Question about Boost::Interprocess::Allocators.

Question about Boost::Interprocess::Allocators.

Boost - Users mailing list
Hi folks,

I got a question about the boost::interprocess::allocators. I am a little confused as to when to use the standard shared memory allocator, and when to use node_allocator, or any of the other ones.

What's the advantage and disadvantage of each? I read through the documentation, but it's not making a whole lot of sense.

I am mainly using the allocators with the spsc_queue to transfer objects around, which may contain vectors floats or strings.

One thing also confused me a little is that the non-standard shared memory allocators are all marked as not thread safe? I am not sure what does this mean. I assume these allocators will be interprocess safe? As in, I don't need to lock the shared memory to allocate memory, right? Maybe it means I can't share these allocators between threads in the same process?

Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Da.

Re: Question about Boost::Interprocess::Allocators.

Boost - Users mailing list

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 at 21:08, Da Xu via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
... when to use the standard shared memory allocator ...

The answer is in the question.

degski
--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski