Re: Aggregate usage statistics request for Boost

Re: Aggregate usage statistics request for Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 10:03, Joshua Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A few of us with Boost are trying to decide support of different compilers.  I know that Ubuntu collects some anonymized statistics which could help us some.  Could someone please collect and forward the following bits of information to [hidden email] :
> Install base size of Ubuntu 14.04 to 19.04
> Per OS version, what versions of GCC, Clang, and Boost are installed on what percentage of the install base.

From Ubuntu development point of view, our biggest concern is that no
stable releases of boost claim to be supported or tested with the next
GCC compiler.

For example, for 19.10 we will be switching to GCC-9 by default, yet
boost 1.70.0 primary test compilers do not include GCC-9 for Linux.
Ideally, we would like to see boost upstream include next-gcc as part
of primary or additional test compilers for every boost release.

W.R.T. Install base size ratios and which boosts are in use -> we do
not have statistics on what you are asking for. I.e. default compilers
are installed on all systems (to support dkms), some boost runtime
libraries are also always installed as quite a few packages depend on
boost runtimes. And dev packages are not tracked and impossible to
tell if they are installed by accident or on purpose.

We can say generically, that our LTS releases are used a lot more than
non-LTS releases, and thus by extension default compilers and boost
versions within those are used more. And LTS cycles do follow an
overlap, where for a while after one LTS release, the previous LTS is
the most popular, and then it rolls over eventually.

Our default compiler is GCC for all packages. LLVM toolchain is used
for mesa and intel graphics compiler, and like that's it. Mesa
requirements are what drives LLVM toolchain updates in Ubuntu.

Next LTS
20.04 -> to be determined

Current Development
19.10 -> 1.67.0, gcc 8.3 being switched to gcc 9, clang 8.0 (or newer)

Current LTS releases (most popular at the moment)
18.04 -> 1.65.1, gcc 7.4, clang 6.0
16.04 -> 1.58.0, gcc 5.3, clang 3.8

Past basic support, in Extended Maintainance Support LTS (very old,
and declining in usage)
14.04 -> 1.54.0, gcc 4.8, clang 3.4
12.04 -> 1.48.0, gcc 4.6, clang 3.0

Dimitri.

Re: Aggregate usage statistics request for Boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Dimitri John Ledkov via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 10:03, Joshua Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A few of us with Boost are trying to decide support of different
> compilers.  I know that Ubuntu collects some anonymized statistics which
> could help us some.  Could someone please collect and forward the following
> bits of information to [hidden email] :
> > Install base size of Ubuntu 14.04 to 19.04
> > Per OS version, what versions of GCC, Clang, and Boost are installed on
> what percentage of the install base.
> > --
>
> From Ubuntu development point of view, our biggest concern is that no
> stable releases of boost claim to be supported or tested with the next
> GCC compiler.
>
> For example, for 19.10 we will be switching to GCC-9 by default, yet
> boost 1.70.0 primary test compilers do not include GCC-9 for Linux.
> Ideally, we would like to see boost upstream include next-gcc as part
> of primary or additional test compilers for every boost release.

Dimitri --

Setting up your own test runner and feeding that back into the Boost test
infrastructure is documented here.
    https://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html

We can always use more testers.

-- Marshall (who runs a set of Mac OS testers from his home office)

Re: Aggregate usage statistics request for Boost

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM Dimitri John Ledkov via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 10:03, Joshua Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A few of us with Boost are trying to decide support of different
> compilers.  I know that Ubuntu collects some anonymized statistics which
> could help us some.  Could someone please collect and forward the following
> bits of information to [hidden email] :
> > Install base size of Ubuntu 14.04 to 19.04
> > Per OS version, what versions of GCC, Clang, and Boost are installed on
> what percentage of the install base.
> > --
>
> From Ubuntu development point of view, our biggest concern is that no
> stable releases of boost claim to be supported or tested with the next
> GCC compiler.
>
> For example, for 19.10 we will be switching to GCC-9 by default, yet
> boost 1.70.0 primary test compilers do not include GCC-9 for Linux.
> Ideally, we would like to see boost upstream include next-gcc as part
> of primary or additional test compilers for every boost release.

I run all the teeks99-* testers that can be found in the test matrix [1]
[2]. All these runners are docker instances based on scripts found in my
repo [3] (get them from the hub [4]) which in turn are based on these [5].
These are all based on Ubuntu LTS releases. For the released compiler for
each release that is used in the image, but for most gcc versions I use the
compiler from the PPA for Toolchain Test Builds [6]. I've been waiting with
baited breath for a gcc-9 build for bionic to be pushed up to there (and
even an update to the gcc-8 for point releases!). If you can make that
happen (or point me towards an alternative?) I can get tests running
against gcc-9 in short order.

LLVM is a much easier setup. That project provides their own builds of
llvm/clang for ubuntu [7], for every release, point release, and even
nightly master. Ideally someone should setup something similar for GCC, but
I don't think I'll have time to take that on in the near future.

Tom

[1] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html
[2] https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html
[3] https://github.com/teeks99/boost-cpp-docker