Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Yes, I was thinking this should be added to boost when I saw the library
for the first time.

/Viktor

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 3:12 AM Zach Laine via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> About 14 months ago I posted the same thing.  There was significant work
> that needed to be done to Boost.Text (the proposed library), and I was a
> bit burned out.
>
> Now I've managed to make the necessary changes, and I feel the library is
> ready for review, if there is interest.
>
> This library, in part, is something I want to standardize.
>
> It started as a better string library for namespace "std2", with minimal
> Unicode support.  Though "std2" will almost certainly never happen now,
> those string types are still in there, and the library has grown to also
> include all the Unicode features most users will ever need.
>
> Github: https://github.com/tzlaine/text
> Online docs: https://tzlaine.github.io/text
>
> If you care about portable Unicode support, or even addressing the
> embarrassment of being the only major production language with next to no
> Unicode support, please have a look and provide feedback.
>
> I gave a talk about this at C++Now in May 2018, and now it's a bit out of
> date, as the library was not then finished.  It's three hours, so, y'know,
> maybe skip it.  For completeness' sake:
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944GjKxwMBo&index=7&list=PL_AKIMJc4roVSbTTfHReQTl1dc9ms0lWH
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2xMAqCZL8&list=PL_AKIMJc4roVSbTTfHReQTl1dc9ms0lWH&index=8
>
> Zach

Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
I saw that talk (on video) and was quite impressed but never got to
try your library out.
Would be happy to use a library like this! Can you tell me how it
relates to the proposed std?

/Peter

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 3:11 AM Zach Laine via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> About 14 months ago I posted the same thing.  There was significant work
> that needed to be done to Boost.Text (the proposed library), and I was a
> bit burned out.
>
> Now I've managed to make the necessary changes, and I feel the library is
> ready for review, if there is interest.
>
> This library, in part, is something I want to standardize.
>
> It started as a better string library for namespace "std2", with minimal
> Unicode support.  Though "std2" will almost certainly never happen now,
> those string types are still in there, and the library has grown to also
> include all the Unicode features most users will ever need.
>
> Github: https://github.com/tzlaine/text
> Online docs: https://tzlaine.github.io/text
>
> If you care about portable Unicode support, or even addressing the
> embarrassment of being the only major production language with next to no
> Unicode support, please have a look and provide feedback.
>
> I gave a talk about this at C++Now in May 2018, and now it's a bit out of
> date, as the library was not then finished.  It's three hours, so, y'know,
> maybe skip it.  For completeness' sake:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944GjKxwMBo&index=7&list=PL_AKIMJc4roVSbTTfHReQTl1dc9ms0lWH
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2xMAqCZL8&list=PL_AKIMJc4roVSbTTfHReQTl1dc9ms0lWH&index=8
>
> Zach

Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:47 AM Peter Koch Larsen <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw that talk (on video) and was quite impressed but never got to
> try your library out.
> Would be happy to use a library like this! Can you tell me how it
> relates to the proposed std?

There is no relationship yet.  Boost.Text is an experiment meant to gather
feedback, which will in turn drive the standardization effort.  I believe
all large libraries should have Boost-equivalent visibility in the C++
community before being standardized.  That being said, some of my fellow
SG-16 members (that's the committee's Unicode Study Group) have started
proposing some actual APIs for standardization.  The first of these is the
most low-level: transcoding (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1629r0.html ).
JeanHeyd's approach is more ambitious than mine -- I really only care about
Unicode.  His proposal covers conversions among all possible encodings,
including an API that lets users add implementations for the encodings they
care about that are not covered by the standard.

There are no other in-flight Unicode API proposals that I'm aware of.

Zach

Re: [Boost] Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
This proposed Text library has facilities that perform dynamic allocation,
but do not support custom allocators?

i.e. Not even the polymorphic allocators? (even if not the C++ allocator
model which would require facilities become templates)

I recall this was the case a while ago, not sure if intentions have changed
since.

Glen

Re: [Boost] Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:20 AM Glen Fernandes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This proposed Text library has facilities that perform dynamic allocation,
> but do not support custom allocators?
>
> i.e. Not even the polymorphic allocators? (even if not the C++ allocator
> model which would require facilities become templates)
>
> I recall this was the case a while ago, not sure if intentions have
> changed since.

Yes, that's right.  There are no allocators.

Zach

Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

How is the debug-support of your new string classes in IDEs?

I assume it's pain in the ass, if you can't debug string values...

Re: Interest in a Unicode library for Boost?

   I have been meaning to have a closer look at that library for weeks
   now,
   but unfortunately I don't sem to find the time to do so. So I'm just
   writing
   down some thoughts:

   First of all, I hihgly support the inclusion of this
   library into boost (assuming there aren't any major design problems).
   C++ needs unicode support easy text processing - the former being a
   prerequisite
   for the latter. The only way we get those things into the standard is
   if the
   different approaches get battle tested in anger, in real-life projects.

   What the average programmer like me (who is not working on a text
   editor) imho needs is the ability to read text from one interface, do
   some basic
   input validation, normalize it, (potentially) split it up and or parse
   parts of it,
   store other parts through a different interface, retrieve all of that
   later and
   send it on through a different text based interface. During all that I
   don't want
   to have to worry too much about whethernon-asccii text got broken in
   betweeen. And in particular I should not have to worry about the
   particularities
   of how unicode works to o that.

   For that, I think it is much more important to have encoding aware
   interface
   types and easy to use transcoding functions than a full set of unicode
   text processing algorithms. Not that I'm not happy when they are there,
   but at least for the standard, lets please focus on what standards are
   for:

   Facilitate and enable components from different 3rd pary vendors to
   work
   seemlessly together!

   I'm also very happy to see that the library focuses on the 90% cases
   instead
   of trying to be flexible enough to be usable for every possible use
   case and
   under every possible circumstance.

   Best

   Mike