Re: [boost] Twenty years and time to retire

Re: [boost] Twenty years and time to retire

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 9:20 AM Beman Dawes via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
<https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
now.

Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!

Thank you! If it wasn't for Boost, and my search for a build system, I wouldn't be involved in the wonderful C++ community. Thank you for doing so much to advance C++!

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM Beman Dawes wrote:
> The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
> <https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
> makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
> time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.
> Thanks to all of you who made Boost such an overwhelming success in the
> past and will drive Boost forward into a bright future!
> --Beman

Thank you Beman for everything you have done for us, for Boost, and
for the C++ programming language.

Glen

Re: [boost] Twenty years and time to retire

Hi Beman,

> That makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is
> high time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
> now.

I do not know you personally but I benefited so much from your
contributions, in particular the filesystem library I adopted a long
time ago. Thanks to you and what you freely shared, I was able to
achieve great things without spending the time to reinvent the wheel.
Thank you also for having been even further in proposing filesystem to
the standard committee. It is an enormous amount of time to submit a
library to boost but I am sure it is even more involving to submit a
library to the standard.

Love from France!

Frédéric

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 7:20 AM Beman Dawes via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
The idea behind Boost was hatched in March, 1998, and the proposal document
<https://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf> was released May 6, 1998. That
makes Boost twenty years old, and makes me twenty years older. It is high
time I retire from Boost; I haven't been able to contribute for some time
now.

Thank you, Beman.
Thank you for your contributions, your vision and your advice.

The C++ world is much richer due to your efforts, but (today) poorer now that you've retired.

-- Marshall