Tagged layout discrepancies on CentOS in 1.66.0

Tagged layout discrepancies on CentOS in 1.66.0

Boost - Build mailing list
The description of the "tagged" layout option for building Boost says
this:  "Names of boost binaries include the encoded build properties
such as variant and threading, but do not including compiler name and
version, or Boost version."

However, I noticed that when I build Boost 1.66.0 on CentOS with
"--layout=tagged", the address model does not get included in the
library names, and the shared library names end with ".so.1.66.0".
According to the above, the address model should be included as with
"--layout=versioned", and the library names should end with ".so" (no
version).

BTW, thank you for including the address model in the library names --
that is a big improvement!

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Tagged layout discrepancies on CentOS in 1.66.0

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/05/2018 07:24 AM, Ian Emmons via Boost-build wrote:
> The description of the "tagged" layout option for building Boost says
> this:  "Names of boost binaries include the encoded build properties
> such as variant and threading, but do not including compiler name and
> version, or Boost version."

  Right.  The tagged layout should probably be
made consistent with versioned.

> However, I noticed that when I build Boost 1.66.0 on CentOS with
> "--layout=tagged", the address model does not get included in the
> library names, and the shared library names end with ".so.1.66.0".
> According to the above, the address model should be included as with
> "--layout=versioned", and the library names should end with ".so" (no
> version).

  The goal of --layout=system is that -lboost_xxx should
work.  The version suffix is (in theory) only added when
the linker knows how to handle it.

> BTW, thank you for including the address model in the library names --
> that is a big improvement!

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe