Tests are a mess

123

Tests are a mess

Gennaro Prota-2
Few questions:

* BGD-Ubuntu is among tested platforms for release, but not for trunk. How is a
poor fellow supposed to test on trunk first?

* Same as above for BGD-Windows, with the fellow getting poorer and poorer

* Are RW_WinXP_VC and RW_WinXP_VCrtl the same?

* Can anyone please have a look at the trunk failures for HP-UX_ia64_aCC? For a
bunch of libraries I've looked at it gives an

   Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<..."

What's that? Compiler bug, misconfiguration, phase of the moon?

Sorry, but if this is the status quo I'm just going to merge to branches/release
and be done with it.

--
Genny

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Gennaro Prota <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<..."

This is my fault thanks for spotting it. I'm looking into it right now.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Richard Webb
Gennaro Prota <gennaro.prota <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> * Are RW_WinXP_VC and RW_WinXP_VCrtl the same?

The 'RW_WinXP_VCrtl' tests are run in release mode (as opposed to debug like all
the others).
The 'RW_WinXP_VC' results arent actually there any more.

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Emil Dotchevski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Gennaro Prota <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<..."
>
> This is my fault thanks for spotting it. I'm looking into it right now.

This is a weird link error, but the "missing" destructor is inline.

It seems to be a build problem specific to the HP-UX_ia64_aCC test
site. The relevant change was introduced in revision 48634. This
revision has been tested, and has not caused any problems, on any
other test sites.

I'm noticing that the HP-UX_ia64_aCC test is incremental. I have seen
similar failures before which were "fixed" by a non-incremental build.

Rather than panicking, I suggest trying a non-incremental build for a
single failing test, to verify this theory, and if it works out,
investigating why the error occurred in the first place.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Gennaro Prota-2
Richard Webb wrote:
> Gennaro Prota <gennaro.prota <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> * Are RW_WinXP_VC and RW_WinXP_VCrtl the same?
>>

> The 'RW_WinXP_VCrtl' tests are run in release mode (as opposed to debug like all
> the others).

Nice to know. That must have been a top secret piece of information before this
post.

> The 'RW_WinXP_VC' results arent actually there any more.

"There" where? They are in the release report and not in the trunk one. So
that's another case where we can't test on trunk first. Nice.

--
Genny

Re: Tests are a mess

Gennaro Prota-2
Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Emil Dotchevski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Gennaro Prota <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>  Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<..."
>> This is my fault thanks for spotting it. I'm looking into it right now.
>
> This is a weird link error, but the "missing" destructor is inline.

It's also the destructor of a class that should have nothing to do with
dynamic_bitset (but who knows... it might be used by something used by something
used by something else; the joys of Boost coupling)

> It seems to be a build problem specific to the HP-UX_ia64_aCC test
> site. The relevant change was introduced in revision 48634. This
> revision has been tested, and has not caused any problems, on any
> other test sites.
>
> I'm noticing that the HP-UX_ia64_aCC test is incremental. I have seen
> similar failures before which were "fixed" by a non-incremental build.
>
> Rather than panicking, I suggest trying a non-incremental build

Are you suggesting that to me? If I had a HP-UX_ia64_aCC I wouldn't even bother
looking at the test reports.

--
Genny

Re: Tests are a mess

Gubenko, Boris
Gennaro Prota wrote:
> Are you suggesting that to me? If I had a HP-UX_ia64_aCC I
> wouldn't even bother
> looking at the test reports.

At Emil's request, I've started a full test. Just FYI.

-boris

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> Are you suggesting that to me? If I had a HP-UX_ia64_aCC I
>> wouldn't even bother
>> looking at the test reports.
>
> At Emil's request, I've started a full test. Just FYI.

Thanks Boris!

Furiously clicking the refresh button in firefox now... :)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Gubenko, Boris
The tests are still running now, but there are

ld: Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<boost::exception_detail::error_info_container>::~refcount_ptr()(complete)"

error messages in bjam.log.

Boris

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The tests are still running now, but there are
>
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr<boost::exception_detail::error_info_container>::~refcount_ptr()(complete)"

Yep, I see it.

Any ideas what might be causing this link error? I'm completely
puzzled because the "missing" destructor (of
boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr) is right there, inline in the
same file (boost/exception/exception.hpp) with class boost::exception,
which is the only user of refcount_ptr...

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Gubenko, Boris
Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> Any ideas what might be causing this link error?

No idea. I'll investigate and get back to you.

Thanks,
  Boris

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> Any ideas what might be causing this link error?
>
> No idea. I'll investigate and get back to you.

Boris,

Thanks for looking into this!

Here is some more info that you might find helpful:

The refcount_ptr class template is just that, a simple reference
counting pointer. The only instance of the template is found on line
229 in boost/exception/exception.hpp:

refcount_ptr<exception_detail::error_info_container> data_;

which is a member of boost::exception. The error_info_container type
is abstract and it is defined in the same header file.

There are friends of boost::exception that refer to data_, in
exception/get_error_info.hpp, exception/info.hpp, and
exception/diagnostic_information.hpp.

The only thing that calls ~refcount_ptr() is the destructor of class
boost::exception, which is pure virtual.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> Any ideas what might be causing this link error?
>
> No idea. I'll investigate and get back to you.

Boris,

Peter Dimov advises me that the problem could go away if the
boost::exception::~exception() destructor from exception/exception.hpp
is not pure virtual. Could you please apply the attached patch and try
to run a single test, perhaps the get_deleter_test.cpp from the
smartptr test suite?

If this fixes it, then I can do a workaround for this particular platform.

Thanks,

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

workaround.patch (824 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Tests are a mess

Gubenko, Boris
Emil,

I'll do it shortly. Thanks for the patch!

Boris

with the patch, get_deleter_test links cleanly and succeeds:

bash-2.03$ aCC -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 +d -g -I.. ../libs/smart_ptr/test/get_deleter_test.cpp +DD64 \
> && a.out
No errors detected.
bash-2.03$

I think, you can apply the patch. If you want to make it aC++ - specific, you can conditionalize it based on __HP_aCC macro.

Thanks for looking at this!

-boris

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Emil,
>
> with the patch, get_deleter_test links cleanly and succeeds:

Boris,

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this issue. Also thanks to Peter
Dimov for suggesting the workaround.

Revision 48690 should take care of it. It appears to be a bug in the
compiler, it seems to incorrectly assume that the
boost::exception_detail::refcount_ptr destructor is not needed if the
destructor of the containing class, boost::exception, is pure virtual,
which later triggers a link error.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Gubenko, Boris
Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> It appears to be a bug in the compiler

It is possible. I've filed CR QXCR1000850520 for this issue.

Thanks for looking into this and a workaround!

-boris

Johan Nilsson-4
Emil Dotchevski wrote:

>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Gubenko, Boris
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> No idea. I'll investigate and get back to you.
>>
>> Boris,
>>
>> Peter Dimov advises me that the problem could go away if the
>> boost::exception::~exception() destructor from
>> exception/exception.hpp
>> is not pure virtual.

[snip]

I believe I've seen something similar. I think you can work around this by
providing an inlined, empty, body for the pure virtual dtor. Just make sure
that this no-op dtor is defined _outside_ the class declaration, e.g.:

struct foo
{
virtual ~foo() = 0;
};

inline
foo::~foo()
{}

Apologies if this is not applicable to your problem; I haven't read through
all of the posts.

/ Johan

Re: Tests are a mess

Emil Dotchevski-2
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Johan Nilsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> struct foo
> {
> virtual ~foo() = 0;
> };
>
> inline
> foo::~foo()
> {}

Yes, that's what I was doing. Regardless, that particular compiler
seems to erroneously discard the inline destructor definition, and
then the linker complains that it's missing.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.

Re: Tests are a mess

Gennaro Prota-2
Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Johan Nilsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> struct foo
>> {
>> virtual ~foo() = 0;
>> };
>>
>> inline
>> foo::~foo()
>> {}
>
> Yes, that's what I was doing. Regardless, that particular compiler
> seems to erroneously discard the inline destructor definition, and
> then the linker complains that it's missing.

Out of curiosity --as I really don't intend to waste one more minute on it-- is
Test.Minimal using all this loathsomeness?

--
Genny

123