[Regex] extracting with bcp and size

Orhun Birsoy

I was able to extract regex and build it, Thanks for the help for my
previous problem.

But, (there is always a but) the size is huge (well, more than one
expects). I used "bcp boost/regex.hpp C:\Development\3rdParty\Regex" to
extract the regex library. For now, I do not need to build the examples
etc.

The extracted directory contains 1246 Files (8.75 MB), and it looks like
it contains bind, function, iterator, mpl, preprocessor, regex, thread,
type_traits, utility, smart_ptr libraries from boost. (boost/mpl contains
649 files, boost/preprocessor contains 149 files)

Although I used make files to build (VC80), when building regex, it didn't
require the thread library. I wonder whether it is really necessary.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the size of this? Or am I doing
something wrong?

For example when extracting smart_ptr library I commented out the line
that includes <boost/detail/quick_allocator.hpp> in sp_counted_impl.hpp (I
will not use it), so that bcp does not extract the mpl library, which
reduced the extracted file count to 85, from 345.

I wonder whether similar tricks are available for regex as well.

--
Orhun Birsoy

Re: [Regex] extracting with bcp and size

John Maddock
> The extracted directory contains 1246 Files (8.75 MB), and it looks
> like it contains bind, function, iterator, mpl, preprocessor, regex,
> thread, type_traits, utility, smart_ptr libraries from boost.
> (boost/mpl contains 649 files, boost/preprocessor contains 149 files)
>
> Although I used make files to build (VC80), when building regex, it
> didn't require the thread library. I wonder whether it is really
> necessary.

It's used as a fallback when it can't otherwise identify the threading
model, and I suspect that Boost.Thread is responsible for pulling in bind
and function (since I don't use them).

> I wonder whether similar tricks are available for regex as well.

You could comment out the thread lib includes in
boost/regex/pending/static_mutex.hpp and see if that helps.

John.

Re: [Regex] extracting with bcp and size

Orhun Birsoy
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:39:09 -0700, John Maddock <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> The extracted directory contains 1246 Files (8.75 MB), and it looks
>> like it contains bind, function, iterator, mpl, preprocessor, regex,
>> thread, type_traits, utility, smart_ptr libraries from boost.
>> (boost/mpl contains 649 files, boost/preprocessor contains 149 files)
>>
>> Although I used make files to build (VC80), when building regex, it
>> didn't require the thread library. I wonder whether it is really
>> necessary.
>
> It's used as a fallback when it can't otherwise identify the threading
> model, and I suspect that Boost.Thread is responsible for pulling in bind
> and function (since I don't use them).
>
>> I wonder whether similar tricks are available for regex as well.
>
> You could comment out the thread lib includes in
> boost/regex/pending/static_mutex.hpp and see if that helps.
>
> John.

Thank you, I was able to reduce the file count to 358 (3.89MB) be
modifying static_mutex.hpp, and removing icu.hpp, icu.cpp (I do not plan
to use them for now).
Although I was able to build, I have not tried the tests nor examples.

--
Orhun Birsoy