Testing using VS2019 Preview version

Boost - Build mailing list
I have both Visual Studio 2019 and the latest Visual Studio 2019 Preview
version installed in separate locations. I have no problem testing a
Boost library using VS2019 with the normal msvc-14.2, simply be having
in my user-config.jam:

using msvc : 14.2 : : <cxxflags>"/Zc:__cplusplus" ;

Is there any easy way I can test with the VS2019 Preview version ? I
would even be willing to temporarily replace my user-config.jam entry
above with something else which would find and use my Preview version
instead of the normal regular version of VS 2019 if necessary. I can
always change it back to test the normal VS2019 when necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Testing using VS2019 Preview version

Boost - Build mailing list
On 1/23/2020 3:27 AM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:

> I have both Visual Studio 2019 and the latest Visual Studio 2019 Preview
> version installed in separate locations. I have no problem testing a
> Boost library using VS2019 with the normal msvc-14.2, simply be having
> in my user-config.jam:
>
> using msvc : 14.2 : : <cxxflags>"/Zc:__cplusplus" ;
>
> Is there any easy way I can test with the VS2019 Preview version ? I
> would even be willing to temporarily replace my user-config.jam entry
> above with something else which would find and use my Preview version
> instead of the normal regular version of VS 2019 if necessary. I can
> always change it back to test the normal VS2019 when necessary.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I was able to figure out how to use the Visual Studio 2019 Preview
release in Boost Build although I could not figure out a way to use both
the Visual Studio 2019 release and the Visual Studio 2019 Preview
release at the same time. My solution was to add another toolset entry
for msvc-14.2 which has, in addition to my previous entry above, options
for <setup-amd64> and <setup-i386> which point respectively to the
vcvars64.bat and vcvars32.bat for the Preview release, and also adding
the option <rewrite-setup-scripts>always. I then commented out my
original toolset line for msvc-14.2 above and Boost Build successfully
used the Preview release. Of course I have to manually switch between my
original msvc-14.2 toolset and my new Preview release msvc-14.2 toolset
by commenting out or uncommenting out one or the other, but since both
are msvc-14.2 I do not see how both can coexist in my user-config.jam. I
had to also add to my original msvc-14.2 toolset line above the
<rewrite-setup-scripts>always option to force each msvc-14.2 toolset
which I use to use its own setup script. I do not think there is a way
to use both of them together, so if anybody knows of a way to do that I
would love to hear about it.

Re: Testing using VS2019 Preview version

Boost - Build mailing list
Not sure specifically about msvc 14.2.. But generally you should be able to do something like:

using mxvc : 14.2~release : c:/path/to/release/cl.exe ;
using msvc : 14.2~preview : c?path/to/preview/cl.exe ;

Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Edward Diener via Boost-build <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/23/2020 3:27 AM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
> I have both Visual Studio 2019 and the latest Visual Studio 2019 Preview
> version installed in separate locations. I have no problem testing a
> Boost library using VS2019 with the normal msvc-14.2, simply be having
> in my user-config.jam:
>
> using msvc : 14.2 : : <cxxflags>"/Zc:__cplusplus" ;
>
> Is there any easy way I can test with the VS2019 Preview version ? I
> would even be willing to temporarily replace my user-config.jam entry
> above with something else which would find and use my Preview version
> instead of the normal regular version of VS 2019 if necessary. I can
> always change it back to test the normal VS2019 when necessary.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I was able to figure out how to use the Visual Studio 2019 Preview
release in Boost Build although I could not figure out a way to use both
the Visual Studio 2019 release and the Visual Studio 2019 Preview
release at the same time. My solution was to add another toolset entry
for msvc-14.2 which has, in addition to my previous entry above, options
for <setup-amd64> and <setup-i386> which point respectively to the
vcvars64.bat and vcvars32.bat for the Preview release, and also adding
the option <rewrite-setup-scripts>always. I then commented out my
original toolset line for msvc-14.2 above and Boost Build successfully
used the Preview release. Of course I have to manually switch between my
original msvc-14.2 toolset and my new Preview release msvc-14.2 toolset
by commenting out or uncommenting out one or the other, but since both
are msvc-14.2 I do not see how both can coexist in my user-config.jam. I
had to also add to my original msvc-14.2 toolset line above the
<rewrite-setup-scripts>always option to force each msvc-14.2 toolset
which I use to use its own setup script. I do not think there is a way
to use both of them together, so if anybody knows of a way to do that I
would love to hear about it.

-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On 1/23/2020 2:16 PM, Rene Rivera via Boost-build wrote:
> Not sure specifically about msvc 14.2.. But generally you should be able
> to do something like:
>
> using mxvc : 14.2~release : c:/path/to/release/cl.exe ;
> using msvc : 14.2~preview : c?path/to/preview/cl.exe ;
>
> Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

I did not specifically try that, but I can. Somehow I think that the
particular setup for each different version will not be found by just
specifying a different path for each cl.exe, although I can certainly
add-on the version number changes you are suggestion to what I already
have which I know does work when I specify each one separately. I was
also worried about problems extracting the version number from the
extended name with the '~', or any other non-number, separating the two
parts of the version specification. I know the msvc.jam does use the
version number to "make" things work.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Rene Rivera via Boost-build <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure specifically about msvc 14.2.. But generally you should be able to do something like:

using mxvc : 14.2~release : c:/path/to/release/cl.exe ;
using msvc : 14.2~preview : c?path/to/preview/cl.exe ;

Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

Just for clarity in the archive, I'm guessing that `x` of `mxvc` in the first line was a typo and it should be:

using msvc : 14.2~release : c:/path/to/release/cl.exe ;
using msvc : 14.2~preview : c?path/to/preview/cl.exe ;

right?

Tom