Testing

Boost - Testing mailing list
I have a jamfile script in my testing directory which runs all the tests
for the safe numerics library.  So far so good.

The library only works with compilers which support C++14 and later.  Fine.

But what happens when the boost testing matrix is generated.  In this
case I have no control over which version of C++ is to be used.  So I
would expect all failures for this compilers which are not supporting
C++14 or above.  I'm thinking that is not the result we would want. What
do I have to do to be sure that compilers which do not support C++14 or
above are skipped?

Robert Ramey

Re: Testing

Boost - Testing mailing list
AMDG

On 09/12/2018 09:03 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost-Testing wrote:

> I have a jamfile script in my testing directory which runs all the tests
> for the safe numerics library.  So far so good.
>
> The library only works with compilers which support C++14 and later.  Fine.
>
> But what happens when the boost testing matrix is generated.  In this
> case I have no control over which version of C++ is to be used.  So I
> would expect all failures for this compilers which are not supporting
> C++14 or above.  I'm thinking that is not the result we would want. What
> do I have to do to be sure that compilers which do not support C++14 or
> above are skipped?

Add [ config.requires /some list of required C++14 features/ ]
to the project requirements.  See
https://www.boost.org/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/build_config.html

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: Testing

Boost - Testing mailing list
On 9/12/18 8:26 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-Testing wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 09/12/2018 09:03 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost-Testing wrote:
>> I have a jamfile script in my testing directory which runs all the tests
>> for the safe numerics library.  So far so good.
>>
>> The library only works with compilers which support C++14 and later.  Fine.
>>
>> But what happens when the boost testing matrix is generated.  In this
>> case I have no control over which version of C++ is to be used.  So I
>> would expect all failures for this compilers which are not supporting
>> C++14 or above.  I'm thinking that is not the result we would want. What
>> do I have to do to be sure that compilers which do not support C++14 or
>> above are skipped?
>>

> Add [ config.requires /some list of required C++14 features/ ]
> to the project requirements.  See
> https://www.boost.org/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/build_config.html

This looks what I do now for certain specific tests.  OK.  But seems
cumbersome to add this to all the tests.  Is there a convenient way to
specify that the whole test suite is to be skipped for compilers which
don't support some specific feature?  It seems to me that this is
essential if libraries are going to differ as to what level of C++
compliance they offer.

At one time I remember skipping the whole compiler by fiddling with
something on the test web page.  I forgot how to do this.  In any case,
it would require knowing ahead of time which compilers are to be skipped.

> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Re: Testing

Boost - Testing mailing list
AMDG

On 09/12/2018 10:30 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost-Testing wrote:

> On 9/12/18 8:26 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-Testing wrote:
>> On 09/12/2018 09:03 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost-Testing wrote:
>>> <snip> What
>>> do I have to do to be sure that compilers which do not support C++14 or
>>> above are skipped?
>>>

>> Add [ config.requires /some list of required C++14 features/ ]
>> to the project requirements.  See
>> https://www.boost.org/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/build_config.html
>
> This looks what I do now for certain specific tests.  OK.  But seems
> cumbersome to add this to all the tests.  Is there a convenient way to
> specify that the whole test suite is to be skipped for compilers which
> don't support some specific feature?

# Automatically add requirements to every target
# in the Jamfile.
project : requirements [ config.requires ... ] ;

>  It seems to me that this is
> essential if libraries are going to differ as to what level of C++
> compliance they offer.
>
> At one time I remember skipping the whole compiler by fiddling with
> something on the test web page.  I forgot how to do this.  In any case,
> it would require knowing ahead of time which compilers are to be skipped.

It's explicit-failures-markup.xml.  This doesn't
skip the tests, it just hides the results and
is a lot more cumbersome.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: Testing

Boost - Testing mailing list
Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 9/12/18 8:26 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-Testing wrote:
> > Add [ config.requires /some list of required C++14 features/ ] to the
> > project requirements.  See
> > https://www.boost.org/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/build_config.html
>
> This looks what I do now for certain specific tests.  OK.  But seems
> cumbersome to add this to all the tests.  Is there a convenient way to
> specify that the whole test suite is to be skipped for compilers which
> don't support some specific feature?

Yes, put it in the project requirements, as in
https://github.com/boostorg/mp11/blob/a79e6d0240a74138e399243cceca854bc2238293/test/Jamfile#L12