Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 10/01/2018, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Boost community,
>
> once again this year, we will apply to be a mentoring organization for the
> Google Summer of Code 2018. Our organization has been quite succesful for
> the last decade and this year we hope to be selected again.
>
> As part of filling in our application for 2018, we must supply to Google a
> list of potential GSoC mentors and potential GSoC projects for summer 2018
> in order to be approved as an organisation this year.
>
> Therefore a lengthy page of awesome project ideas at
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2018 before *January 23rd* would
> be an enormous help to getting us approved again this year and bringing to
> Boost another Google funding (worth dozens of thousands of dollars on
> average).

A student here rather than a mentor, but I'd still like to propose a
project. Last year we had a Boost.StaticMap[1] project which evolved into
Boost.StaticViews[2]. Niall Douglas was kind enough to mentor me during
the summer.

Boost.StaticViews is a very small C++14 library for manipulation of
compile-time data ("constexpr"-level, not "type"-level). It consists of
two layers: low-level views and non-owning containers implemented on top
of them. The views part resembles some similarity with Ranges and
could in the future be replaced by it if/when Ranges reach the high
enough level of constexpr-ness. As for the containers part, currently it
has an implementation of a static_map, a non-owning hash table with
amortized O(1) accesses which are completely optimised away if input is
available at compile-time.

Although the last GSoC lay some good foundation, quite a bit of work
still needs to be done before StaticViews can be proposed for inclusion
into Boost. With high study load I can't find enough time to seriously
work on the library now, but I believe that with some mentoring I should
be able to bring in to review-ready state during summer vacation.

Does this seem like a project Boost community could benefit from? If so,
are there any volunteers who would be willing to guide me?

Thanks in advance!

[1] https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2017
[2] https://github.com/BoostGSoC17/static-views

Tom

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Boost - Dev mailing list
Boost has developed many libraries which is useful in the field of science.
I would like to propose a library for "Astronomy" as a student.

I have been an amateur astronomer since last 8 years and being a Computer
Engineering student I will be able to develop this library with little
mentoring. I have some ideas about what can be integrated into it, which I
can propose if the proposal seems promising.

If so are there anyone who can help me out with this?

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Tom Westerhout via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/01/2018, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear Boost community,
> >
> > once again this year, we will apply to be a mentoring organization for
> the
> > Google Summer of Code 2018. Our organization has been quite succesful for
> > the last decade and this year we hope to be selected again.
> >
> > As part of filling in our application for 2018, we must supply to Google
> > list of potential GSoC mentors and potential GSoC projects for summer
> 2018
> > in order to be approved as an organisation this year.
> >
> > Therefore a lengthy page of awesome project ideas at
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2018 before *January 23rd*
> would
> > be an enormous help to getting us approved again this year and bringing
> > Boost another Google funding (worth dozens of thousands of dollars on
> > average).
>
> A student here rather than a mentor, but I'd still like to propose a
> project. Last year we had a Boost.StaticMap[1] project which evolved into
> Boost.StaticViews[2]. Niall Douglas was kind enough to mentor me during
> the summer.
>
> Boost.StaticViews is a very small C++14 library for manipulation of
> compile-time data ("constexpr"-level, not "type"-level). It consists of
> two layers: low-level views and non-owning containers implemented on top
> of them. The views part resembles some similarity with Ranges and
> could in the future be replaced by it if/when Ranges reach the high
> enough level of constexpr-ness. As for the containers part, currently it
> has an implementation of a static_map, a non-owning hash table with
> amortized O(1) accesses which are completely optimised away if input is
> available at compile-time.
>
> Although the last GSoC lay some good foundation, quite a bit of work
> still needs to be done before StaticViews can be proposed for inclusion
> into Boost. With high study load I can't find enough time to seriously
> work on the library now, but I believe that with some mentoring I should
> be able to bring in to review-ready state during summer vacation.
>
> Does this seem like a project Boost community could benefit from? If so,
> are there any volunteers who would be willing to guide me?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> [1] https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2017
> [2] https://github.com/BoostGSoC17/static-views
>

> Tom

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

> A student here rather than a mentor, but I'd still like to propose a
> project. Last year we had a Boost.StaticMap[1] project which evolved into
> Boost.StaticViews[2]. Niall Douglas was kind enough to mentor me during
> the summer.

I'd like to say that Tom was a great student last year, and that his
coding was impressive. The project is niche, but serves that niche well
and can plug into greater things.

I'd prefer another Boost member to mentor him if possible as this
summer, unlike last summer, I have an extremely full schedule. I am
working away from home in Dublin in an onsite contract for long, long
hours per day during which my internet access is severely restricted (no
Google services for example, all blocked). I get about two free hours
per day on the train commuting to and from work during which internet
barely works. My weekends are currently spent 100% looking after small
children. I unfortunately would not be able to act as a useful mentor to
Tom this summer, so if anyone else could step up, it would be very helpful.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Hi Tom,

to make it short, yes I think it could be a good contribution. I'm sure we
can find a mentor too to help you on your project.
If you can write a short proposal and add it to
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2018 that would be great.

Best,
David

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:41 PM, Tom Westerhout via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/01/2018, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear Boost community,
> >
> > once again this year, we will apply to be a mentoring organization for
> the
> > Google Summer of Code 2018. Our organization has been quite succesful for
> > the last decade and this year we hope to be selected again.
> >
> > As part of filling in our application for 2018, we must supply to Google
> > list of potential GSoC mentors and potential GSoC projects for summer
> 2018
> > in order to be approved as an organisation this year.
> >
> > Therefore a lengthy page of awesome project ideas at
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2018 before *January 23rd*
> would
> > be an enormous help to getting us approved again this year and bringing
> > Boost another Google funding (worth dozens of thousands of dollars on
> > average).
>
> A student here rather than a mentor, but I'd still like to propose a
> project. Last year we had a Boost.StaticMap[1] project which evolved into
> Boost.StaticViews[2]. Niall Douglas was kind enough to mentor me during
> the summer.
>
> Boost.StaticViews is a very small C++14 library for manipulation of
> compile-time data ("constexpr"-level, not "type"-level). It consists of
> two layers: low-level views and non-owning containers implemented on top
> of them. The views part resembles some similarity with Ranges and
> could in the future be replaced by it if/when Ranges reach the high
> enough level of constexpr-ness. As for the containers part, currently it
> has an implementation of a static_map, a non-owning hash table with
> amortized O(1) accesses which are completely optimised away if input is
> available at compile-time.
>
> Although the last GSoC lay some good foundation, quite a bit of work
> still needs to be done before StaticViews can be proposed for inclusion
> into Boost. With high study load I can't find enough time to seriously
> work on the library now, but I believe that with some mentoring I should
> be able to bring in to review-ready state during summer vacation.
>
> Does this seem like a project Boost community could benefit from? If so,
> are there any volunteers who would be willing to guide me?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> [1] https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2017
> [2] https://github.com/BoostGSoC17/static-views
>

> Tom

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Having a recommendation from Niall means a lot to me.
Please someone mentors Tom. I really mean it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do it myself because (1) I don't have to
right knowledge for this kind of project and (2) I hope to mentor again on
uBLAS.

On 17/01/2018, David Bellot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you can write a short proposal and add it to
> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2018 that would be great.

David, thanks for the reply! I have a really stupid question: where can
I get credentials to to login into Trac? Somehow my Boost-dev
email+password combination doesn't seem to work...

Tom

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

I've added the Boost.StaticViews proposal to the wiki:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018#1-bringing-booststaticviews-to-review-ready-state
Two things might be worth noting. Firstly, I've created a section for
"pre-arranged" project as I expect no other student to want to finish my
work. Secondly, I've omitted the "Programming Competency" part as I hope
that the library itself is enough.

On 17/01/2018, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Having a recommendation from Niall means a lot to me.
> Please someone mentors Tom. I really mean it.

I'd like to add that for the mentor this project shouldn't take too much
time. I greatly appreciate feedback, because that's the best way to
learn, but I think won't need too much help and can do pretty much all
the work myself.

Tom

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Boost - Dev mailing list
> On 17/01/2018, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Having a recommendation from Niall means a lot to me.
>> Please someone mentors Tom. I really mean it.
>
> I'd like to add that for the mentor this project shouldn't take too much
> time. I greatly appreciate feedback, because that's the best way to
> learn, but I think won't need too much help and can do pretty much all
> the work myself.

I would concur. Tom basically goes off and makes great code all on his
own. A mentor merely has to watch the commits, maybe comment a bit here
and there, other than that Tom mostly needs advice on best direction and
where is best to focus on, stuff he can't know yet. Advice experience
gives you.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting