Unicode support

Hector C.
Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?

++Hector C.

Re: Unicode support

me22
On 3/16/06, Calderon Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries
> (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?

Probably one of the main problems is that there's no de facto or de
jure standard for Unicode in C++.  As I understand it, however, the
new filesystem library will have support for wide characters.  There
may also be some worry about the portability of wide-character
filenames or options.

Of course most (all?) libraries will handle (in terms of storing and
regurgitating) UTF-8 fine, if you can arrange for the external
environment to produce and accept it.

~ Scott

Re: Unicode support

Vladimir Prus
Calderon Hector wrote:

> Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries
> (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?

Did you read:

    http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238

and if yes, what is missing, in your opinion?

Also, are you aware that current version of the filesystem library allows
wchar_t paths?

- Volodya

Re: Unicode support

Hector C.
Comments below:

Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Calderon Hector wrote:

> Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries
> (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?

Did you read:

http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238

and if yes, what is missing, in your opinion?
In the very first example from

http://www.boost.org/doc/html/program_options/tutorial.html#id2714212

you stumble with options_description which has no Unicode support (as far as I can tell).

Also, are you aware that current version of the filesystem library allows
wchar_t paths?
I just read in a different thread ... it seems that some internal update has it. But I haven't got it yet.

++Hector C.

Re: Unicode support

Vladimir Prus
Calderon Hector wrote:

> Comments below:

Is it possible that you quote the message you reply to in a regular way?
Without quoting it's hard to find where you reply begings.

> Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote: Calderon Hector wrote:
>
>> Is there any rationale for not supporting Unicode in some boost libraries
>> (e.g. filesystem, program_options)?
>
> Did you read:
>
>     http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238
>
> and if yes, what is missing, in your opinion?
> In the very first example from
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/html/program_options/tutorial.html#id2714212
>
> you stumble with options_description which has no Unicode support (as far
> as I can tell).

What do you mean, exactly. Again, in

     http://boost.org/doc/html/program_options/howto.html#id2716238

the Unicode support is discussed in some depth. What do you mean by
"options_description has no Unicode support"? The fact that you can't give
Unicode names to options? Yes, this is not supported for now. The fact that
you can't parse wide version of argc and argv -- but you actually can! Or
what do you mean?

- Volodya

Re: Unicode support

Hector C.
Sorry for the problems with the quoting ...

In program_options, not only you cannot give Unicode names to options, but you cannot give Unicode descriptions. These are important to avoid narrow->wide conversion when printing the help message.

Another issue with Unicode support in overall boost. I cannot find a switch that would signal Unicode support and default a symbol to the correspond instance of a template (like _T in tchar.h). For example, it would be great to have

#ifdef BOOST_UNICODE
#define toptions_description woptions_description
#else
#define toptions_description options_description
#endif

where woptions_description uses Unicode for everything.

++Hector C.