Toolset version for Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3

Toolset version for Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3

Boost - Users mailing list
What version should I pass to b2 --toolset=msvc-x.y for "Visual Studio
2017 15.6.3"?

[1] says [2] will have an up-to-date list with an answer, but [2] is
not up-to-date.

Thank you,

Chris

[1] https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_65_1/more/getting_started/windows.html#identify-your-toolset

[2] https://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/reference/tools.html

Re: Toolset version for Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3

Boost - Users mailing list
On 7 April 2018 at 22:17, Chris Stankevitz via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
What version should I pass to b2 --toolset=msvc-x.y for "Visual Studio
2017 15.6.3"?

 I use the following project-config.jam file:
====================================

import option ;

using msvc : : :

  <cxxflags>-DBOOST_NO_ANSI_APIS
  <cxxflags>-DBOOST_USE_WINAPI_VERSION=0x0A00
  <cxxflags>-DBOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H=1
  <cxxflags>-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0A00

  <cxxflags>-D_MT
  <cxxflags>-D_WIN32
  <cxxflags>-DNOMINMAX
  <cxxflags>-DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
;

option.set keep-going : false ;

====================================

The above compiles Boost for use on Win10 (See [1] and [2]), without specifically specifying the VS version.

You could replace the line using msvc : : :  with using msvc : version : : . This should be the VS version number (i.e. currently something with 15 (latest is 15.6.5)), so I guess 15.6 should do here (i.e.: using msvc : 15.6 : : ), but I'm not sure you can ignore the second 5 (in this case), maybe someone else can confirm or correct.

degski

Re: Toolset version for Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:45 AM, degski via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What version should I pass to b2 --toolset=msvc-x.y for "Visual Studio
>> 2017 15.6.3"?
>
> so I guess 15.6 should do here

degski,

This is incorrect.  The version passed to the "toolset" when using
"Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3" is 14.1.

Here is the procedure I used to figure it out:

1. Read [1] which said to look at [2]
2. Read [2] but it is not up-to-date
3. Go to Costco and buy a new computer.  Install only one compiler on
it: "Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3"
4. Compile boost using b2 but do not specify a toolset
5. Look at which toolset was used: "msvc-14.1".  Don't ask me now MSVC
15.6.3 has a toolkit version of 14.1.

Please feel free to update [2] with these instructions.

Chris

[1] https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_65_1/more/getting_started/windows.html#identify-your-toolset

[2] https://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/reference/tools.html

Re: Toolset version for Visual Studio 2017 15.6.3

Boost - Users mailing list
Visual Studio version is not equal to the version of the C++ toolchain. Probably hasn't been since VC6.

Confusing as hell, but the way it is.

Regards,
Nate

On 10/04/2018 13:06, Nathan Ernst wrote:
> Visual Studio version is not equal to the version of the C++ toolchain.
> Probably hasn't been since VC6.
>
> Confusing as hell, but the way it is.

There's a nice compact list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B#Internal_version_numbering

Boost usually collectively refers to all of VS2017 as 14.1 (although
there was a period early in its life when it was called 14.10, which
might have made more sense given the way they're numbering them now --
but it was Microsoft themselves that changed that).

Unless you install multiple instances of VS2017 side-by-side (in which
case you'll have to help B2 out a bit) it usually doesn't really matter.

You can see the MSVC versions that B2 knows about by looking at the very
bottom of
https://github.com/boostorg/build/blob/develop/src/tools/msvc.jam.  I
suspect there's a command line option to print this out as well but I
haven't looked very hard.