Seeking comments on some Custom SVG Admonition Icons

Seeking comments on some Custom SVG Admonition Icons

peter foley-2
All,

Looking around it appears that the Tango Icon set appears to provide the
best open source SVG icons that I can find (or at least like).

Since I could not find anything else I decided to see if I could somehow
fool myself into thinking I had some creativity.  To that effect I found
some tutorials and leveraged some of the existing icons from the Tango
project to come up with some other options for us to look at.

Currently my thoughts on some custom icons include:
* Note Admonition - Use a blue background
* Tip Admonition - Use a black background

I have sent a separate email seeking advice on what people think the
colours and order of precedence should be for the Important, Caution and
Warning icons.

To see some icons that I put together look at
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SvgIconsSetProject I am open to all
constructive feedback.

I want to keep some forward momentum and aim to have some options so we
can look at voting on a set to use.

Thanks,

Peter.

Re: Seeking comments on some Custom SVG Admonition Icons

John Maddock
Peter Foley wrote:

> All,
>
> Looking around it appears that the Tango Icon set appears to provide
> the
> best open source SVG icons that I can find (or at least like).
>
> Since I could not find anything else I decided to see if I could
> somehow
> fool myself into thinking I had some creativity.  To that effect I
> found
> some tutorials and leveraged some of the existing icons from the Tango
> project to come up with some other options for us to look at.
>
> Currently my thoughts on some custom icons include:
> * Note Admonition - Use a blue background
> * Tip Admonition - Use a black background
>
> I have sent a separate email seeking advice on what people think the
> colours and order of precedence should be for the Important, Caution
> and
> Warning icons.
>
> To see some icons that I put together look at
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SvgIconsSetProject I am open to
> all
> constructive feedback.

OK, I like the navigation icons lots.

For Note I much prefer custom set 2 to the others, except I'm having second
thoughts: to me "Note" is not really "useful information" which is what the
blue "i" implies, but something you should really take note of 'cos it's
important.  How are other folks using "Note" ?  (Aside: I really wish
Docbook had an "Information" admonishment, the ones it supports are all too
similar in meaning IMO.)

For Tip I also prefer custom icon 2, although I like the tango version as
well.

I don't much like the custom icon 1 set at all I'm afraid :-)

HTH, John.

Re: Seeking comments on some Custom SVG AdmonitionIcons

pabristow

I like custom icon 2 note (I in blue circle)

and custom icon 2 tip (Tango is also OK)

I like your SVG icons and agree the colours should be important yellow, warning orange, caution red.

(Though of course a printed copy in black and white will mean these look very similar/the same)

(What happens in pdfs?)

I think we need some definitions of what these mean to guide authors and readers.

How about?

Note - generally useful information (an aside that doesn't fit in the flow of the text).  (blue i)

Tip - suggestion on how to do something (especially something that not be obvious). (light bulb - lit!)

Important - (note) on something to take particular notice of. (yellow triangle)

Warning - take special care with this - it may not be what you expect and have bad results. (orange triangle)

Caution - 'skull and crossbones' - this is likely to cause serious trouble if ignored. (red road sign triangle)

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS

Re: Seeking comments on some Custom SVG AdmonitionIcons

Jake Voytko
Personally, I think that "warning" is stronger than "caution", and would flip the signs that Paul proposed. To me, "caution" means that ignoring the admonition could lead to unexpected results. "Warning" means that failure to follow the admonition will not only lead to unexpected results, but that the results could also be harmful.

The real world examples: "Caution, wet floor" is a common-place sign that is commonly ignored, but still offers good advice. Warning labels on products offer advice meant to spare life, limb, and health.

That's just a suggestion. I won't press the issue :). I'd rather have a set of icons than a disagreement.

Peter- I really like the style of the second set of icons! Keep up the good work.

Jake

On 7/18/07, Paul A Bristow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I have added some more custom icons (Custom Icon Set 3 to 6) for the
admonitions.  Take a look and please provide comments.

I am still trying to find the right colour and glossiness.  I will also
try to do some concept icons for black and white.

Thanks,

Peter.