Status of boost::make_shared_array

Olaf van der Spek-3
Hi,

What's the status of boost::make_shared_array?
I've seen some discussion from 2009, but it's almost 2012 now and it
doesn't appear to be available.

Greetings,

Olaf

Re: Status of boost::make_shared_array

Olaf van der Spek-3
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the status of boost::make_shared_array?
> I've seen some discussion from 2009, but it's almost 2012 now and it
> doesn't appear to be available.

Somebody?

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's the status of boost::make_shared_array?
>> I've seen some discussion from 2009, but it's almost 2012 now and it
>> doesn't appear to be available.
>
> Somebody?

Peter?

Re: Status of boost::make_shared_array

Peter Dimov-5
Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What's the status of boost::make_shared_array?
> >> I've seen some discussion from 2009, but it's almost 2012 now and it
> >> doesn't appear to be available.
> >
> > Somebody?
>
> Peter?

I don't have the time now to implement make_shared_array, sorry.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Peter Dimov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Somebody?
>>
>> Peter?
>
> I don't have the time now to implement make_shared_array, sorry.

Can I help in any way?

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Peter?
>>
>> I don't have the time now to implement make_shared_array, sorry.
>
> Can I help in any way?

Peter?

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I don't have the time now to implement make_shared_array, sorry.
>>
>> Can I help in any way?
>
> Peter?

Why are you not answering peter?

Olaf van der Spek wrote:

>>> I don't have the time now to implement make_shared_array, sorry.
>>
>> Can I help in any way?

The only way you can help is by implementing it, I guess. Unfortunately, I
don't think that this can be done, as in make_shared's case,
non-intrusively.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Peter Dimov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Can I help in any way?
>
> The only way you can help is by implementing it, I guess. Unfortunately, I

Do you have time to review and commit patches?

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4637 has been waiting for over a year.

> don't think that this can be done, as in make_shared's case,
> non-intrusively.

Why is that a problem?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Olaf van der Spek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The only way you can help is by implementing it, I guess. Unfortunately, I
>
> Do you have time to review and commit patches?
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4637 has been waiting for over a year.
>
>> don't think that this can be done, as in make_shared's case,
>> non-intrusively.

Peter?

--
Olaf

Re: Status of boost::make_shared_array

Peter Dimov-5
Hi Olaf,

Yes, I can review and apply patches. Regarding #4637, the patch makes the
following assumptions: (1) that an array of size 0 should create a NULL
pointer, which is not what new T[0] does, and (2) that the array should be
value-initialized, which may not be what the majority of the users want.
These design decisions should be discussed here among the scoped_array users
and settling them is a prerequisite for this patch to go in.

Incidentally, you'll need to make these same choices for make_shared_array
as well.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Peter Dimov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> Yes, I can review and apply patches. Regarding #4637, the patch makes the
> following assumptions: (1) that an array of size 0 should create a NULL
> pointer, which is not what new T[0] does, and (2) that the array should be
> value-initialized, which may not be what the majority of the users want.

Valid points. Why didn't you raise them in the tracker?

> These design decisions should be discussed here among the scoped_array users
> and settling them is a prerequisite for this patch to go in.
>
> Incidentally, you'll need to make these same choices for make_shared_array
> as well.

I know. I'll start a thread.

Olaf