Release notes piling up

Boost - Dev mailing list
There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?

https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls

- Jim

Re: Release notes piling up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM, James E. King III via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?

Typically the first person to bring up the subject on the mailing list
becomes responsible for merging all the individual pull requests into
one new pull request with the conflicts resolved.

:) :) :)

Re: Release notes piling up

On 4 July 2018 at 19:14, James E. King III via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls

Handling conflicts and merging is a simple task.
I think, it's more of an issue there are no reviews from reviewers
with write access that would confirm acceptance of the PRs
and can "count towards mergeability".

The release notes are easy to approve really.

But, for instance this one, even if it seems to be based on extensive
discussion on the list, still not clear if it is generally approved or not
https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/300
Should there be voting or at least PSC action taken?

Re: Release notes piling up

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM Vinnie Falco via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM, James E. King III via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
> > merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>
> Typically the first person to bring up the subject on the mailing list
> becomes responsible for merging all the individual pull requests into
> one new pull request with the conflicts resolved.
>
> :) :) :)

I don't have appropriate privileges to boostorg/website to merge anything,
so it won't happen that way.  So sad.

- Jim

Re: Release notes piling up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM, James E. King III <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have appropriate privileges to boostorg/website to merge anything,
> so it won't happen that way.  So sad.

I was half-joking, but you don't need privileges to retrieve the
branches locally, merge them into a new local branch, push the local
branch to your remote fork (GitHub), and then submit the branch on the
remote fork as a pull request. The miracle of Git!

Pro Tip:

If you follow the directions here to modify the remote in your local
repository which points to any upstream repo, you can "fetch" all the
open pull requests at once with "git fetch":

<https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247>

Regards

Re: Release notes piling up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 07/04/18 21:37, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM, James E. King III <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't have appropriate privileges to boostorg/website to merge anything,
>> so it won't happen that way.  So sad.
> I was half-joking, but you don't need privileges to retrieve the
> branches locally, merge them into a new local branch, push the local
> branch to your remote fork (GitHub), and then submit the branch on the
> remote fork as a pull request. The miracle of Git!

While I appreciate the work to resolve conflicts by "merging" multiple
PRs into one, it still feels odd to suggest to inject another task into
the pipeline. Wouldn't it be simpler if someone *with* commit privileges
would take on the task to do the merging at once ? (And yes, if no-one
who already has such privileges is willing or has time to do this, I'd
sign up for the job.)

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Release notes piling up

On 07/04/18 18:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> On 4 July 2018 at 19:14, James E. King III via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
>> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls
> Handling conflicts and merging is a simple task.
> I think, it's more of an issue there are no reviews from reviewers
> with write access that would confirm acceptance of the PRs
> and can "count towards mergeability".

What "reviews" do we expect for release notes ? Don't we trust that
library authors know best what release notes they want to submit ? (I'm
of course assuming that submitted release notes are signed off by
library authors / maintainers.)
> The release notes are easy to approve really.

I wouldn't expect the review to be the issue, but merely the
(mechanical) work of merging these PRs (including resolving conflicts,
should they happen).
> But, for instance this one, even if it seems to be based on extensive
> discussion on the list, still not clear if it is generally approved or not
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/300
> Should there be voting or at least PSC action taken?

That one isn't a release note, so I wouldn't even count in this context.

(In my dream world, release notes would be collected per library, and
the Boost website would only aggregate or syndicate them, so we wouldn't
even have to have this discussion...)

Stefan

Re: Release notes piling up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5 July 2018 at 04:08, Stefan Seefeld via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/04/18 18:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
>> On 4 July 2018 at 19:14, James E. King III via Boost
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
>>> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls
>> Handling conflicts and merging is a simple task.
>> I think, it's more of an issue there are no reviews from reviewers
>> with write access that would confirm acceptance of the PRs
>> and can "count towards mergeability".
>
> What "reviews" do we expect for release notes ?

James' post starts with

"There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation"

That is all the open PRs currently, and I noticed at least one which
is not a release notes PR.

> Don't we trust that library authors know best what release notes they want to submit ?

I'm sure we do.

>> But, for instance this one, even if it seems to be based on extensive
>> discussion on the list, still not clear if it is generally approved or not
>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/300
>> Should there be voting or at least PSC action taken?
>
> That one isn't a release note, so I wouldn't even count in this context.

Yes, and above I explained why I refered to it.

> (In my dream world, release notes would be collected per library, and
> the Boost website would only aggregate or syndicate them, so we wouldn't
> even have to have this discussion...)

It was actually surprising to find out that's not the case.

Re: Release notes piling up

On 07/04/18 20:14, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls

PRs for 1.68 release notes are accumulating again...