Thank you !! - Joaquin & all

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thank you !! - Joaquin & all

Aashit Soni-2
Hi Joaquin,

If you remember i had few questions sometime back on multi-index-container. You helped me figure it out. Last week i was able to squeeze 70%- 80% more performance with the new implementation of my storage classes, with the help of hash_index and ordered_index.

This is tremendous result and i owe it to you. !!! Thank you very much for such wonderful data-structure. I appreciate all your help, that you have extended.

This is first performance result, which is like a tip of an iceberg. I have still more rounds of scenerios to test upon. But this kind of results is really encouraging and i am sure now i will able to take it up forward.

I am worried with the licensing issues and support provided for the boost library. If anyone can point me out in that direction.

Once again thanks to Joagin and all on the list.

regards,
aashit




_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thank you !! - Joaquin & all

me22
On 3/20/06, Aashit Soni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I am worried with the licensing issues and support provided for the boost
> library. If anyone can point me out in that direction.
>

Licensing issues: http://boost.org/more/license_info.html
Roughly, do whatever you want with the source provided you don't sue
the person that wrote it or remove the copyright/license notices from
the source files.

As for support, there's the mailing lists and http://www.boost-consulting.com/ :
"Boost Consulting is dedicated to support and development services for
the Boost libraries and associated tools. The Boost libraries, a
peer-reviewed, open collaborative development effort, have become well
known as a superior enabling technology for serious software
development.
"Boost Consulting offers the services of top-notch professional
software engineers and domain experts to deliver the power of advanced
C++ into the hands of programmers-in-the-trenches, through library
development, delivery, support, and training. "

~ SWMc
_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with installing Boost VC++ 2005

Harry Georgakopoulos
In reply to this post by Aashit Soni-2
Greetings,

I have reviewed a lot of forums out there and nothing seems to answer my
problem.
It seems that I have some kind of link error but i cannot understand the
location.

This is what I did in detail:

Downloaded the Platform SDK to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2
Added C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\bin
to the "Executable Files" under Options|Project and Solution|VC++
Directories
Did the same for the "Include Files" and the "Library Files"
...( I believe the installation of the SDK is fine since i was able to
compile a windows program by following the directions outlined here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx)


For Boost...

1. Downloaded boost_1_33_1 to C:/boost_1_33_1
2. Obtained bjam.exe and copied this file into C:/boost_1_33_1
3. Modified the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat file to contain the following

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@SET VSINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8
@SET VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC
@SET FrameworkDir=C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
@SET FrameworkVersion=v2.0.50727
@SET FrameworkSDKDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0
@if "%VSINSTALLDIR%"=="" goto error_no_VSINSTALLDIR
@if "%VCINSTALLDIR%"=="" goto error_no_VCINSTALLDIR

@echo Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 x86 tools.

@rem
@rem Root of Visual Studio IDE installed files.
@rem
@set DevEnvDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE

@set PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/PlatformSDK/Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual Studio
8\SDK\v2.0\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCPackages;%PATH%
@set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/PlatformSDK/Include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\INCLUDE;%INCLUDE%
@set LIB=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/PlatformSDK/Lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\lib;%LIB%
@set LIBPATH=C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

@goto end

:error_no_VSINSTALLDIR
@echo ERROR: VSINSTALLDIR variable is not set.
@goto end

:error_no_VCINSTALLDIR
@echo ERROR: VCINSTALLDIR variable is not set.
@goto end

:end
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. I even created a new directory as recommended by the boost documentation
for VC++ express
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK
In here i copied the Bin, Library and Include folders from C:/boost_1_33_1

5. Navigated to the Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt and typed the
following
>chdir C:\boost_1_33_1
C:\boost_1_33_1> bjam.exe "-sVC80_ROOT=C:\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC"
-sTOOLS=vc-8_0 install
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Part of the errors I get are the following:

e-link-static\threading-multi\file_description.obj
The system cannot find the path specified
The system cannot find the path specified

CALL "C:\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.BAT" > nul
Ob0 /ENsc /GR /MTd /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t
-I"bin\boost\libs\iostreams\build: - I"C:\boost_1_33_1" -I"C:\boost_1_33_1"
-Fo"bin\boost\libs\iostreams\build\libboost_iostreams.lib\vc-8_0\debug\runtime-link-static\threading-multi\file_descriptor.obj"
-Tp"C:\boost_1_33_1\
libs\iostreams\build\..\src\file_descriptor.cpp"

...failed vc-C++
bin\boost\libs\iostreams\build\libboost_iostreams.lib\vc-8_0\debug\runtime-link-static\threading-multi\file_descriptor.obj...
vc-C++
bin\boost\libs\iostreams\build\libboost_iostreams.lib\vc-8_0\debug\runitme-link-static\threading-multi\mapped_file.obj
The system cannot find the path specified
The system cannot find the path specified
.
.
.
.
This goes on for a while. (same type of error)
------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hg.


_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with installing Boost VC++ 2005

Bronek Kozicki
Harry Georgakopoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Added C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
> R2\bin to the "Executable Files" under Options|Project and
> Solution|VC++ Directories

bjam has no access to Visual Studio IDE settings. You have to customize
environment variables or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat batch file instead.

> 3. Modified the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat file to contain the following

> @set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8/VC/PlatformSDK/Include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\INCLUDE;%INCLUDE%

are these paths correct on your system? Why do you use slash/ instead of
backslash\ ?

> @set LIB=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8/VC/PlatformSDK/Lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\lib;%LIB%

(see above)

http://www.boost.org/ > click on "Getting Started" (maybe we should make
this link little more visible than others?) > on Getting Started page
find your toolset name "vc-8_0" and at the bottom of the page you will
find full instruction of using Platform SDK with boost


B.

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with installing Boost VC++ 2005

Harry Georgakopoulos
Thank you for the clarification.
Yes, the / vs. \ did make the difference.

It seems to be working well now.
Still getting the warnings but no failures.

Harry.


>From: "Bronek Kozicki" <[hidden email]>
>Reply-To: [hidden email]
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem with installing Boost VC++ 2005
>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:21:32 -0000
>
>Harry Georgakopoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Added C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
> > R2\bin to the "Executable Files" under Options|Project and
> > Solution|VC++ Directories
>
>bjam has no access to Visual Studio IDE settings. You have to customize
>environment variables or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
>8\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat batch file instead.
>
> > 3. Modified the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat file to contain the following
>
> > @set INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8/VC/PlatformSDK/Include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8\VC\INCLUDE;%INCLUDE%
>
>are these paths correct on your system? Why do you use slash/ instead of
>backslash\ ?
>
> > @set LIB=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8/VC/PlatformSDK/Lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\lib;%LIB%
>
>(see above)
>
>http://www.boost.org/ > click on "Getting Started" (maybe we should make
>this link little more visible than others?) > on Getting Started page
>find your toolset name "vc-8_0" and at the bottom of the page you will
>find full instruction of using Platform SDK with boost
>
>
>B.
>
>_______________________________________________
>Boost-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users


_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thank you !! - Joaquin & all

Joaquin M LópezMuñoz
In reply to this post by Aashit Soni-2
Aashit Soni ha escrito:
Hi Joaquin,

If you remember i had few questions sometime back on multi-index-container. You helped me figure it out. Last week i was able to squeeze 70%- 80% more performance with the new implementation of my storage classes, with the help of hash_index and ordered_index.

This is tremendous result and i owe it to you. !!! Thank you very much for such wonderful data-structure. I appreciate all your help, that you have extended.

This is first performance result, which is like a tip of an iceberg. I have still more rounds of scenerios to test upon. But this kind of results is really encouraging and i am sure now i will able to take it up forward.

Hello Aashit, thank you very much for your warm compliments. I hope you'll
continue to add more Boost libraries to your programming arsenal.
 
I am worried with the licensing issues and support provided for the boost library. If anyone can point me out in that direction.


As for this, Scott pretty much says it all in his previous post: licensing is free and
as permissive as it can possibly be, and support is provided informally
through the lists or under contract with external companies, Boost Consulting being
the most prominent --to be precise, the only one I know in this particular business.
See http://boost.org/more/background.html if you haven't already done so.

Best regards,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo
 

 

Once again thanks to Joagin and all on the list.

regards,
aashit
 
 
 


_______________________________________________ Boost-users mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users