Quantcast

Update Public Documentation (and new release?)

Update Public Documentation (and new release?)

Boost - Build mailing list
The documentation on the website at http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/index.html is pretty badly out of date, how do we get it updated?

As near as I can tell, this corresponds to when the last independent release of the boost build tool happened in Oct 2014:
https://github.com/boostorg/build/releases/tag/2014.10

As an outsider to the boost build community, I'm not sure how the process works here, can someone point me towards it?

It appears that we don't do releases with each version of boost, however, we do ship a new version with each boost release (whatever was on master when the release dropped)? Is that correct?

Finally, the documentation in the releases seems broken. Starting from D:\local\boost_1_63_0\index.html and clicking the "Tools" link, then the "Boost.Build" link takes us to the boost build landing page at D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\index.html. This page and the tutorial at D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\tutorial.html are fine. However, trying to get to the documentation at D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\doc\html\index.html fails because the tools\build\doc\html directory is not built in the released version!
The content I was expecting to see here *is* built at D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\bbv2.html with the su D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\bbv2\, but I couldn't find a way to get to that from the top-level index.html. It seems that one has to start in D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\index.html to see that version. This might be a problem with the release process vs. boost build, as it seems that the released libraries all have their doc/html generated.

Tom

Re: Update Public Documentation (and new release?)

Boost - Build mailing list
On 18 March 2017 at 03:17, Tom Kent via Boost-build
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The documentation on the website at
> http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/index.html is pretty badly out of date,
> how do we get it updated?
>
> As near as I can tell, this corresponds to when the last independent release
> of the boost build tool happened in Oct 2014:
> https://github.com/boostorg/build/releases/tag/2014.10
>
> As an outsider to the boost build community, I'm not sure how the process
> works here, can someone point me towards it?

It's automatically updated from a branch called 'website'. I guess
you'll need to merge into that branch, rebuild the documentation and
commit it on that branch.

> It appears that we don't do releases with each version of boost, however, we
> do ship a new version with each boost release (whatever was on master when
> the release dropped)? Is that correct?

Dunno.

> Finally, the documentation in the releases seems broken. Starting from
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\index.html and clicking the "Tools" link, then the
> "Boost.Build" link takes us to the boost build landing page at
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\index.html. This page and the tutorial at
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\tutorial.html are fine. However, trying to
> get to the documentation at
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\tools\build\doc\html\index.html fails because the
> tools\build\doc\html directory is not built in the released version!
> The content I was expecting to see here *is* built at
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\bbv2.html with the su
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\bbv2\, but I couldn't find a way to get to
> that from the top-level index.html. It seems that one has to start in
> D:\local\boost_1_63_0\doc\html\index.html to see that version. This might be
> a problem with the release process vs. boost build, as it seems that the
> released libraries all have their doc/html generated.

I think you need to add boostdoc/boostrelease aliases to your
documentation jamfile. Most of the libraries have them. Untested, but
I think it should be:

alias boostdoc ;
explicit boostdoc ;
alias boostrelease : userman ;
explicit boostrelease ;

On 18 March 2017 at 17:24, Daniel James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think you need to add boostdoc/boostrelease aliases to your
> documentation jamfile. Most of the libraries have them. Untested, but
> I think it should be:
>
> alias boostdoc ;
> explicit boostdoc ;
> alias boostrelease : userman ;
> explicit boostrelease ;

Sorry, that's wrong. The documentation is at '/doc/html/bbv2.html',
the redirect needs to be updated. You can see it here:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/doc/html/bbv2.html

FWIW it would be better if the tools documentation was in a better
order, the build and documentation tools are mixed up here:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/doc/html/tools.html