Removing old branches

Boost - Dev mailing list
I received an issue about Boost PP having lots of old branches which the
issuer would like removed. I notice most other Boost libraries also have
lots of old branches. Is there any policy about removing these old
branches from a Boost library repository ? Many of these old branches
are svn-branches, but most of them do not have any value any more and,
of course, do not affect the current 'develop' or 'master' branch.

Re: Removing old branches

Boost - Dev mailing list
Am 15.11.19 um 11:56 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:
> I received an issue about Boost PP having lots of old branches which
> the issuer would like removed. I notice most other Boost libraries
> also have lots of old branches. Is there any policy about removing
> these old branches from a Boost library repository ? Many of these old
> branches are svn-branches, but most of them do not have any value any
> more and, of course, do not affect the current 'develop' or 'master'
> branch.

It was me requesting this. See e.g.
https://github.com/boostorg/preprocessor/branches/stale for about 70
stale branches. According to GitHub all(or at least most) of them are
merged into master/develop as indicated by e.g. "1 commit ahead, 275
commits behind develop" where the "1 commit" is "This commit was
manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'SPIRIT_1_6'."

I don't see any value in those branches, as they look like feature
branches from SVN times that are already merged and hence obsolete.
Every Fork will have them too which makes switching to new feature
branches when developing cumbersome.

IMO one can delete all branches saying "1 commit ahead, *" where the
latest commit is from "nobody" without further checking. The remaining
ones might need a check if they actually contain new stuff.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Removing old branches

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11/15/2019 7:32 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:

> Am 15.11.19 um 11:56 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:
>> I received an issue about Boost PP having lots of old branches which
>> the issuer would like removed. I notice most other Boost libraries
>> also have lots of old branches. Is there any policy about removing
>> these old branches from a Boost library repository ? Many of these old
>> branches are svn-branches, but most of them do not have any value any
>> more and, of course, do not affect the current 'develop' or 'master'
>> branch.
>
> It was me requesting this. See e.g.
> https://github.com/boostorg/preprocessor/branches/stale for about 70
> stale branches. According to GitHub all(or at least most) of them are
> merged into master/develop as indicated by e.g. "1 commit ahead, 275
> commits behind develop" where the "1 commit" is "This commit was
> manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'SPIRIT_1_6'."
>
> I don't see any value in those branches, as they look like feature
> branches from SVN times that are already merged and hence obsolete.
> Every Fork will have them too which makes switching to new feature
> branches when developing cumbersome.
>
> IMO one can delete all branches saying "1 commit ahead, *" where the
> latest commit is from "nobody" without further checking. The remaining
> ones might need a check if they actually contain new stuff.

I was just pointing out that Boost PP is hardly the only Boost library
which has lots of stale branches. If it is not against Boost policy to
delete old, stale branches I will be glad to do so, but I was just
looking for some clarification from other Boost developers first.

Re: Removing old branches

Boost - Dev mailing list
Private reply intentionally:

Completely understood your intention. Just wanted to give some
background on the type of branches in question so decision makers have
it easier.

Am 15.11.19 um 13:49 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:

> On 11/15/2019 7:32 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:
>> Am 15.11.19 um 11:56 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:
>>> I received an issue about Boost PP having lots of old branches which
>>> the issuer would like removed. I notice most other Boost libraries
>>> also have lots of old branches. Is there any policy about removing
>>> these old branches from a Boost library repository ? Many of these
>>> old branches are svn-branches, but most of them do not have any
>>> value any more and, of course, do not affect the current 'develop'
>>> or 'master' branch.
>>
>> It was me requesting this. See e.g.
>> https://github.com/boostorg/preprocessor/branches/stale for about 70
>> stale branches. According to GitHub all(or at least most) of them are
>> merged into master/develop as indicated by e.g. "1 commit ahead, 275
>> commits behind develop" where the "1 commit" is "This commit was
>> manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'SPIRIT_1_6'."
>>
>> I don't see any value in those branches, as they look like feature
>> branches from SVN times that are already merged and hence obsolete.
>> Every Fork will have them too which makes switching to new feature
>> branches when developing cumbersome.
>>
>> IMO one can delete all branches saying "1 commit ahead, *" where the
>> latest commit is from "nobody" without further checking. The
>> remaining ones might need a check if they actually contain new stuff.
>
> I was just pointing out that Boost PP is hardly the only Boost library
> which has lots of stale branches. If it is not against Boost policy to
> delete old, stale branches I will be glad to do so, but I was just
> looking for some clarification from other Boost developers first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander Grund
Interdisziplinäre Anwendungsunterstützung und Koordination (IAK)

Technische Universität Dresden
Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen (ZIH)
Würzburger Str.35/Chemnitzer Str.50, Raum 010 01062 Dresden
Tel.: +49 (351) 463-35982
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Edward Diener wrote:
> I was just pointing out that Boost PP is hardly the only Boost library
> which has lots of stale branches. If it is not against Boost policy to
> delete old, stale branches I will be glad to do so, but I was just
> looking for some clarification from other Boost developers first.

It is not against any policy. A maintainer is free to delete old
branches. Only develop and master need to be around.

Glen

Re: Removing old branches

On 2019-11-15 15:49, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 11/15/2019 7:32 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:
>> Am 15.11.19 um 11:56 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:
>>> I received an issue about Boost PP having lots of old branches which
>>> the issuer would like removed. I notice most other Boost libraries
>>> also have lots of old branches. Is there any policy about removing
>>> these old branches from a Boost library repository ? Many of these
>>> old branches are svn-branches, but most of them do not have any value
>>> any more and, of course, do not affect the current 'develop' or
>>> 'master' branch.
>>
>> It was me requesting this. See e.g.
>> https://github.com/boostorg/preprocessor/branches/stale for about 70
>> stale branches. According to GitHub all(or at least most) of them are
>> merged into master/develop as indicated by e.g. "1 commit ahead, 275
>> commits behind develop" where the "1 commit" is "This commit was
>> manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'SPIRIT_1_6'."
>>
>> I don't see any value in those branches, as they look like feature
>> branches from SVN times that are already merged and hence obsolete.
>> Every Fork will have them too which makes switching to new feature
>> branches when developing cumbersome.
>>
>> IMO one can delete all branches saying "1 commit ahead, *" where the
>> latest commit is from "nobody" without further checking. The remaining
>> ones might need a check if they actually contain new stuff.
>
> I was just pointing out that Boost PP is hardly the only Boost library
> which has lots of stale branches. If it is not against Boost policy to
> delete old, stale branches I will be glad to do so, but I was just
> looking for some clarification from other Boost developers first.

I believe, beyond master and develop, your usage of branches is
completely at your (project members') discretion. There's no Boost-wide
policy.

Re: Removing old branches

Boost - Dev mailing list
>> I was just pointing out that Boost PP is hardly the only Boost library
>> which has lots of stale branches. If it is not against Boost policy to
>> delete old, stale branches I will be glad to do so, but I was just
>> looking for some clarification from other Boost developers first.
>
> I believe, beyond master and develop, your usage of branches is
> completely at your (project members') discretion. There's no Boost-wide
> policy.

It is surely sensible that fully merged branches be deleted as a matter
of default?

I very rarely keep around fully merged branches, but I do occasionally
do so mainly to retain a waypoint reference.

Niall

Re: Removing old branches

On 11/15/2019 7:51 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:
> Private reply intentionally:
>
> Completely understood your intention. Just wanted to give some
> background on the type of branches in question so decision makers have
> it easier.

I removed all the stale branches in Boost PP.