Trac

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr
system is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to
new issues - be of course leave it available for reference.

Robert Ramey


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 30 July 2018 at 17:19, Robert Ramey via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?

+1

> I propose we close the trac system to new issues -
> be of course leave it available for reference.

+1

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list

> On 30. Jul 2018, at 17:19, Robert Ramey via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr system is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to new issues - be of course leave it available for reference.
>
> Robert Ramey

+2 also from me. Supporting two systems is a maintenance burden and confusing for people who want to contribute.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Boost [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Mateusz Loskot via Boost
> Sent: 30 July 2018 17:41
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: Mateusz Loskot
> Subject: Re: [boost] Trac
>
> On 30 July 2018 at 17:19, Robert Ramey via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?
>
> +1
>
> > I propose we close the trac system to new issues -
> > be of course leave it available for reference.
>
> +1


+1 to closed for new issues - but preferably allow continued write for existing open issues,
and keeping read access for all issues (so that links to issues in release notes still work).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830





_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 2018-07-31 04:42 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:
> +1 to closed for new issues - but preferably allow continued write for existing open issues,
> and keeping read access for all issues (so that links to issues in release notes still work).

Keeping the trac instance accessible "for the record" is certainly fine.
But I'd keep it read-only, to encourage everyone to migrate to github.
It's trivial to migrate open issues. Or do we want to wait another ten
years before concluding the migration ?
The same argument holds for the wiki, by the way: I suggest we make the
trac wiki read-only, so whenever someone wants to add or change info, it
should be seen as an invitation to migrate. A few years ago I have
started to migrate a few pages to github. But as long as the trac wiki
isn't read-only, this migration will never conclude...


Stefan

--

       ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...
     


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 31 July 2018 at 11:17, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-07-31 04:42 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:
>>
>> +1 to closed for new issues - but preferably allow continued write for
>> existing open issues,
>> and keeping read access for all issues (so that links to issues in release
>> notes still work).
>
>
> Keeping the trac instance accessible "for the record" is certainly fine. But
> I'd keep it read-only, to encourage everyone to migrate to github.
> It's trivial to migrate open issues.

Do you mean Trac to GitHub migration, automated or manual?

BTW, for GIL specifically, this should not be necessary as I'm in the middle
of overhaul reviewing and closing *all* GIL issues dangling on Trac
- to be completed once 1.68 release is out.

> The same argument holds for the wiki, by the way: I suggest we make the trac
> wiki read-only, so whenever someone wants to add or change info, it should
> be seen as an invitation to migrate.

+1

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list


On 2018-07-31 05:31 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> On 31 July 2018 at 11:17, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2018-07-31 04:42 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:
>>> +1 to closed for new issues - but preferably allow continued write for
>>> existing open issues,
>>> and keeping read access for all issues (so that links to issues in release
>>> notes still work).
>>
>> Keeping the trac instance accessible "for the record" is certainly fine. But
>> I'd keep it read-only, to encourage everyone to migrate to github.
>> It's trivial to migrate open issues.
> Do you mean Trac to GitHub migration, automated or manual?

Manual.

Stefan

--

       ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...
     


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?

What is "Trac?"

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 31 July 2018 at 15:29, Vinnie Falco via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?
>
> What is "Trac?"

It is issues tracker, wiki and source browser integrated with SVN
that Boost used to use, https://svn.boost.org/trac10/

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 7/31/18 6:29 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?
>
> What is "Trac?"

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL

I rest my case.

Robert Ramey
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
>


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 7/30/18 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr
> system is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to
> new issues - be of course leave it available for reference.

OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially for
Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD could
lean on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see what
they can do!

Robert Ramey


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list


On 31/07/2018 16:24, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> On 7/30/18 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
>> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr
>> system is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system
>> to new issues - be of course leave it available for reference.
>
> OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially
> for Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD
> could lean on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see
> what they can do!
>

Well.... I have admin access, but don't really know what I'm doing!

I think it might be read only now for all except the admins.  Maybe
someone can try it and see?

John.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 19:19 John Maddock via Boost, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
>
> On 31/07/2018 16:24, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> > On 7/30/18 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> >> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr
> >> system is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system
> >> to new issues - be of course leave it available for reference.
> >
> > OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially
> > for Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD
> > could lean on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see
> > what they can do!
> >
>
> Well.... I have admin access, but don't really know what I'm doing!
>
> I think it might be read only now for all except the admins.  Maybe
> someone can try it and see?
>

AFAICT, issues and wiki is read-only now.
It seems to be possible though to delete wiki pages.

Mateusz Loskot, [hidden email]
(Sent from mobile)

>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list

>> I think it might be read only now for all except the admins.  Maybe
>> someone can try it and see?
>>
> AFAICT, issues and wiki is read-only now.
> It seems to be possible though to delete wiki pages.

Ah, now removed.

I've also reinstated the ability for authenticated users to modify
tickets: so you can redirect to github and close them or whatever.

Can you please check this doesn't let you create new tickets? Admins
still can, but I'm not sure which option is enabling that :/

John.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr system is
> much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to new issues - be
> of course leave it available for reference.

If you do that, please don't forget to enable issues on *all* github
projects, including algorithm, graph, etc.

--
Marc Glisse

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 21:09 John Maddock via Boost, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
> >> I think it might be read only now for all except the admins.  Maybe
> >> someone can try it and see?
> >>
> > AFAICT, issues and wiki is read-only now.
> > It seems to be possible though to delete wiki pages.
>
> Ah, now removed.
>

Yes, it is not possible to edit, delete wiki pages anymore.

I've also reinstated the ability for authenticated users to modify
> tickets: so you can redirect to github and close them or whatever.
>

Yes, authenticated users now can modify tickets.


Can you please check this doesn't let you create new tickets?


AFAICT, neither anonymous nor authenticated users can create new tickets.


Mateusz Loskot, [hidden email]
(Sent from mobile)

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/30/18 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
>>
>> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr system
>> is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to new issues -
>> be of course leave it available for reference.
>
>
> OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially for
> Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD could lean
> on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see what they can
> do!

While I agree about Trac, is it really right to declare consensus
after just two days?


--
Olaf

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list

>>
>> OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially for
>> Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD could lean
>> on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see what they can
>> do!
> While I agree about Trac, is it really right to declare consensus
> after just two days?

To be fair, probably not.  On the other hand this issue keeps coming
round and nothing ever gets done....

I'm happy to re-enable Trac if I've been over hasty, John.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 1 August 2018 at 14:48, John Maddock via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially for
>>> Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD could
>>> lean
>>> on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see what they can
>>> do!
>>
>> While I agree about Trac, is it really right to declare consensus
>> after just two days?
>
>
> To be fair, probably not.  On the other hand this issue keeps coming round
> and nothing ever gets done....

Wasn't agreement to migrate to GitHub enough...

> I'm happy to re-enable Trac if I've been over hasty, John.

Please, let's not do this. Let's kill Trac and get over it,
and please let's not roll out a new never-ending thread.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trac

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 7/31/18 11:54 PM, Olaf van der Spek via Boost wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/30/18 8:19 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
>>>
>>> Could we agree to stop using the Trac system?  The github issues/pr system
>>> is much more functional.  I propose we close the trac system to new issues -
>>> be of course leave it available for reference.
>>
>>
>> OK - looks like we have a pretty strong consensus here - especially for
>> Boost.  I don't know what has to be done. I presume that the BOD could lean
>> on those who have the power to make this happen.  Let's see what they can
>> do!
>
> While I agree about Trac, is it really right to declare consensus
> after just two days?

A good point.  In the future, lets have a short "simmer down" period
before implementing even obvious ideas.  It won't cost anything and will
give more people to note "surprises"

Robert Ramey
>
>



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
12