Quantcast

[Thread] What is the meaning of BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB?

[Thread] What is the meaning of BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB?

I always use boost as static libraries. For a long time, I have been
used to define macro BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB on windows when
cross-compiling from linux to windows with mingw.

I have now made a new cross-compiler conformant with pthread (the
previous one had only win32 api) but then boost does not build (with
threadapi=posix). It seems that not defining BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB
helps.

I do not remember why I used to define BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB a long
time ago and cannot find any help in the doc
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/doc/html/thread/build.html).

What is the meaning of BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB?

Frédéric

Re: [Thread] What is the meaning of BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Le 09/05/2017 à 15:47, Frédéric Bron via Boost a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I always use boost as static libraries. For a long time, I have been
> used to define macro BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB on windows when
> cross-compiling from linux to windows with mingw.
>
> I have now made a new cross-compiler conformant with pthread (the
> previous one had only win32 api) but then boost does not build (with
> threadapi=posix). It seems that not defining BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB
> helps.

Please could you report the rrors reported?

> I do not remember why I used to define BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB a long
> time ago and cannot find any help in the doc
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/doc/html/thread/build.html).
>
> What is the meaning of BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB?

This is a very old flag and I have no idea for what it was used and I agree

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/doc/html/thread/build.html

doesn't explains for what it is used for.

I've the impression that it is not needed anymore, but I don't see how
defining or not it could imply errors.

Best,
Vicente