version - probably
> nothing bad will happen - but you may wish to look for an update Boost
> version.  Define BOOST_CONFIG_SUPPRESS_OUTDATED_MESSAGE to suppress
> this message.
>
> I don’t want to suppress the message, but would appreciate any mods I
> need to do to actually stop its cause.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Tim Burgess

I don't know the answer to your question because I had a similar problem
but it was about angle brackets for include files as opposed to
something like this"boost.h".  I managed to sort it out by defining the
include folder in the IDE and it worked but I choose only the certain
libraries that I am interested in.

You may also be interested in this:

<https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2018/01/10/boost-test-unit-testing-dynamic-library-support-and-new-item-template/?utm_source=vs_developer_news&utm_medium=referral>

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Re: Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

I’m getting the following message during compilation of my application:

1>Info: Boost.Config is older than your compiler version - probably nothing bad will happen - but you may wish to look for an update Boost version.  Define BOOST_CONFIG_SUPPRESS_OUTDATED_MESSAGE to suppress this message.

I don’t want to suppress the message, but would appreciate any mods I need to do to actually stop its cause.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

As I understand it, ‘it’s a bug’ and even if you use the latest version of Boost (or even the unreleased develop branch) you will still get the message.

You should just ignore the warning for the time being (until the next Boost release is out and you can update to that).

Or you can supress the message (but it may be useful warning in future, so you may want to re-enable it later, which may be a nuisance).

Paul

---

Paul A. Bristow

Prizet Farmhouse

Kendal UK LA8 8AB

+44 (0) 1539 561830

On 01/02/2018 10:13, Paul A. Bristow via Boost-users wrote:

> [...]

Not a bug - that's the way it's supposed to work.  It's a gentle warning
that the Boost release you're using hasn't been tested with that msvc
release.

VS2017 update 5 came out at about the same time as 1.66 so we hadn't had
a chance to adjust Boost.Config for the new features in that release,
neither did we have a regression test runner for that compiler at that
time.   So you can either:

* Ignore it and wait for 1.67: some compiler features which could have
been enabled will still be disabled (as per the previous msvc release).
* Define the macro indicated to shut it up.
* Download the current Boost.Config master from
https://github.com/boostorg/config/archive/master.zip and extract the
contents of /include/boost/ over the top of your boost-root/boost/.

HTH, John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

Boost - Users mailing list
John,

That's a great explanation which puts my mind at rest and, more importantly,
gives me the understanding that I was missing.

Many thanks.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

Ok - it's a feature ;-)

But given the rate of Visual Studio updates (roughly every Msec ;-) roughly the same as time for the Boost release process to
complete), so the odds are that Boost will never catch up Visual Studio!).

So I'm not entirely convinced that this will prove terribly helpful.

It might be intuitive to say

  Info: Your compiler version is newer than Boost.Config.

Would a shorter message and a link to a fuller explanation like

  Info: Boost.Config is older than your compiler version.
  (See also http://boost.org/link_about_this_message.)

be less clutter and not cause user 'alarm'?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

Boost - Users mailing list
Actually, there's a knock-on effect of downloading and copying over the
files, as suggested - the linker now looks for libs numbered 167, which
fails as my libs are 166. I tried rebuilding the libs with the updated
configuration in place, but still get 166-numbered files. I could obviously
do a global rename to get around this, but thought I'd post here as a
heads-up.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

On 01/02/2018 13:01, Tim Burgess via Boost-users wrote:
> Actually, there's a knock-on effect of downloading and copying over the
> files, as suggested - the linker now looks for libs numbered 167, which
> fails as my libs are 166. I tried rebuilding the libs with the updated
> configuration in place, but still get 166-numbered files. I could obviously
> do a global rename to get around this, but thought I'd post here as a
> heads-up.

Oops, sorry for the bad steer.  You probably need to revert
boost/version.hpp back to the 1.66 version.

> Best wishes.
>
> Tim Burgess

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Using Boost 1.66 with VS2017

Boost - Users mailing list
John,

No problem - I'm doing exactly that and I'll ignore the warnings (I don't like suppressing such things) - what I said about increased understanding still applies, so thanks again.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

On 01/02/2018 13:01, Tim Burgess via Boost-users wrote:
> Actually, there's a knock-on effect of downloading and copying over
> the files, as suggested - the linker now looks for libs numbered 167,
> which fails as my libs are 166. I tried rebuilding the libs with the
> updated configuration in place, but still get 166-numbered files. I
> could obviously do a global rename to get around this, but thought I'd
> post here as a heads-up.

Oops, sorry for the bad steer.  You probably need to revert boost/version.hpp back to the 1.66 version.

> Best wishes.
>
> Tim Burgess

---
http://www.avg.com