Re: [interprocess] file_mutex class proposal

Re: [interprocess] file_mutex class proposal

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hey, any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Mateusz

> Hello boost::interprocess community,
>
> During my pet projects development I found that a file access
> synchronization is a common problem so, I wrote a class that wraps it and
> thought that it can be useful for wider community. I would like to ask you
> what do you think about such functionality in boost::interprocess? I'm
> aware that class from the repo is not ready to release. Just wanted to show
> about what functionality I'm talking about.
>
> Here you can find the repo: https://github.com/stryku/file_mutex
> You can find there the proposed class and a simple usage example.
>
> If you will find it interesting I will prepare more formal merge proposal,
> update docs, maybe more examples etc.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you what do you think about it.
>
> Thank you,
> Mateusz Janek

Re: [interprocess] file_mutex class proposal

Boost - Dev mailing list
Isn't the signature of boost::interprocess::file_lock already compatible
with std::unique_lock<> etc? Or do i misunderstand something?

On 13 March 2018 at 18:07, mateusz janek via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey, any thoughts on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Mateusz

> > Hello boost::interprocess community,
> >
> > During my pet projects development I found that a file access
> > synchronization is a common problem so, I wrote a class that wraps it and
> > thought that it can be useful for wider community. I would like to ask
> you
> > what do you think about such functionality in boost::interprocess? I'm
> > aware that class from the repo is not ready to release. Just wanted to
> show
> > about what functionality I'm talking about.
> >
> > Here you can find the repo: https://github.com/stryku/file_mutex
> > You can find there the proposed class and a simple usage example.
> >
> > If you will find it interesting I will prepare more formal merge
> proposal,
> > update docs, maybe more examples etc.
> >
> > Looking forward to hearing from you what do you think about it.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Mateusz Janek

Re: [interprocess] file_mutex class proposal

Boost - Dev mailing list
I don't think so. AFAIK you can not lock a file with file_lock and then
write/read to it. file_lock's purpose is not to synchronize access to
passed file. It's more like mutex, but it uses file on disc to synchronize.

Mateusz