Re: [bitfield] More portable implementation available inthevault

Re: [bitfield] More portable implementation available inthevault

Martin Bonner

Re: [bitfield] More portable implementation availableinthevault

Andy Little
> Andy Little wrote
"Martin Bonner" wrote

Yes. it still says unknown compression algorithm.

> I have just opened it with WinZip 8.0 and it worked fine

When I'm feeling lazy I use  the so-called Windows Extraction Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cf_extract.mspx

Select your file, Right Click and select "Extract All". That comes up with
"unknown compression format."
For big files the Wizards incredibly slow so I use PKZip 4.0 (PKZip having
invented the format AFAIK).

However PKZip crashes on this file. Comes up in the debugger  with "Unhandled
exception at 0x0043c90d in pkzipw.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading
location 0x43435542."

My guess is that somebody has extended the original pkzip format and made that
the default when compressing files, for whatever reason I dont know, or maybe
the spec has been modified recently. Anyway I have had a couple of these files
which dont seem to follow the original spec in the last  couple of weeks and I
can do nothing with them whatsoever except to delete them I'm afraid as they
dont seem to be backward compatible with the original spec.

regards
Andy Little