Unable to figure out how to get zlib support in iostreams on windows

Unable to figure out how to get zlib support in iostreams on windows

Scott-94
Hi,

I've posted this on the boost build forums, but never got a response, so I'm
hoping someone in this group can help me.

I've spent several days banging my head with iostream zlib support on
windows.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get this to
compile.  This is on a windows XP machine with Microsoft VS 2003.

I've installed the zlib source at C:\dev\zlib and set the appropriate
command line arguments (I believe anyway) to point to it.  However, it
continues to give me an error of "unknown dependent target
<@boost!libs!iostreams!build>libboost_zlib.lib"

If I remove the zlib command line arguments, the boost library builds fine.
Can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong?  I'm sure it is something
simple, but I cannot figure it out.  I looked at the jam file regarding this
and it seems to indicate that it will compile zlib automatically.  But
apparently that isn't happening.

The complete output from the command window follows.  Thanks in advance for
any help!

Scott

bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-7_1" "-sNO_COMPRESSION=0" "-sNO_ZLIB=0"
"-sZLIB_SOURCE=C:\Dev\zlib"  "-sZLIB_INCLUDE=C:\Dev\zlib" stage

Building Boost.Iostreams with bzip2 support disabled.
To enable bzip2, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation
*** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section  ***
*** pass --without-python to suppress this message in the future ***

skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect
configuration

couldn't find Python.h in "c:/Python24/include"

You can configure the location of your python installation by setting:
PYTHON_VERSION - The 2-part python Major.Minor version number (e.g.
                 "2.2", NOT "2.2.1")  - currently "2.4"

PYTHON_ROOT    - automatically configured from PYTHON_VERSION if not
                 otherwise set ; currently "c:/Python24"

The following are automatically configured from PYTHON_ROOT if not otherwise
set:

    PYTHON_LIB_PATH       - path to Python library object; currently
                            "c:/Python24/libs"

Re: Unable to figure out how to get zlib support in iostreams on windows

Christian Henning
I'm using my own created zlib.lib. This is because I'm very tight with
project settings, in particular with the runtime libs.

In the configuration below, I building a debug version of the iostreams libs.

bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 --libdir=c:\boost\lib --with-iostreams
-sBUILD=debug "-sZLIB_BINARY=C:\Dev\zlib"
"-sZLIB_INCLUDE=C:\dev\Includes\zlib" "-sZLIB_LIBPATH=C:\dev\"
--without-python stage

I cannot remember what the -sZLIB_LIBPATH stands for. But it work on
my computer.

Hope this helps. If you still have trouble, please ask.

Christian

Re: Unable to figure out how to get zlib support in iostreams on windows

Robert Vinluan
Hi All,

I'm experiencing a similar problem on Windows.

I was able to build the iostreams library with zlib support just fine.
However, I got an error when I tried linking my program with the library:

LINK: fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'libboost_zlib-vc71-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib'

I'm not too sure why the linker is looking for this file since I
compiled the iostreams library using my own zlib library.

Here's the command I used to build iostreams:

bjam -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 --with-iostreams -sNO_BZIP2=0 -sZLIB_BINARY=zdll
-sZLIB_INCLUDE=C:/dev/include -sZLIB_LIBPATH=C:/dev/lib install

zdll.lib, zlib.lib and zlib1.dll were located in my C:/dev/lib folder.

Any ideas on what's happening here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob