Release notes for 1.50

Daniel James-3
Hello everyone,

It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk

Note that from now on, that this is on the live site, not the beta
site. If you don't know quickbook syntax, don't worry, I'll clean it
up before regenerating the page. You can see the html output at:

http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_50_0.html

It isn't automatically updated, so you'll only see your changes when I
update it.

But if that's too much for you, you can email me and I'll sort it out.
It's probably better for you if do it yourself, as there's always the
chance that an email will slip through the cracks, and it will be
easier for you to fix typos and link errors later on.

Also, please don't link to changesets in the history, if you don't
have something to link to, just create a ticket, accept it and close
it with a message like: "Fixed in trunk in [1234]. fixed in release in
[5678]". It's also a good idea to add a more detailed change log to
your library's documentation and link to that.

There are a few outstanding things to do, which I should sort out
before posting this, but this is at shorter notice than normal. I'll
deal with them in the next day or two, so please have a little
patience.

thanks,

Daniel

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Vicente Botet
Le 23/05/12 12:24, Daniel James a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk
>
> Note that from now on, that this is on the live site, not the beta
> site. If you don't know quickbook syntax, don't worry, I'll clean it
> up before regenerating the page. You can see the html output at:
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_50_0.html
>
> It isn't automatically updated, so you'll only see your changes when I
> update it.
>
> But if that's too much for you, you can email me and I'll sort it out.
> It's probably better for you if do it yourself, as there's always the
> chance that an email will slip through the cracks, and it will be
> easier for you to fix typos and link errors later on.

Hi,

Please could you add the following for Chrono, Ratio and Thread libraries?

Thanks,
Vicente

* [phrase library..[@/libs/chrono/index.html Chrono]:]

   * Fixed Bugs:

     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6361 #6361] integer
overflow in boost::chrono::process_real_cpu_clock::now() under Windows
32bits.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6628 #6628] compiler
warning in process_cpu_clocks.hpp.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6666 #6666]
thread_clock.hpp needs pthread.h.

* [phrase library..[@/libs/ratio/index.html Ratio]:]

   * Fixed Bugs:

     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6498 #6498] boost::ratio won't compile with default settings.

* [phrase library..[@/libs/thread/index.html Thread]:]

   * New Features:

     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1850 #1850] Request for unlock_guard  to compliment lock_guard.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2637 #2637] Request for shared_mutex duration timed_lock and timed_lock_shared.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2741 #2741] Proposal to manage portable and non portable thread attributes.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3567 #3567] Request for shared_lock_guard.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6194 #6194] Adapt to Boost.Move.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6195 #6195] c++11 compliance: Provide the standard time related interface using Boost.Chrono.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6217 #6217] Enhance Boost.Thread shared mutex interface following Howard Hinnant proposal.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6224 #6224] c++11 compliance: Add the use of standard noexcept on compilers supporting them.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6226 #6226] c++11 compliance: Add explicit bool conversion from locks.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6228 #6228] Add promise constructor with allocator following the standard c++11.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6230 #6230] c++11 compliance: Follows the exception reporting mechanism as defined in the c++11.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6266 #6266] Breaking change: thread destructor should call terminate if joinable.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6269 #6269] Breaking change: thread move assignment should call terminate if joinable.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6272 #6272] c++11 compliance: Add thread::id hash specialization.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6273 #6273] c++11 compliance: Add cv_status enum class and use it on the conditions wait functions.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6231 #6231] Add BasicLockable requirements in the documentation to follow c++11.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6342 #6342] c++11 compliance: Adapt the one_flag to the c++11 interface.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6671 #6671] upgrade_lock: missing mutex and release functions.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6672 #6672] upgrade_lock:: missing constructors from time related types.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6675 #6675] upgrade_lock:: missing non-member swap.
     * Added missing packaged_task::result_type and packaged_task:: constructor with allocator.
     * Added packaged_task::reset()

   * Fixed Bugs:

     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2575 #2575] Bug- Boost 1.36.0 on Itanium platform.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4345 #4345] thread::id and joining problem with cascade of threads.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4921 #4921] BOOST_THREAD_USE_DLL and BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB are crucial and need to be documented.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5013 #5013] documentation: boost::thread: pthreas_exit causes terminate().
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5173 #5173] boost::this_thread::get_id is very slow.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5351 #5351] interrupt a future get boost::unknown_exception.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5516 #5516] Upgrade lock is not acquired when previous upgrade lock releases if another read lock is present.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5990 #5990] shared_future<T>::get() has wrong return type.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6174 #6174] packaged_task doesn't correctly handle moving results.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6222 #6222] Compile error with SunStudio: unique_future move.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6673 #6673] shared_lock: move assign doesn't works with c++11.
     * [@http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6674 #6674] shared_mutex: try_lock_upgrade_until doesn't works.
     * Fix issue signaled on the ML with task_object(task_object const&) in presence of task_object(task_object&&)

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Eric Niebler-3
On 5/23/2012 3:24 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk
<snip>

Daniel, I've updated the release notes for my library. I also realized
that I had neglected to add release notes for the 1.49 release, so I
went ahead and added them to boost_1_49_0.qbk. Is there anything you can
do to get these onto the website?

Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Daniel James-3
On 23 May 2012 20:35, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel, I've updated the release notes for my library. I also realized
> that I had neglected to add release notes for the 1.49 release, so I
> went ahead and added them to boost_1_49_0.qbk. Is there anything you can
> do to get these onto the website?

They're up now. We used to try to avoid changing the release notes
after they'd gone live because it caused a lot of noise in people's
rss feeds. But that's less of a problem since I added link and guid
elements to feed items.

Re: Release notes for 1.50

lcaminiti
Daniel James-3 wrote
Hello everyone,

It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk
I've committed release notes for ScopeExit (new features), LocalFunciton (new library), Functional/OverloadedFunction (new library), Utility/IdentityTtpe (new library).

I did not generate the HTML so please fix my QuickBook entries in case there's any error (but they should be OK).

[...]

Thanks.
--Lorenzo

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Vladimir Prus
On 23/05/12 14:24, Daniel James wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk
>
> Note that from now on, that this is on the live site, not the beta
> site. If you don't know quickbook syntax, don't worry, I'll clean it
> up before regenerating the page. You can see the html output at:

If release notes are in the live site now, should not the beta site checkout contain
a prominent warning to that effect? And maybe the new process of adding release notes
documented?

- Volodya

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Michel MORIN
Daniel James wrote:
> It's time to fill in the release notes, they're at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/website/public_html/live/feed/history/boost_1_50_0.qbk

Hi Jeff,

Would you mind adding release notes for Boost.Iterator?
AFAIK, #5127 and #5697 have been fixed for this release.

Regards,
Michel

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Hartmut Kaiser
Daniel,

Please add some text for Wave saying that Wave V2.3.2 will be part of Boost
V1.50. Please refer to the libs/wave/Changelog file in the repository (same
as for the releases before).

Thanks!
Regards Hartmut
---------------
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Daniel James-3
On 28 May 2012 06:15, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If release notes are in the live site now, should not the beta site checkout
> contain
> a prominent warning to that effect?

We don't put any such warning in the development branches, I don't
understand why the website branches should be any different. This is
the second release that I've done this way, in the last release a few
people added their release notes to the beta site, so I just merged
them. I have to check the logs anyway so it isn't a problem. And I
don't think warnings work that well, files with "don't edit this"
warnings still get changed. It's happened a couple of times recently.

> And maybe the new process of adding
> release notes
> documented?

That seems like an odd thing to say now, since the old process was
undocumented for many years. During the last release I started
documenting the website maintenance at:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleasePractices/Website

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Vladimir Prus
On 29/05/12 00:38, Daniel James wrote:

> On 28 May 2012 06:15, Vladimir Prus<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> If release notes are in the live site now, should not the beta site checkout
>> contain
>> a prominent warning to that effect?
>
> We don't put any such warning in the development branches, I don't
> understand why the website branches should be any different. This is
> the second release that I've done this way, in the last release a few
> people added their release notes to the beta site, so I just merged
> them. I have to check the logs anyway so it isn't a problem. And I
> don't think warnings work that well, files with "don't edit this"
> warnings still get changed. It's happened a couple of times recently.
>
>> And maybe the new process of adding
>> release notes
>> documented?
>
> That seems like an odd thing to say now, since the old process was
> undocumented for many years. During the last release I started
> documenting the website maintenance at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleasePractices/Website

I am fairly sure that instructions that say all website changes should first be made to beta, and then
merged to live, existed for years, and release notes were not explicitly excluded from those instructions.

- Volodya

Re: Release notes for 1.50

Daniel James-3
On 30 May 2012 06:45, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/05/12 00:38, Daniel James wrote:
>>
>> On 28 May 2012 06:15, Vladimir Prus<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> And maybe the new process of adding
>>> release notes
>>> documented?
>>
>> That seems like an odd thing to say now, since the old process was
>> undocumented for many years. During the last release I started
>> documenting the website maintenance at:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleasePractices/Website
>
> I am fairly sure that instructions that say all website changes should first
> be made to beta, and then
> merged to live, existed for years, and release notes were not explicitly
> excluded from those instructions.

Then it's out of date. I'll update it but it's not like people pay
much attention to it. It would probably be better to delete that part.
Apart from the release notes, almost all content has been updated
directly on the live site for some time now.