Re: [boost] Missing winerror.h for MSVC-9

Previous Topic Next Topic
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Re: [boost] Missing winerror.h for MSVC-9

Tom Kent

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Andrey Semashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/07/16 06:36, Tom Kent wrote:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Andrey Semashev <[hidden email]>

On 11/16/16 15:17, Andrey Semashev wrote:

On 11/16/16 15:08, Tom Kent wrote:

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I must have missed that message on the

As best I can tell, something is corrupt on the msvc-9.0 install on that
VM. All the other runs on that VM (teeks99-09*) are using the same base
repo to clone off of, so it isn't something in the boost filesystem. If
you're looking for other msvc-9.0 results, see teeks99-08b. It
*should* be
the identical configuration, but appears not to have this problem.

The MSVC-15 issue is known, I believe we are waiting for a build of
B2 in
develop that supports msvc-15.0 - Preview 5.

I just wiped the VM and started with a fresh image, this should be

Thanks, I can see the tests are turning green.

I think, the problem has returned. I'm seeing the same kind of failures on

Hmm, interesting. I had just added the Visual Studio 2017 RC back on to
that machine, apparently that does something to break Visual Studio 2008???
I need to look into this, but now sure when I'll be able to or what I will
be able to find.

So, any progress about this?

Would it be possible to move unreleased compilers to a separate environment?

After further investigating this (sorry it took so long), it doesn't appear to be an issue with the visual studio install, as far as I can tell. 

For those just joining the thread (I've CCed boost-build list), a while back we noticed that my teeks99-02b (msvc-9.0) run was failing nearly every test in the regression matrix (at least those that had any windows.h dependency). At first I had no idea why, so I reloaded the VM from a previous image (this image includes msvc-8.0 through msvc-14.0), after the re-load everything was good for a while. 
A few weeks later, I installed the new Visual Studio 2017 RC (i.e. msvc-15.0, I believe?) and immediately the msvc-9.0 build started to fail again, in the same  manner. At this point I remembered that I *had* installed an early beta of Visual Studio 2017 on the VM previously, which in hind-site was also causing the earlier problems.

Today, I spent a little time on the VM trying to determine what was broken about the msvc-9.0 install. And my conclusion is that nothing is wrong and it is working fine! All the projects that I attempted to build with it went fine. 

Thus, I'm adding boost-build to the list, because I believe that there is something in our build configuration that is causing the problem. I'm not sure how to start debugging this however, so I was hoping for some pointers from those with more experience in boost-build. I believe that Visual Studio 2017 is going to be released next week, so it would be nice to get rid of this regression before then.

I also have a copy of the results-bjam.log file, but it is too big to put into the gist.


Unsubscribe & other changes: