Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
I was hoping to start running regression tests for the upcoming Visual Studio 2019 (toolset 14.2) and got stumped by an issue.

I've set a user-config.jam:

using msvc : 14.2 ;

using python
: 2.7 # version
: C:\\Python27-32\\python.exe # Interperter/path to dir
: C:\\Python27-32\\include # includes
: C:\\Python27-32\\libs # libs
: <address-model>32 <address-model> # conditions
;

using python
: 2.7 # version
: C:\\Python27-64\\python.exe # Interperter/path to dir
: C:\\Python27-64\\include # includes
: C:\\Python27-64\\libs # libs
: <address-model>64 # conditions
;


Then I ran the command, from a vs2019 developer command prompt:

D:\tmp>C:\Python27-64\python.exe run.py --runner=teeks99-test02 --toolsets=msvc-14.2 --tag=develop

The full build output (minus some repetitive git and mklink commands) can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/teeks99/2d72382bf13569855dbdcd2e0850c1cf

A couple notable parts...

Bootstrap says it is using the vc7 toolset, which isn't installed
D:\tmp\boost_bb\src\engine>build.bat
could not find "vswhere"
###
### Using 'vc7' toolset.
###
but succeeds anyway, probably because cl.exe is available in the path in the vs2019 command prompt.  B2.exe is successfully created and seems to work.

During...
notice: [python-cfg] Configuring python...
[snip]
ImportError: No module named numpy
but that is normal.


Finally, at the end...the real issue:


...skipped <p..\..\bin\testing\build\msvc-14.2\release\threading-multi>process_jam_log.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <p..\..\bin\common\build\msvc-14.2\release\threading-multi>process_jam_log.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static"

common.mkdir D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi

        if not exist "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi\\" mkdir "D:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi"

...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>codecvt_error_category.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>operations.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>path.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>path_traits.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>portability.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>unique_path.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>utf8_codecvt_facet.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>windows_file_codecvt.obj for lack of <p..\..\bin\standalone\msvc\msvc-14.2>msvc-setup.nup...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>libboost_filesystem-vc142-mt-1_70.lib for lack of <pD:\tmp\boost_root\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-14.2\release\link-static\threading-multi>codecvt_error_category.obj...
...skipped <p..\..\bin\testing\build\msvc-14.2\release\threading-multi>process_jam_log.exe for lack of <p..\..\bin\testing\build\msvc-14.2\release\threading-multi>process_jam_log.obj...
...skipped <pD:\tmp\boost_regression\stage\bin>process_jam_log.exe for lack of <p..\..\bin\testing\build\msvc-14.2\release\threading-multi>process_jam_log.exe...
...skipped 14 targets...
...updated 599 targets...
# Searching for "process_jam_log.exe" in "D:\tmp\boost_regression\stage\bin"...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "run.py", line 71, in <module>
    runner(root)
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 286, in __init__
    self.main()
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 623, in main
    getattr(self,action_m)()
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 580, in command_regression
    self.command_setup()
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 351, in command_setup
    self.build_if_needed(self.process_jam_log,self.pjl_toolset)
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 714, in build_if_needed
    tool[ 'build_path' ] = self.tool_path( tool )
  File "D:\tmp\boost_regression_src\regression.py", line 739, in tool_path
    , '\n'.join( [ name_or_spec[ 'path' ], build_dir ] )
Exception: Cannot find "process_jam_log.exe" in any of the following locations:
D:\tmp\boost_regression\stage\bin\process_jam_log.exe
D:\tmp\boost_regression\stage\bin


What is the msvc-setup.nup and where does it come from?

Thanks,
Tom

_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 14:02, Tom Kent via Boost-Testing
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was hoping to start running regression tests for the upcoming Visual Studio 2019 (toolset 14.2) and got stumped by an issue.
> I've set a user-config.jam:
> using msvc : 14.2 ;

Is this toolset even supported?

As I explained in https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2019/02/245143.php,
I had to 'fake' it as 14.1 in project-config.jam:

using msvc : 14.1 : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\2019\\Preview\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.20.27323\\bin\\HostX64\\x64\\cl.exe"

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Testing mailing list
AMDG

On 2/26/19 5:55 AM, Tom Kent via Boost-Testing wrote:
>
> <snip>
> What is the msvc-setup.nup and where does it come from?
>

It's an internal NOTFILE target related to msvc-setup.bat.
It exists to prevent changes to msvc-setup.bat from
causing a global rebuild.  The error implies that writing
the setup script failed.  The actual error most likely
got redirected to configure.log.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe
_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Testing mailing list

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 7:13 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost-Testing <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 14:02, Tom Kent via Boost-Testing
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was hoping to start running regression tests for the upcoming Visual Studio 2019 (toolset 14.2) and got stumped by an issue.
> I've set a user-config.jam:
> using msvc : 14.2 ;

Is this toolset even supported?

As I explained in https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2019/02/245143.php,
I had to 'fake' it as 14.1 in project-config.jam:

using msvc : 14.1 : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\2019\\Preview\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.20.27323\\bin\\HostX64\\x64\\cl.exe"

I was able to get the regression tests to run using this workaround in user-config.jam. 

Here's what the config_info is:

I'm disappointed that we can't have general support for future versions of msvc. We don't seem to have this problem with pre-release versions of GCC/Clang. 


Tom

_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:34 AM Tom Kent via Boost-Testing <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm disappointed that we can't have general support for future versions of msvc. We don't seem to have this problem with pre-release versions of GCC/Clang. 

As far as B2 is concerned it would be as easy as using the compiler reported version for the B2 toolset version. But that would probably mean breaking everyones build files. Which I'm fine with, but I can see others might not be. In all of this it doesn't help that msvc versions are so horribly muddled.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- Robot Dreams - http://robot-dreams.net


_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Testing mailing list
Success!!! 


I'm getting successful builds on develop :-)

C:\Python27-32\python.exe run.py --runner=teeks99-msvc142rc --toolset=msvc-14.2 --bjam-options="-j4 address-model=64" --tag=develop

user-config.jam
using msvc : 14.2 ;

using python
: 2.7 # version
: C:\\Python27-32\\python.exe # Interperter/path to dir
: C:\\Python27-32\\include # includes
: C:\\Python27-32\\libs # libs
: <address-model>32 <address-model> # conditions
;

using python
: 2.7 # version
: C:\\Python27-64\\python.exe # Interperter/path to dir
: C:\\Python27-64\\include # includes
: C:\\Python27-64\\libs # libs
: <address-model>64 # conditions
;



Now we need to get the tests to all cycle, then merge to master? Can this make 1.70?



On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:39 PM Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:34 AM Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 7:13 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost-Testing <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 14:02, Tom Kent via Boost-Testing
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was hoping to start running regression tests for the upcoming Visual Studio 2019 (toolset 14.2) and got stumped by an issue.
> I've set a user-config.jam:
> using msvc : 14.2 ;

Is this toolset even supported?

As I explained in https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2019/02/245143.php,
I had to 'fake' it as 14.1 in project-config.jam:

using msvc : 14.1 : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual
Studio\\2019\\Preview\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.20.27323\\bin\\HostX64\\x64\\cl.exe"

I was able to get the regression tests to run using this workaround in user-config.jam. 

Here's what the config_info is:

I'm disappointed that we can't have general support for future versions of msvc. We don't seem to have this problem with pre-release versions of GCC/Clang. 




_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)

Boost - Testing mailing list
On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 6:33 AM Tom Kent via Boost-Testing <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now we need to get the tests to all cycle, then merge to master? Can this make 1.70?

There's plenty of time for build changes to make it to 1.70. It might not make the beta rc though.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- Robot Dreams - http://robot-dreams.net


_______________________________________________
Boost-Testing mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-testing