Status and Development Plan

David Abrahams

[to those I've bcc'd: I hope to carry this discussion forwared on the
Boost.Langbinding list --
http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#langbinding]

Hi Everyone,

As you probably know, the Boost.Langbinding project languished for
several years for lack of funding.  That was up until recently, when
Boost Consulting received several generous offers to fund development.
None of these seemed to be able to cover the project alone, but it
began to look possible that, by soliciting a few more offers and
pooling everything, we might put together enough funding to actually
make this project happen.

Since one can hardly expect sponsors to invest nontrivial amounts of
money in this project without some sense of what they'll get from the
earliest stages of work, Daniel Wallin and I decided to write a
development plan.  Sadly, both of us were totally swamped with other
work and neither of us was able to devote the necessary time to it.

Happily, though, Rene Rivera reminded me at BoostCon that he is one of
the original people interested in implementing Langbinding... so I've
asked Rene to lead the development plan effort (with help from me and
Daniel), and he has graciously agreed.  We expect to have something
solid in the next few weeks.  With any luck, that will provide us with
the necessary foundation to move this project forward.

Regards,
Dave

P.S. please be sensitive to
  http://www.boost.org/more/discussion_policy.htm#unacceptable and,
  even though not specifically prohibited there, keep any business
  discussions off this list.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: Status and Development Plan

John Moeller
David Abrahams wrote:
> Happily, though, Rene Rivera reminded me at BoostCon that he is one of
> the original people interested in implementing Langbinding... so I've
> asked Rene to lead the development plan effort (with help from me and
> Daniel), and he has graciously agreed.  We expect to have something
> solid in the next few weeks.  With any luck, that will provide us with
> the necessary foundation to move this project forward.

Rene:

I'd love to help out in any way I can, though I'm new to langbinding and
to boost development in general.  Let me know if there's anything at all
that I can do.

--

John Moeller

Re: Status and Development Plan

Roman Yakovenko
On 6/9/07, John Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
> > Happily, though, Rene Rivera reminded me at BoostCon that he is one of
> > the original people interested in implementing Langbinding... so I've
> > asked Rene to lead the development plan effort (with help from me and
> > Daniel), and he has graciously agreed.  We expect to have something
> > solid in the next few weeks.  With any luck, that will provide us with
> > the necessary foundation to move this project forward.
>
> Rene:
>
> I'd love to help out in any way I can, though I'm new to langbinding and
> to boost development in general.  Let me know if there's anything at all
> that I can do.

I second that. I can help on "code generation side". I'll be glad to
tweak Py++ to generate lang-binding code.

--
Roman Yakovenko
C++ Python language binding

on Sat Jun 09 2007, "Roman Yakovenko" <roman.yakovenko-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/9/07, John Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>> > Happily, though, Rene Rivera reminded me at BoostCon that he is one of
>> > the original people interested in implementing Langbinding... so I've
>> > asked Rene to lead the development plan effort (with help from me and
>> > Daniel), and he has graciously agreed.  We expect to have something
>> > solid in the next few weeks.  With any luck, that will provide us with
>> > the necessary foundation to move this project forward.
>>
>> Rene:
>>
>> I'd love to help out in any way I can, though I'm new to langbinding and
>> to boost development in general.  Let me know if there's anything at all
>> that I can do.
>
> I second that. I can help on "code generation side". I'll be glad to
> tweak Py++ to generate lang-binding code.

I was hoping you'd say that :)