Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi David,
I wonder if there would be any interest in a Computable Reals Library?
I think it will be a great addition for scientific calculations.

The general idea is representing a number by an algorithm with random
access to its digits, passing around the number and lazy accessing its
digits to answer predicates.
A good reference would be the Computable Calculus book by Oliver Aberth,
and a good use case would be on Discrete-Event Simulators.

If there is interest, I can make a proposal for it.
To scope it to something achievable in a GSOC, I would only propose to
implement operators +, -, *, /, =, !=, <, and make proper documentation.
The implementation should follow the algorithms proposed Aberth's book
chapters 1 and 2.

Book for ref:
-
https://www.elsevier.com/books/computable-calculus/aberth/978-0-08-050247-2
-
https://books.google.ca/books?id=sDp0enu9iEUC&pg=PR4&lpg=PR4&dq=computable+calculus+library&source=bl&ots=I7MBVJZhEw&sig=b3ajmVjm74AATu4XhOEoXRCSbWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix1Mqfg-fYAhWi7YMKHcbzB2QQ6AEIVTAH#v=onepage&q&f=false

Best regards,
Damian Vicino

> ​Hi everyone,
>
> still a few days before we submit our proposal to Google. Don't loose the
> chance to become a mentor for Boost. It shines on your CV, it is a great
> opportunity to work with brilliant students around the world, it makes you
> an official C++ world-wide expert​.
>
> So far, we have a nice but little list of proposals here:
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
>
> It would be good to have a bit more before I go and submit to Google. This
> will increase our chances to be selected again this year. For Boost it's a
> great funding worth several thousand of dollars every year. We just don't
> want to miss it.
>
> Best regards,
> David

Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
I think this could definitively be a good proposal. I don't know personally
about that but from what you describe, it looks like a potential addition
to Boost and, for sure, a nice, GSoC project.

Can you write your proposal on
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
please
Thanks
David

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Damian Vicino via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> I wonder if there would be any interest in a Computable Reals Library?
> I think it will be a great addition for scientific calculations.
>
> The general idea is representing a number by an algorithm with random
> access to its digits, passing around the number and lazy accessing its
> digits to answer predicates.
> A good reference would be the Computable Calculus book by Oliver Aberth,
> and a good use case would be on Discrete-Event Simulators.
>
> If there is interest, I can make a proposal for it.
> To scope it to something achievable in a GSOC, I would only propose to
> implement operators +, -, *, /, =, !=, <, and make proper documentation.
> The implementation should follow the algorithms proposed Aberth's book
> chapters 1 and 2.
>
> Book for ref:
> -
> https://www.elsevier.com/books/computable-calculus/
> aberth/978-0-08-050247-2
> -
> https://books.google.ca/books?id=sDp0enu9iEUC&pg=PR4&lpg=
> PR4&dq=computable+calculus+library&source=bl&ots=I7MBVJZhEw&sig=
> b3ajmVjm74AATu4XhOEoXRCSbWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix1Mqfg-
> fYAhWi7YMKHcbzB2QQ6AEIVTAH#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> Best regards,
> Damian Vicino

> > ​Hi everyone,
> >
> > still a few days before we submit our proposal to Google. Don't loose the
> > chance to become a mentor for Boost. It shines on your CV, it is a great
> > opportunity to work with brilliant students around the world, it makes
> you
> > an official C++ world-wide expert​.
> >
> > So far, we have a nice but little list of proposals here:
> > https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
> >
> > It would be good to have a bit more before I go and submit to Google.
> This
> > will increase our chances to be selected again this year. For Boost it's
> > great funding worth several thousand of dollars every year. We just don't
> > want to miss it.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > David

Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Done, added my new proposal:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018#4-boostreal

> Hi David,
> I wonder if there would be any interest in a Computable Reals Library?
> I think it will be a great addition for scientific calculations.
>
> The general idea is representing a number by an algorithm with random
> access to its digits, passing around the number and lazy accessing its
> digits to answer predicates.
> A good reference would be the Computable Calculus book by Oliver Aberth,
> and a good use case would be on Discrete-Event Simulators.
>
> If there is interest, I can make a proposal for it.
> To scope it to something achievable in a GSOC, I would only propose to
> implement operators +, -, *, /, =, !=, <, and make proper documentation.
> The implementation should follow the algorithms proposed Aberth's book
> chapters 1 and 2.
>
> Book for ref:
> - https://www.elsevier.com/books/computable-calculus/
> aberth/978-0-08-050247-2
> - https://books.google.ca/books?id=sDp0enu9iEUC&pg=PR4&lpg=
> PR4&dq=computable+calculus+library&source=bl&ots=I7MBVJZhEw&sig=
> b3ajmVjm74AATu4XhOEoXRCSbWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix1Mqfg-
> fYAhWi7YMKHcbzB2QQ6AEIVTAH#v=onepage&q&f=false
>
> Best regards,
> Damian Vicino

>> ​Hi everyone,
>>
>> still a few days before we submit our proposal to Google. Don't loose the
>> chance to become a mentor for Boost. It shines on your CV, it is a great
>> opportunity to work with brilliant students around the world, it makes you
>> an official C++ world-wide expert​.
>>
>> So far, we have a nice but little list of proposals here:
>> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
>>
>> It would be good to have a bit more before I go and submit to Google. This
>> will increase our chances to be selected again this year. For Boost it's a
>> great funding worth several thousand of dollars every year. We just don't
>> want to miss it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> David

Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi David,
I got a student (Laouen Belloli) interested in the Reals project. I talked
with him yesterday and I already know his coding level, he was contributing
to another c++ open source project I contribute (Cadmium simulator) .
Should I move the project to prearranged section before you sent the final
proposal for organizations today?
Best regards,
Damian

> Done, added my new proposal: https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-
> Google-Summer-of-Code-2018#4-boostreal

>> Hi David,
>> I wonder if there would be any interest in a Computable Reals Library?
>> I think it will be a great addition for scientific calculations.
>>
>> The general idea is representing a number by an algorithm with random
>> access to its digits, passing around the number and lazy accessing its
>> digits to answer predicates.
>> A good reference would be the Computable Calculus book by Oliver Aberth,
>> and a good use case would be on Discrete-Event Simulators.
>>
>> If there is interest, I can make a proposal for it.
>> To scope it to something achievable in a GSOC, I would only propose to
>> implement operators +, -, *, /, =, !=, <, and make proper documentation.
>> The implementation should follow the algorithms proposed Aberth's book
>> chapters 1 and 2.
>>
>> Book for ref:
>> - https://www.elsevier.com/books/computable-calculus/aberth/
>> 978-0-08-050247-2
>> - https://books.google.ca/books?id=sDp0enu9iEUC&pg=PR4&lpg=PR4
>> &dq=computable+calculus+library&source=bl&ots=I7MBVJZhEw&
>> sig=b3ajmVjm74AATu4XhOEoXRCSbWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=
>> 0ahUKEwix1Mqfg-fYAhWi7YMKHcbzB2QQ6AEIVTAH#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Damian Vicino

>> :
>>
>>> ​Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> still a few days before we submit our proposal to Google. Don't loose the
>>> chance to become a mentor for Boost. It shines on your CV, it is a great
>>> opportunity to work with brilliant students around the world, it makes
>>> you
>>> an official C++ world-wide expert​.
>>>
>>> So far, we have a nice but little list of proposals here:
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018
>>>
>>> It would be good to have a bit more before I go and submit to Google.
>>> This
>>> will increase our chances to be selected again this year. For Boost it's
>>> great funding worth several thousand of dollars every year. We just don't
>>> want to miss it.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> David

Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Damian,

sorry for the late reply. If you didn't move it yet, do it now.
Google will start looking at our list on Monday night/Tuesday.

The application is done already, but the project's list is still open.

Cheers,
David

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Damian Vicino via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> I got a student (Laouen Belloli) interested in the Reals project. I talked
> with him yesterday and I already know his coding level, he was contributing
> to another c++ open source project I contribute (Cadmium simulator) .
> Should I move the project to prearranged section before you sent the final
> proposal for organizations today?
> Best regards,
> Damian

> > Done, added my new proposal: https://github.com/boostorg/
> boost/wiki/Boost-
> > Google-Summer-of-Code-2018#4-boostreal

> >> Hi David,
> >> I wonder if there would be any interest in a Computable Reals Library?
> >> I think it will be a great addition for scientific calculations.
> >>
> >> The general idea is representing a number by an algorithm with random
> >> access to its digits, passing around the number and lazy accessing its
> >> digits to answer predicates.
> >> A good reference would be the Computable Calculus book by Oliver Aberth,
> >> and a good use case would be on Discrete-Event Simulators.
> >>
> >> If there is interest, I can make a proposal for it.
> >> To scope it to something achievable in a GSOC, I would only propose to
> >> implement operators +, -, *, /, =, !=, <, and make proper documentation.
> >> The implementation should follow the algorithms proposed Aberth's book
> >> chapters 1 and 2.
> >>
> >> Book for ref:
> >> - https://www.elsevier.com/books/computable-calculus/aberth/
> >> 978-0-08-050247-2
> >> - https://books.google.ca/books?id=sDp0enu9iEUC&pg=PR4&lpg=PR4
> >> &dq=computable+calculus+library&source=bl&ots=I7MBVJZhEw&
> >> sig=b3ajmVjm74AATu4XhOEoXRCSbWw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=
> >> 0ahUKEwix1Mqfg-fYAhWi7YMKHcbzB2QQ6AEIVTAH#v=onepage&q&f=false
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Damian Vicino

> [hidden email]>
> >> :

> the
> great

> Summer-of-Code-2018

> it's
> don't

Re: Google Summer of Code with Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Just did it for you in fact. No need to worry

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:59 AM, David Bellot <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Damian,
>
> sorry for the late reply. If you didn't move it yet, do it now.
> Google will start looking at our list on Monday night/Tuesday.
>
> The application is done already, but the project's list is still open.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Damian Vicino via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>> I got a student (Laouen Belloli) interested in the Reals project. I talked
>> with him yesterday and I already know his coding level, he was
>> contributing
>> to another c++ open source project I contribute (Cadmium simulator) .
>> Should I move the project to prearranged section before you sent the final
>> proposal for organizations today?
>> Best regards,
>> Damian

>> > Done, added my new proposal: https://github.com/boostorg/bo