Re: [gsoc18]Boost.SafeFloat

Boost - Dev mailing list
I have read the paper "Goldberg, David. "What every computer scientist
should know about floating-point arithmetic." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR)
23.1 (1991): 5-48."and documentation and now having a little understanding
of what this project is about.Presently going through the code and
concepts, please guide me of what changes I have to do in the previous code
to make it better.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM, Damian Vicino <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Rajat,
> For the Boost.SafeFloat project, I suggest you take a look to the
> following links:
> - Repository: https://github.com/sdavtaker/safefloat
> - Documentation: https://sdavtaker.github.io/safefloat/doc/html/index.html
>
> Also, try to read this paper if you didn't before:  Goldberg, David.
> "What every computer scientist should know about floating-point
> arithmetic." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 23.1 (1991): 5-48.
> From the C++ perspective, key concepts you need to know are:
> - Templates (a lot of it)
> - Custom Literals
>
> A good proposal would be to take a read to the documentation and code base
> and describe what is missing to complete the project.
> Best regards,
> Damian Vicino

> :
>
>> Dear boost community,
>> I am a GSOC aspirant and I'd like to contribute to your organization.
>> I have read the project ideas and is interested in working on:-
>> 1)Boost.SafeFloat or
>> 2)Enhancing Boost.Intrusive Library
>> Can I get some more info about how to work on these projects and the basic
>> requirements so that I can learn them and be able to contribute to my
>> fullest.
>>
>> Thank you,

Re: [gsoc18]Boost.SafeFloat

Boost - Dev mailing list
Is there any specific template that I should follow for the proposal or I
can make it my own way?

Thanks,

Rajat Miglani

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 12:43 AM, Damian Vicino <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
> From the top of my head, the big missing pieces are the safefloat
> literals, some pieves of unit testing (copile and runtime), documentation,
> implementing some of the policies that are already defined. Maybe a better
> way to specify policies could be implemented.
> However, the complete list of things being done is what your proposal is
> about, you need to define the milestones and goals for the project.

>> I have read the paper "Goldberg, David. "What every computer scientist
>> should know about floating-point arithmetic." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR)
>> 23.1 (1991): 5-48."and documentation and now having a little
>> understanding of what this project is about.Presently going through the
>> code and concepts, please guide me of what changes I have to do in the
>> previous code to make it better.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM, Damian Vicino <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rajat,
>>> For the Boost.SafeFloat project, I suggest you take a look to the
>>> following links:
>>> - Repository: https://github.com/sdavtaker/safefloat
>>> - Documentation: https://sdavtaker.github.io/safefloat/doc/htm
>>> l/index.html
>>>
>>> Also, try to read this paper if you didn't before:  Goldberg, David.
>>> "What every computer scientist should know about floating-point
>>> arithmetic." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 23.1 (1991): 5-48.
>>> From the C++ perspective, key concepts you need to know are:
>>> - Templates (a lot of it)
>>> - Custom Literals
>>>
>>> A good proposal would be to take a read to the documentation and code
>>> base and describe what is missing to complete the project.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Damian Vicino

Re: [gsoc18]Boost.SafeFloat

The process for applying is explained here:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
Step 4 has a template for the proposal.
Best regards,
Damian