Twenty years and time to retire

Boost - Dev mailing list
The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
<https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
now.

Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

--Beman

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

Boost - Dev mailing list
Thank You Beman! Boost wouldn't be what it is today without all the work you did back in those early years.
 Yours,
 Gary Powell

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

Beman,

Thank you for helping to make the Boost library. My C++ career has been
enriched by it and C++ itself has become more elegant.

Enjoy!

Peter Barker

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 15:20 Beman Dawes via Boost, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!
>
> --Beman

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

Thank you, Beman, for all the work you've poured into Boost and C++. Your
contribution is immeasurable. Without it, many of us wouldn't have been
where we are now.

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 16:20, Beman Dawes via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.

Thank you for Boost - one of my major C++ langauge reference and
source of motivation to keep learning C++.

All the best!

On 9/22/18 5:19 PM, Beman Dawes via Boost wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

Thank you, Beman. You're one of the fathers of Boost, the project that I
chose to contribute for the first time many years ago and still enjoy
contributing to and working with. Your input in Boost and C++ is invaluable.

On 22/09/2018 15:19, Beman Dawes via Boost wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

Unbelievable it's been so long, we will miss you for sure, many thanks
for all your hard work over the years and helping to make Boost what it
is today!

Best, John.

---

On Sep 22, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Beman Dawes via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

Thank you Beman, not only for boost, but all of mentoring and help you’ve offered to me personally over the years.  The C++ world would be a much different place without your massive contributions to it.

Howard

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.

It was only last week that during a talk I was giving on C++ that I was
telling of your enormous contributions to C++ over so many decades.
Thank you for your service Beman, and tenacity on getting Filesystem
into the standard.

Niall

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 7:20 AM Beman Dawes via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old...

More people have been to outer space than have gotten their libraries
into Boost. Thanks for creating this wonderfully exclusive club which
I am now a part of!

Regards

On 22/09/2018 07:19, Beman Dawes via Boost wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!
>
> --Beman

Thank you very much Beman, you inspire young developers like me.

Thanks for #include <filesystem> that's marvellous.

--
daminetreg - Damien Buhl
Software Developer

On 22/09/2018 16:19, Beman Dawes via Boost wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

Thank you Beman. We will miss your great technical contributions and
your help and talent to make Boost a great project.

Best wishes,

Ion

El 22/09/2018 a las 16:19, Beman Dawes via Boost escribió:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.

Thank you sou much Beman for creating the most amazing C++ project ever
and for all
the hard work you've put into it along the years.

All the best,

Joaquín M López Muñoz

On 9/22/18 07:19, Beman Dawes via Boost wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!
>
> --Beman

Thank you for your dedication to building a better language and a
community. It has been a pleasure working with you. Thank you for your
insights and guidance.

I wish for you all the best.
Take care -
michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Re: Twenty years and time to retire

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018, 17:20 Beman Dawes via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
>
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!
>
> --Beman

Thank you Beman for all your work on Boost. Boost is my favourite "book" on
C++. It does not have much pictures, but the content is perfect :) I've
grown up on it's stories and keep getting fun with each new accepted
library. Many thanks!

Separate huge thanks for the std::filesystem!

On September 22, 2018 10:19:49 AM EDT, Beman Dawes via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal
> document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998.
> That makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older.
> It is high time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to
> contribute for some time now.

Thanks for your enormous contribution to Boost and C++. It was my pleasure to have worked alongside you along the way.

--
Rob

(Sent from my portable computation device.)