Re: [gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Re: [gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Boost - Users mailing list
On 9/7/17 9:22 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost-users wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
> student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
> After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
> come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
> Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
> David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
> to help David settle in.
>
> My time as Boost Summer of Code admin has certainly been eventful with
> lots of surprises, ups and downs. The fact these surprises did not turn
> into crises is due in large part to a few people in particular who went
> far beyond the call of duty:
>
> * Jon Kalb, who went to bat for the students repeatedly in multiple
> venues and finding tens of thousands of dollars when it was needed.
>
> * Boris Schäling, whom I replaced as lead admin and who acted as backup
> admin for some years, who also managed to arrange tens of thousands of
> dollars of sponsorship when it was needed most.
>
> * Bryce Adelstein Lelbach, for acting as backup admin these past few years.
>
> * Andrew Sutton, the lead GSoC admin before Boris, who gave such
> detailed and useful early advice and materials on how to best navigate
> the treacherous waters of Google Summer of Code!
>
> And finally to all the mentors who so generously volunteered their time,
> and to the students every single one of whom successfully finished their
> projects in my time as admin despite problems with sickness, deaths in
> close family etc. Some of those students have gone on to become
> mainstays of the C++ conference circuit, famous names in their own
> right. I'm sure they would have been so without Google Summer of Code,
> but I'd like to think that it helped bring them to Boost rather than
> them getting into C++ via elsewhere. Thank you students!

I want to thank Niall for his successful efforts in making the Boost
GSOC program a success.  I'm aware that this is not as easy as he made
it look.  Thanks again.  And good luck to his successor.

Robert Ramey

> Regards,
> Niall

Re: [gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Boost - Users mailing list

"Niall Douglas via Boost-users"  wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Dear all,
>
> Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
> student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
> After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
> come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
> Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
> David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
> to help David settle in.

Thank you, Niall, for having run the GSoC program at Boost for many years!
I'm looking forward to meet you in person at Meeting C++ (seems like ages
since we met last time :)!

Boris

On 07/09/2017 18:22, Niall Douglas via Boost-users wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
> student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
> After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
> come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
> Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
> David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
> to help David settle in.

Thanks Niall for all your hard work and best wishes to David!

Ion